Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled over for no front plate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for all the responses. It seems most people are ticketed when parked on the street. I rarely park on public streets. Seems most police officers won't pull you over just for a missing plate.

Appreciate the feedback.

I'm in NJ, where a front plate is required. $100 fine if enforced.

My new ( 1 week old) Tesla MYP is the first car I've owned for which I'd REALLY like to not have the front plate. The front just isn't made for it, in my opinion. I see a lot of Teslas, and others as well, running around locally without the front plate. As others have mentioned, it's a game of chance, and your attitude if stopped probably goes a long way towards a good outcome.

I ordered the Quick Bandit, and will likely attach the front plate to it & keep it in the frunk, & hope for leniency from the officer if I get stopped & provide a story of some sort.

2 years and 20K in MA and so far so good.
MA used to have plates that allowed it and had one until recently. Still some of those on the road.

I put the plate on with double sided tape for inspection then pop it off. It’s always in the Frunk ready to stick on. Proper install on Model X requires drilling holes.

I'm in VA too.
The original front plate holder that came with my car had double sided tape on the back of it. They left it up to me to install it or not.
I bought one of these instead: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FRLH3TM . It works well.
Thank you. My Tesla is a lease which is one reason I'm hesitant to drill holes into it. Also, if most officers are not pulling cars over due to a missing front plate I'd rather take the chance. I can see parking enforcement ticketing cars without plates (especially in DC). But, I rarely part on streets. My office is private parking and most areas I go all have private parking. I many chance it and leave the plate off the front.

Appreciate all the responses!

I've been driving for 30+ years with no front plate on all my cars. I plan to do the same with my upcoming MYLR. Here in CA it is required, but I see so many cars without them, especially Teslas. Same goes for front window tint. I plan to tint the front windows the same darkness as the rest of the car. I've been doing this for 30+ years and never once been pulled over.

Reactions: Maxters
Hard to pull anyone over for this because you'd have to see both sides of the car to confirm they are an in-state driver. Back in the day, I had a car registered in Iowa, I did not run front plates. I only got a ticket when I was also pulled over for my tints. A suspect eye doctor note got me out of the windows, but I got a warning for the plates.

If you live in a state where a front plate is required, have you been pulled over by an officer for not having it on? I'm in Virginia where front plates are required, but I see about 50/50 Teslas with front plates. Wanted to gauge if anyone has been pulled over by an officer for not having the plate. Thanks!
I live in California. As I understand it, they can only issue a citation if you park on a public street, or if you are pulled over for another reason. They can't issue you a citation in a private parking lot. I've had Tesla's since early 2013, all without front license plates, and haven't had any issues.

Reactions: EmbersDC
Thank you for all the responses. I have yet to hear anyone have the experience of being pulled over just due to lack of a front plate in Virginia. Figured I'd ask. I have two friends who own Teslas and the dealership near us does not put the plate on upon pick up. It's up to the owner. Since this is a lease I do not want to drill holes into the bumper.

Thank you for all the responses. I have yet to hear anyone have the experience of being pulled over just due to lack of a front plate in Virginia. Figured I'd ask. I have two friends who own Teslas and the dealership near us does not put the plate on upon pick up. It's up to the owner. Since this is a lease I do not want to drill holes into the bumper.

you don't have to drill, they come with double sided tape for the holder to adhere to the bumper. If you don't want to use it have at it, but drilling holes is not a necessity to using a plate.

Reactions: sleepydoc
What is the big objection with complying with a lawful requirement of placing a license plate on the front of your vehicle?
Because it detracts from the look of the car. I have the Quick Bandit. It’s the best of both worlds. Easy to take on and off for washing or detailing. No holes in the bumper or double sided tape to mar the paint. Sometimes I forget to put it back on but I’ve never had any issues with getting pulled over or ticketed while parked.

Because it detracts from the look of the car. I have the Quick Bandit. It’s the best of both worlds. Easy to take on and off for washing or detailing. No holes in the bumper or double sided tape to mar the paint. Sometimes I forget to put it back on but I’ve never had any issues with getting pulled over or ticketed while parked.
Do you also complain that the headlights or turn signals detract from the look of the vehicle? How about the rear license plate? Might as well remove that, too.