Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled The Trigger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It being Elon Musks Birthday yesterday seemed like as good a time as any to pull the tigger on a new Model S 60. That and today is apparently the last day to use a referral code.
RWD
Midnight Silver Metallic
Black leather / black headliner
Figured ash
Auto pilot
Premium sound system
Pano roof.

Still trying to make a decision on the upgrade to the sound system and if it is worth it. If anyone has any thoughts on that it would be appreciated. I did get to listen to both and will take an S over night to help with that decision I think.

Anyway finally I have the tesla cap!!!

Xwing did you consider that now Tesla is saying "Late October Delivery" whether it is worth waiting for a January delivery so that the car is a 2017 model? Or does it not work like that? Regarding the sound system there is a Model S demo in Doncaster Shopping Centre and the Tesla guy said the car had the premium sound system - it sounded excellent but not unlike a good system in any other car. Would be interesting if anyone knew the specs of the standard stereo system. Cheers

[QUOTE="joninmelbourne, Regarding the sound system there is a Model S demo in Doncaster Shopping Centre and the Tesla guy said the car had the premium sound system - it sounded excellent but not unlike a good system in any other car. Would be interesting if anyone knew the specs of the standard stereo system. Cheers[/QUOTE]

I have the standard system and I'm pretty satisfied by the sound. I can hear bass. But bear in mind I am not an audiophile.

I have standard sound and there is a noticeable difference on sound tracks that have an emphasis on bass. On other tracks there is not a huge difference. Having said that, if you enjoy better sound and listen a lot then get the premium, There are better after market systems around but if you don't want to fit after-market systems then that is the best option. Also there is a US aftermarket upgrade to improve Tesla's premium with minimum fuss but it can only be fitted to the premium and not the standard.

Reactions: Xwing
Standard sound system for me, perfectly okay for my liking....I play nearly everything from Spotify and do play a lot of 'bass - techno' type of music and really find it completely acceptable. The only annoyance is not the lack of bass (just push up bass and treble on the equaliser) it is the front door speakers tend to rattle...the doors/speakers rattle on the premium system also (same track etc.).

I'd get the AutoPilot after buying, and save the luxury car tax...in fact it is what I did.

Only regret, I didn't pay the extra for the carbon trim...essentially the glossy trims attract and show the dust massively...I now have it wrapped in carbon vinyl but wish I had the real deal.

-ECIT

Welcome Xwing, you’ll find this is a very helpful and generous group of owners. I haven’t been able to compare the standard system with the upgraded sound system. However, I love music and can say that the upgraded sound system sounds absolutely fantastic - as good as wearing high quality headphones. Not much help for your comparison I know. Regardless good luck with the decision, no matter what it is it will be Tesla, so it won’t be a bad choice.

Reactions: Xwing
Nice choice! My advice on the sound system: the Premium is GIGO - garbage in garbage out - meaning if you’re sourcing music from iTunes, you’ll get almost no benefit from spending thousands extra. Spotify may sound a bit better but it’s marginal. You’ll start to hear a difference from CD’s ripped to FLAC on a USB stick. You’ll experience an incredible difference when your music source is High Resolution whether from HD Tracks or another high sample rate FLAC transferred to USB.

Thanks very much everyone for all the replies, no doubt it's a fantastic community here and everyone has always seemed very generous with their experience and knowledge.

I did notice the bass difference in the premium and I wouldn't expect there to be a significant overall difference if everything is run out of Spotify. I'm going to put together some tracks in FLAC and have a listen just to see where it goes.

I've always thought that you needed to wait 6 months for any software enabled updates like auto pilot to avoid the LCT hit. But if anyone has any experience otherwise I'm all ears! I figure that after 6 months I'll know if I want the extra range of the 75 and can imagine updating that then.

I went for the figured Ash because it's a matt finish and has a nice timber look and feels, no finger prints either. I had thought about the grey seats but noticed on the demo cars how much colour they had picked up so it was back to black on black.

I'd be keen to hear anyone's experience with the TST 20" sportsline rims in Oz too.

Thanks very much everyone for all the replies, no doubt it's a fantastic community here and everyone has always seemed very generous with their experience and knowledge.

I did notice the bass difference in the premium and I wouldn't expect there to be a significant overall difference if everything is run out of Spotify. I'm going to put together some tracks in FLAC and have a listen just to see where it goes.

I've always thought that you needed to wait 6 months for any software enabled updates like auto pilot to avoid the LCT hit. But if anyone has any experience otherwise I'm all ears! I figure that after 6 months I'll know if I want the extra range of the 75 and can imagine updating that then.

I went for the figured Ash because it's a matt finish and has a nice timber look and feels, no finger prints either. I had thought about the grey seats but noticed on the demo cars how much colour they had picked up so it was back to black on black.

I'd be keen to hear anyone's experience with the TST 20" sportsline rims in Oz too.

Six months is correct, otherwise they find themselves in a pickle with the LCT adding production features to a new car, the arbitrary to consider it not new is 6 months in the eyes of the ATO. Aftermarket additions are different. I have dropped the 21" cyclones and Ludicrous from mine to avoid 8k of LCT/stamps etc but I am keeping autopilot as I am keen to do plenty of roadtrips and want it available from the get go. Bradjc is getting the wheels you're talking about if you want to private msg him. I am going for the 21" Unplugged Performance BBS wheels.

Six months is correct, otherwise they find themselves in a pickle with the LCT adding production features to a new car, the arbitrary to consider it not new is 6 months in the eyes of the ATO. Aftermarket additions are different. I have dropped the 21" cyclones and Ludicrous from mine to avoid 8k of LCT/stamps etc but I am keeping autopilot as I am keen to do plenty of roadtrips and want it available from the get go. Bradjc is getting the wheels you're talking about if you want to private msg him. I am going for the 21" Unplugged Performance BBS wheels.
Thanks for the heads up NovoCasGreeny

Thought I'd update this as I did get a chance to listen to the standard and premium sound systems with a usb and flac files. I went with the premium system in the end, it was noticeably better not just in the bass but overall a much fuller and emotional sound and once I'd heard them both I couldn't go back. Perhaps adding a sub to the standard system would be enough but it's done now and I guess I'll need to be setting up a usb drive full of flac tracks to justify the cost!

Car is confirmed with a delivery around late October. I don't know how I'm going to last the wait. I'm obsessed.