Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled the trigger on Jaguar i-pace as second EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, didn't realize they were being discounted by that much! I'm assuming your OTD price is pre-incentives/credits as well?

Typically "Out the door" for a car deal, means exactly that. It normally means "this is the price I wrote a check for / got financing for, and includes all rebates, additions, warranties, etc etc etc".

By definition, "OTD" would not be "pre incentives / credits", but include them.

Also, it would be virtually impossible for this OP to have gotten a price that much off MSRP that didnt include manufacturer incentives / trunk money etc, on a new vehicle.

Maybe you mean government rebates, etc?

EDIT.. got further in the thread, and understand the confusion. When I think about " pre incentives / credits" I am thinking about manufacturer rebates / credits, not government ones ones like federal tax credit, or state rebates etc.

So, I am assuming thats what you ment, which is different than what I was thinking about.

Back on thread topic, nice score on the deal, OP! I think the I-Pace is a very good looking vehicle. I happen to really love the look of it. I would totally lease one (but wouldnt buy it), but thats due to a lack of faith in JLR having a vehicle that would run for me without many issues over a 6-8 year vehicle ownership period.

Same reason I always leased my BMWs in fact, before I bought the model 3 since I am not as worried about it running for that long.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: DipStick
Just curious.... did you test drive the same configuration before signing on the dotted line? While my last two cars were essentially purchased over the internet (Tesla and 2000 BMW 323i), I had a chance to test drive the car with most of the options I wanted prior to ordering. With the BMW I went to a local dealer and got a test drive. I then ordered through CarOrder.com. With the 3 I rented one using Turo.com for a weekend. I don't think I could ever buy something like a new car (or even a used one) without first getting some experience on the road.
Yessir, the dealer in downtown Austin texas has a fully loaded i-pace on the floor and we test drove it. The one we purchased is their SE model and is only missing the HUD, cooled seats and four zone climate control that the demo car had. ours has heated steering wheel, hi fi audio system used in range rover, sports seats, contrasted stitching, etc. lots of added options that we are happy we got.

Typically "Out the door" for a car deal, means exactly that. It normally means "this is the price I wrote a check for / got financing for, and includes all rebates, additions, warranties, etc etc etc".

By definition, "OTD" would not be "pre incentives / credits", but include them.

Also, it would be virtually impossible for this OP to have gotten a price that much off MSRP that didnt include manufacturer incentives / trunk money etc, on a new vehicle.

Maybe you mean government rebates, etc?

EDIT.. got further in the thread, and understand the confusion. When I think about " pre incentives / credits" I am thinking about manufacturer rebates / credits, not government ones ones like federal tax credit, or state rebates etc.

So, I am assuming thats what you ment, which is different than what I was thinking about.

Back on thread topic, nice score on the deal, OP! I think the I-Pace is a very good looking vehicle. I happen to really love the look of it. I would totally lease one (but wouldnt buy it), but thats due to a lack of faith in JLR having a vehicle that would run for me without many issues over a 6-8 year vehicle ownership period.

Same reason I always leased my BMWs in fact, before I bought the model 3 since I am not as worried about it running for that long.
it is going to be interesting to see what the reliability looks like with it for sure. I know my wife likes it, but she really couldn't care less what she drives.

It will be unfortunate to see JLR abandon EV's in my opinion just for the sake of the need for automakers who have been around a long time to be able to weather the transition.

I did as much research as I could to make sure that the current i-pace owners weren't dealing with issues that really scared me off. crossing fingers.

Reactions: jjrandorin
it is going to be interesting to see what the reliability looks like with it for sure. I know my wife likes it, but she really couldn't care less what she drives.

It will be unfortunate to see JLR abandon EV's in my opinion just for the sake of the need for automakers who have been around a long time to be able to weather the transition.

I did as much research as I could to make sure that the current i-pace owners weren't dealing with issues that really scared me off. crossing fingers.

My wife still has her X3 M40 for another 1.5 years (3 year lease), and she cant stand the look of the model Y, or the model X (or the BMW X4/X6 or other "lifted car" looking vehicles). I want to get an EV when her lease is up, and the i-pace is one that she and I both agree on the looks of, but we havent driven it.

She drives around town almost exclusively.... her X3, leased Jan 11th of 2019, has like 4,400 miles on it at this very second, almost 1.5 years later. What I really want, though is something that looks like the Rivian SUV, or something like that. I was hoping that all this "competition" that is supposed to "be coming" from the established players would finally be here, and I would be able to get a vehicle with german fit / finish and "decent" range, efficiency.

It hasnt panned out that way, and I dont think all of these vehicles that are "coming in 2021/2022" are going to be as compelling as I hoped.

Anyway, really nice work on that deal! I would have had a hard time passing up on that as well, especially since you can still get 7500 more off as a tax credit, and any other EV incentives you qualify for locally, etc.

Reactions: austinmichaeld
I've never had a British car that had a reliable electrical system. And those dual carbs you had to stop for, pull out the wrench and screwdriver and "sync" on the side of the road, same issue for decades, well, that was delightful. And symptomatic of the same insular mentality that gave them Brexit. So if they've managed to make a usable vehicle, that's great progress. Still, I wouldn't touch a British car for love or money.
I have owned 3, a 1967 XKE, 1976 XJS 12 cylinder and a 1997 XK8. Loved them all and did all my own repairs and maintenance, I would say that once Ford took over in 1989 the quality was better. If there was no Tesla I would be driving an ipace.

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx
I think you did really well. The I-pace and E-tron are currently nailed to the showroom floor, The OEMs can't afford for these models to be seen as failures so there is plenty of trunk money for the dealers who are desperate for anyone besides themselves to own them. I will hazard a guess that it will be reliable and you will end up being happy to own it - you got a ton of car for the money even before the $7,500 gift from Uncle Sugar.

Reactions: austinmichaeld
659FA74B-F03F-406A-8786-4D959D1911CF.jpeg

In case the pics request was for me

So my wife and I recently purchased an i-pace as our second EV of the household. On its own we would have never even looked at it. but with our M3 to use for road trips, and the MASSIVE discount we got off with the current motivation that JLR has placed on moving them from their lots, it was pretty convincing. She loves it and the fit and finish is amazing. its quick. just as quick as my dual motor M3, the range is no issue at all since my wife just commutes with it to work and to run the kids around. the MSRP was $81k, we paid $55k out the door. these deals are all over the country

Congrats! What are the driver assist features like?

I just looked at this car, and unexpectedly, where is the automation? No Navigate on AutoPilot, OK, But no AutoPilot at all? Just cruise control, and it's like an ICE car?

So this is for someone who compares to a stripped "manual" Tesla, I guess. When you can get a Dual Motor Long Range Model 3 with 320 miles range and FSD for that money. Or a AWD Red Model Y with the base Autopilot for that. Or a long range AWD Model 3 for $47k.

To each his own, but Heck, if MY wife needed an "around town EV", we'd get a Standard Range Plus, and she'd have 250 miles range, a snappy ride and Autopilot, for $38k. Happy you like the Jag.

Last edited:
The I-Pace has radar cruise (also called TACC or Dynamic cruise) and Autosteer optional. Different people have different priorities. I am very happy for people that pick the Model Y. I am ecstatic that we have so many EV options. Nitro EV, Chevy Bolt , etc. Saving $15,000+ compared to a Y was high on the list due to the tax credit applied to the lease payments and $9,000 better offer for the trade in Model X.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but can you explain (or at least link to) what maximum "auto-steer" option the i-Pace offers, if someone wanted it?
All I've seen is Cruise Control and basic Lane Keeping on straight roads, a lot of ICE cars do that now.

I mean, my M3 self-drives through this in heavy traffic, granted that's with the NOA option,
but it's a bona fide "auto-steer".

Maze 2020-01-02 at 01.29.07s.jpg

Last edited: