Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled Over on Delivery Day!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So... As many of you guys might've seen, I have been waiting to get my Tesla for nearly 2 whole months now!

Today I finally took delivery and was enjoying everything that car has to offer... At least everything about it I've found so far.

On my way home in the evening, I took a protected left and quickly accelerated for 2 seconds and I see the dreaded blue lights behind me. Cop pulled me over and asked for my license... And then he started walking around and taking down the VIN number. He said he was behind me and I just "took off" and that my temporary plates didn't come up with anything. I told him I literally picked it up this morning and he asked if I had anything else I could show him, paperwork-wise. I scrambled and showed him my insurance, order agreement, maroney, etc.

He walked back to his car and when I looked back, I noticed 3 more cop cars lined up behind him... Straight up my new red Tesla Model 3 with 4 cop cars with lights flashing behind me!!!

He came back to my window and asked me to open the door. That scared *sugar* outta me thinking he was gonna arrest me for something lmao. He just ended up tryna see if there was any more info bout car on the driver side so whew, I was fine.

Then another cop came up on passenger side and started asking me how much the car costs and whether it drives itself. We end up chatting it up about Teslas for several minutes until original cop came back.

He told me I didn't do anything wrong but he pulled me over cause it was suspicious how my car didn't show any records (cause it's literally brand new) and the fact that I took off so fast when he was behind me. I apologized and said I'd be more careful and whatnot. He told me to have fun and safely enjoy the new car and then let me go!

So yah, what a first experience on day one with my Model 3... Hopefully less stressful memories from now on!

Obligatory picture of car!

PXL_20201129_195226417.jpg

In the early days of the Viper , folks said you could expect to get
pulled over every day. Most of the time just to look at the car, even worse
if you were a blond. I passed on the Viper. During a test drive we collected 4-5
cops behind us until we got back to the dealer. Got to love Texas.

He told me I didn't do anything wrong but he pulled me over

Yeah, yeah, you know you were thinking terrorist thoughts and forgot your tinfoil hat. :p

Besides, that's MY exact car your driving. It was supposed to come to me. So what if you ordered it before I did mine. It's just not fair. :D

LOL, just kidding. Congratulations, it looks great! Now I really can't wait. :( Mine is on a train somewhere on the way to KC, probably on a siding just sitting there.

Glad you ran into some nice cops who let you go with a warning. Pretty crappy to have gotten a ticket on your very first hours of ownership, so I'm glad you didn't. But yeah if a cop is behind ya don't take off....easier said than done sometimes when your senses are reeling with that new car smell and that phenomenal acceleration! :D

Reactions: thewallaby
Glad you ran into some nice cops who let you go with a warning. Pretty crappy to have gotten a ticket on your very first hours of ownership, so I'm glad you didn't. But yeah if a cop is behind ya don't take off....easier said than done sometimes when your senses are reeling with that new car smell and that phenomenal acceleration! :D

Great story, happy all ended well. Don't do that again infront of cops. I know its tempting with a Tesla to do it all the time but reserve yourself for when you are alone in the street :)
Enjoy and be safe. Congrats!

I wouldn't have if I knew it was cop behind me but didn't really check until it was too late. Too caught up enjoying car at the moment.

Also found that it's especially difficult to see anything behind you after dark in this car as opposed to others.