Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulling Permits for 240 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do whatever you feel comfortable with based on your risk level. The situation is different in many different locales.

In some locales, it's even more than a citable offense: it's a misdemeanor and is subject to jail time, one count for each day it's installed and unpermitted. If convicted, it may have implications for you in employment, credit, etc.

In some locales, when you sell your home a seller may have claims against you for unpermitted work that gets discovered, and can force you legally to rip it out, pull a permit, and reinstall it.

In some locales, if it is discovered, the compliance officer can demand it be completely ripped out and reinstalled.

As noted in my FAQ, there is indeed some insurance language that would permit an insurance company to deny paying a claim if discovered. While it has been pointed out that it may be unenforceable in some areas, remember that while you're going to fight them the insurance company can tie you up in lengthy proceedings for a very long time, without paying.

In some locations, electrical permits and/or inspections aren't required.

My personal opinion is that it is relatively simple to obtain permits and it provides a level of protection for you.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Mickie and msnow
Do whatever you feel comfortable with based on your risk level. The situation is different in many different locales.

In some locales, it's even more than a citable offense: it's a misdemeanor and is subject to jail time, one count for each day it's installed and unpermitted. If convicted, it may have implications for you in employment, credit, etc.

In some locales, when you sell your home a seller may have claims against you for unpermitted work that gets discovered, and can force you legally to rip it out, pull a permit, and reinstall it.

In some locales, if it is discovered, the compliance officer can demand it be completely ripped out and reinstalled.

As noted in my FAQ, there is indeed some insurance language that would permit an insurance company to deny paying a claim if discovered. While it has been pointed out that it may be unenforceable in some areas, remember that while you're going to fight them the insurance company can tie you up in lengthy proceedings for a very long time, without paying.

In some locations, electrical permits and/or inspections aren't required.

My personal opinion is that it is relatively simple to obtain permits and it provides a level of protection for you.
Definitely sounds like the extreme end of things; however I get your drift and am going forward with the permit like a good kid :]

Thanks for chiming in. You seem to be the authority on this matter.

Definitely sounds like the extreme end of things; however I get your drift and am going forward with the permit like a good kid :]

Thanks for chiming in. You seem to be the authority on this matter.

I did point out the extremes. 9 times out of 10, it probably won't be an issue, especially if done correctly. That said, the laws tend to acknowledge this and as such the penalties if you get caught are pretty serious. It's pretty common to see $10,000 for each count, where each day represents a separate count. It's rarely ever enforced unless something goes wrong -- but if it goes wrong, it'll go wrong very, very intensely.

My county, for the record, requires only building permits when you build a new structure (mainly to inform the assessors to raise your taxes). No permits are required for plumbing, electrical, etc. work on existing structures.