Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled the trigger on Jaguar i-pace as second EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 6.06.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 6.06.33 PM.png
    63 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: austinmichaeld
I think sales of these are picking up with the discounts. Just 2 weeks ago I saw some discounted $30k. $78k MSRP selling for $48k. Add in incentives and the $7500 rebate and it gets to be under $40k for a EV larger then a model 3. Not a bad value for a someone looking for a commuter car with decent driving dynamics, space and comfortable interior. A model Y would be $10-15k more with the current available configs

I drove the I-Pace at a couple of Jaguar events. It's a nimble SUV and I was very surprised how sporty it was, but the car was terrible at going over airport type speed bumps that normal traffic was driving through. I bottomed out.

Also, without AP, I wouldn't want to commute in one. However at $55k minus $7.5k is a great deal. You can probably sell it used in a couple of years for $45k. I think you got a great deal and it's a car I would own if Tesla didn't have Autopilot and their Supercharging networks.

• Informative
As an aside, this forum post on the byzantine process of software updates for the i-pace illustrates the difference between Tesla's approach and the classic dealer-as-the-middle-man headache.

It's baffling to me that the dealer has to enable a SOTA feature on their end in order for the owner's i-pace vehicle to receive software updates. And worse, that half of the dealers seem to have no idea that they're required to do this, even when customers call in and explicitly tell them how to do it. Even crazier, the service advisor has to log in to Topix (a paid-access software) in order to be able to see what each update actually includes, as that information doesn't seem to be shared with the vehicle owner.

The i-Pace looks like a nice vehicle, but reading through those forums made me cringe, and feel even more appreciative of Tesla's way of distributing updates.

If they gave me one for free, I'd take it. And find some use for it. But if my wife or I had to give up even a tiny portion of driving a Tesla, no way.

I know some people drive a Tesla in manual, to them it's just a fast car, and 'lectric, cool. They're half way into the present century, a bit like the folks who miss the Vroom Vroom of a tar-cooker. To each his own. May The Saints and The Lizards bless them, honestly, there's enough room for all of us to enjoy what we like. I'm not disrespecting the OP's choice.

But, for me, I truly cannot fathom paying real money to spend time in a transition piece from the museum of technology. I don't need dual motors, but I really use and NEED every little last bit of the best AI automation on the planet, and I want to be right there to watch it develop. Even though my FSD Model 3 was a bit of a stretch financially. But anything less is not much of a 21st century vehicle. And boring. Even if it's much cheaper and appointed in regal fur. Life's too short.

Last edited:
  • Informative
The infotainment is clunky, it is not even fair to compare it to tesla, not even a 2012 tesla MS UI. it is more traditional legacy auto's attempt to be tech forward but its not terrible if you're not spoiled by the tesla screen. the driving dynamics are very much like the M3. I prefer my M3 hands down. I cant imagine ever paying close to the MSRP for it. the value just isn't there.

Can you maybe post in a couple months when you have had a chance to get to know the car better? I'd be very interested what your opinions are once you are familiar with both cars. My concerns with the Jaguar are reliability (which Jaguar has a bad reputation for, though perhaps Tesla is no better) and long-term support given that they are not selling well (hence the discount I assume).

I just looked at this car, and unexpectedly, where is the automation? No Navigate on AutoPilot, OK, But no AutoPilot at all? Just cruise control, and it's like an ICE car?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but can you explain (or at least link to) what maximum "auto-steer" option the i-Pace offers, if someone wanted it?
All I've seen is Cruise Control and basic Lane Keeping on straight roads, a lot of ICE cars do that now.

It does have the equivalent of autopilot. It has TACC to adjust speed based on what's in front of you, including stopping completely (but no phantom, braking!) and it has a level of lane keeping that keeps you centered in your lane while cruising. It works pretty well but in my experience not as well as AP. It also does not change lanes for you. To change lanes, when you activate the turn signal the lane keeping in that direction deactivates and you manually change lanes. When finished it resumes detecting the lane and and keeping you centered.

It also has another level of lane keeping for when you are not cruising. That level keeps you from drifting out of your lane when it is not steering for you. If you drift it can either alert you or bump you back so you don't drift, and you set the option you want.

You can set it to use one, both, or neither type of lane keeping (auto steering and/or anti-drift alert/correction). I use both.

If they gave me one for free, I'd take it. And find some use for it. But if my wife or I had to give up even a tiny portion of driving a Tesla, no way.

I know some people drive a Tesla in manual, to them it's just a fast car, and 'lectric, cool. They're half way into the present century, a bit like the folks who miss the Vroom Vroom of a tar-cooker. To each his own. May The Saints and The Lizards bless them, honestly, there's enough room for all of us to enjoy what we like. I'm not disrespecting the OP's choice.

But, for me, I truly cannot fathom paying real money to spend time in a transition piece from the museum of technology. I don't need dual motors, but I really use and NEED every little last bit of the best AI automation on the planet, and I want to be right there to watch it develop. Even though my FSD Model 3 was a bit of a stretch financially. But anything less is not much of a 21st century vehicle. And boring. Even if it's much cheaper and appointed in regal fur. Life's too short.

from 2018, not sure how good it is now...

Sorry, but meh. A Jag might be a lovely car, but the fanciest AP option that they offer doesn't seem to even rival the base AP you get included in a $37.9k Standard Range Plus Model 3. It's kind of like the lane keeping you get on a Chevy Bolt and many other cars today. I think lane keeping is been there done that. By now it's a hand-me-down for technophobes, it isn't where the action is.

• Informative
There is no such thing as AP or full self driving until Tesla takes responsibility for its errors. Until then, you're paying for a beta that makes some parts of driving more convenient, but maybe it'll kill you, and it'll definitely record if you were inattentive before an accident.

The same day I picked up my I-Pace, I saw guy in his new Model Y on his phone for the better part of a mile, maybe longer, with the car floating close to the line in his lane.

I'll totally admit the I-Pace is overpriced at MSRP, but you can negotiate with dealers to get a good $30k off, they'll offer you better lease/finance terms, while offering you a better value on your trade in. They also won't give your vehicle away if you're not available on one of the two days they pick to deliver your car, forcing you to wait another 2 to 3 months for another delivery to arrive. You may not think much of car sales people, but Tesla is the embodiment of what a car salesman will do when they're in a dominant market position.

I strongly considered the model y, but I unfortunately live in a townhome with a smaller-sized garage that you need to maneuver around a tight corner in order to park. My 3 Series, my F-Pace and my I-Pace can just barely handle it, radius of the Model Y would make it impossible to access my garage, so smart summon would end up being a useless feature.

So far we have used the I-pace to shuttle the kids and their friends around and the back seat space is more than adequate, even I fit comfortably back there and im 6'2" 255lbs. we are still under 300 miles on it. We seem to get more looks and comments than we got when we first got the M3 and it was an "early M3" especially in texas. I prefer the driving dynamics and UI of my Tesla hands down, and the wife is happy, so you know how that goes. I really appreciate the civil responses.

Reactions: 30seconds
So far we have used the I-pace to shuttle the kids and their friends around and the back seat space is more than adequate, even I fit comfortably back there and im 6'2" 255lbs. we are still under 300 miles on it. We seem to get more looks and comments than we got when we first got the M3 and it was an "early M3" especially in texas. I prefer the driving dynamics and UI of my Tesla hands down, and the wife is happy, so you know how that goes. I really appreciate the civil responses.
Glad you are enjoying the Jaguar I’m a big fan having had 3 since 1970, and loved them all.

UPDATE: the wife is still happy with her i-pace and me... the UI is sooo bad after being in my model 3. I mean bad. its painfully slow. Its a beautiful car. we get so many looks everywhere we go. thumbs up form all sorts of people. I am just so spoiled with the Tesla UI.

Currently, you can get an I-pace under 50K (after $7500 tax incentive) that has many features that are not available for MY such as:
Air Suspension; HUD; Cooled and Heated seats. 18 Way Adjustable Leather Seats; Four-zone Climate Control; Ambient Interior Lighting, Apple Car Play and Android Auto Integrated; 5 Year/60k Warranty and Free Maintenance; $7500 tax incentive