Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled the trigger on 2015 P85D CPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ordered the beast through Tesla used website. Pictures here:

Dropbox - 5YJSA1E43FF103088 - Simplify your life

I will keep the thread updated with my buying experience. The car was located in San Diego, and I am in Bay Area. Hoping to have a smooth process, however, I am mentally prepared to walk away should there be any major issues not captures in the pictures.

Would appreciate inputs from members who recently went through this in San Diego pickup location.

Thank you very much. The community has been very very helpful in making an informed decision.

HOV sticker ineligibility would be a deal killer for me but unsure if it's a factor for you. Won't have the "+" suspension as well but assume you know that.
Yeah, I don't plan to use car for commute, my workplace provides a shuttle and if I do end up commuting, its always going to be off commute hours - even HOV lanes are jammed in Bay Area

I did not research much about + suspension, and hope that standard coil suspension would be good enough.

Just ordered the beast through Tesla used website. Pictures here:

Dropbox - 5YJSA1E43FF103088 - Simplify your life

I will keep the thread updated with my buying experience. The car was located in San Diego, and I am in Bay Area. Hoping to have a smooth process, however, I am mentally prepared to walk away should there be any major issues not captures in the pictures.

Would appreciate inputs from members who recently went through this in San Diego pickup location.

Hey first of all, congrats! Welcome to the family.

So I'm looking over the photos. You may want to play with the wheel, some damages on the curb. Tire does not look new to me. You will need to replace the tires pretty soon. It also has some minor scratch on the car but it seems negligible. I don't know the price of this car, but looks nice to me!

Congrats on the new acquisition... I'm abit confused by your post title. You say "pulled the plug", which makes me think that you were in the CPO process, got discouraged, and asked for your deposit back. But reading the rest of your post, I see that is not the case.

Reactions: mongo
Hey first of all, congrats! Welcome to the family.

So I'm looking over the photos. You may want to play with the wheel, some damages on the curb. Tire does not look new to me. You will need to replace the tires pretty soon. It also has some minor scratch on the car but it seems negligible. I don't know the price of this car, but looks nice to me!
Thank you. Wheels were my only concern, in the worst case I will purchase new tires. If there is significant damage on wheel, I will most likely not take the delivery.

I paid $53100 for the car.

Yikes! Gonna need some new tires ASAP.

Check the tread depth before you sign, make sure they are safe to drive off on. If not, demand new ones.

Yeah, that is the main concern with the car, hopefully I can convince the sale rep to have them replaced. The car is ~400 miles away, so want to make sure known issues are fixed before I decide to fly down there.

The car was built in 8/15 and was lease return. I looked at the CarFax report and nothing concerning came up. I am planning to get inspection report from sales rep, not sure if they will provide it. Anything else of concern here?

Yeah, that is the main concern with the car, hopefully I can convince the sale rep to have them replaced. The car is ~400 miles away, so want to make sure known issues are fixed before I decide to fly down there.

The car was built in 8/15 and was lease return. I looked at the CarFax report and nothing concerning came up. I am planning to get inspection report from sales rep, not sure if they will provide it. Anything else of concern here?

They are not going to “fix” anything for you on the car. CPO’s are sold as-is.

The one exception may be tires if they are deemed unsafe with regards to tread wear.

Reactions: cpobuyer
Thanks. I will work with the sales agent to see if they can help out here. I think there is some minimum requirements on tires.

Otherwise, will have to replace myself. Any idea who much the tires cost on this model?

Consider buying a set of Arachnid wheels and tires locally off TMC, Craiglist or eBay. Arachnids will give you new much better handling and acceleration since the Arachnids are so light and the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires are so sticky. Plus most people think my Arachnids look MUCH better than the 21" Turbines that came on my Ludicrous 2015 P85D+. Only downside is 21" tires wear faster and are more prone to road hazard damage... so recommend you get Tire Certificates from America's Tire which will cover replacement if one of your tires becomes unserviceable.

IMG_4840.JPG

Reactions: glide and cpobuyer
Consider buying a set of Arachnid wheels and tires locally off TMC, Craiglist or eBay.
Certainly, once the whole in my pocket fills up a little bit, will certainly look for these.

Just received Tesla's inspection list that they use for used vehicle. The tires has to be at a minimum of 4/32 (need to understand exactly what it means). If the tires are below this, they said that the tires will be replaced. Waiting to hear back from them with actual measurement.

Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 10.26.27 AM.png

I just picked up my 2015 S85 from the San Diego delivery center on Wednesday with similar mileage and pricing as yours (my expectations were also about as low as yours in that I came in ready to refuse delivery based on the cpo horror stories). However, my experience was good. As soon as I walked up to the delivery center I could see the car parked out front and I immediately knew everything would be fine. There was no additional damage that wasn't disclosed in the images. The car was detailed pretty thoroughly inside and out. The outside was washed and waxed. The interior of my car almost looks new. It was wiped down (door sills, dashboard, all the little nooks and crannies, etc), vacuumed, and steam cleaned (carpet, textile seats, both trunks). There were a few spots on the headliner that I cleaned when I got home and I will likely be buying new floor mats just because I'm weird about floor mats needing to always look new.

One thing that impressed me was that the delivery center did NOT use Armor All or anything like that on the interior of the car. I absolutely hate that shiny interior look and I think it's a lazy way to try and make a car's interior look clean. So I'm glad I don't have to spend two hours scrubbing that stuff off this weekend.

As a comparison, I purchased a used Lexus through Carmax last year (similar condition and mileage to my S) and I can objectively say that the Tesla delivery center did a far superior job prepping the car (Carmax loves Armor All and they apply it about as well as my 5 year old could).

Good luck with the purchase, I hope it goes as well as mine did.

I just picked up my 2015 S85 from the San Diego delivery center on Wednesday
Wow, that is so relieving specially since I am also picking up from the same delivery center. I am actually surprised with the speed so far, they called to give the car this Sunday (tomorrow) - however, since my loan is not ready I couldn't do it. So I pushed the delivery to next Sat - that way I can also spend a weekend in the beautiful city of San Diego.

The car was detailed pretty thoroughly inside and out. The outside was washed and waxed. The interior of my car almost looks new. It was wiped down (door sills, dashboard, all the little nooks and crannies, etc), vacuumed, and steam cleaned (carpet, textile seats, both trunks).
This is vastly different than what I have been reading here. I was under the impression that Tesla used cars don't get any detailing done prior to delivery. Hoping for similar experience. How long did the process take? I am scheduled for 10am delivery.