Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulling the trigger; 2 UK Questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Just had a message from a friend saying MX price had dropped in the UK, putting all the new inventory stock 90D’s to bed for me... now I’m back to square one and looking at getting the 75D straight from Tesla (the reason why is simply because it’s more affordable, and I’d prefer to have the latest from Tesla).

I do have two questions, primarily for UK owners, but anyone from across the pond please do chime in!

1. With the 259 mile range (actual 225 in my area based on other owners experience) do you find it restarting at all especially when you drive long distances? (I drive to Scotland once a month and Manchester 3 times a month so 510 and 170 miles respectively) I must note that all of my routes have ample superchargers. Every 40 miles or so.

2. Have you found EVtripplanner to be an accurate calculator, providing I put the correct details in?

Thanks guys,
I’m so excited.

Hey all,

1. With the 259 mile range (actual 225 in my area based on other owners experience) do you find it restarting at all especially when you drive long distances? (I drive to Scotland once a month and Manchester 3 times a month so 510 and 170 miles respectively) I must note that all of my routes have ample superchargers. Every 40 miles or so.

2. Have you found EVtripplanner to be an accurate calculator, providing I put the correct details in?

Thanks guys,
I’m so excited.

Congrats, @ThomRhodes! Welcome to the club! The Scotland trip will definitely entail supercharger use - in fact, even starting out full, you'll need to plan to stop twice to comfortably make it. Alternatively, you can stop three times - for quicker charges. Assume that a 259 mile range is going to be more like 190 in winter. You likely don't get as cold in Oxfordshire as we do in areas of the US, but cold can sap about 1/3 of your range. Manchester should not be any problem.

EVTripplanner is pretty accurate - but so is the Tesla onboard NAV system. I would definitely use the Tesla system while driving. EVTripplanner won't necessarily take into account headwinds or elevation change so much as distance (and sometimes speed as well, if you are moving faster than the speed limit), so you are going to want to take a more conservative approach than what they say, but again, if you have ample superchargers, there should be no problems.

Cheers,

John

• Love
Reactions: ThomRhodes
Congrats, @ThomRhodes! Welcome to the club! The Scotland trip will definitely entail supercharger use - in fact, even starting out full, you'll need to plan to stop twice to comfortably make it. Alternatively, you can stop three times - for quicker charges. Assume that a 259 mile range is going to be more like 190 in winter. You likely don't get as cold in Oxfordshire as we do in areas of the US, but cold can sap about 1/3 of your range. Manchester should not be any problem.

EVTripplanner is pretty accurate - but so is the Tesla onboard NAV system. I would definitely use the Tesla system while driving. EVTripplanner won't necessarily take into account headwinds or elevation change so much as distance (and sometimes speed as well, if you are moving faster than the speed limit), so you are going to want to take a more conservative approach than what they say, but again, if you have ample superchargers, there should be no problems.

Cheers,

John

Hi John!

Thank you! I’m dead chuffed that the MX price drop has happened. Yeah I totally knew supercharging would have to be on the books. I would prefer three short duration charges rather than sit-and-wait charging as I love driving! I feel as if I’ll love driving even more with the MX!

Thanks for the tidbit about the weather, fortunately the coldest it’s been last year was 1°c so not as cold as across the pond!

I’ll stick to the onboard nav then haha. Thank you so much! Out of curiosity, do you know the link to the UK Tesla shop?

Thanks again mate,
Thom.

Looks like you don't have a Tesla store in Oxfordshire, but there is one in by Heathrow and in Milton. Not sure which one would be more convenient for you (and of course, you can go directly to www.tesla.com and put in your info and it should route you to the "closest" store:

• Park House

Horton Road

West Drayton

UB7 8JD London

United Kingdom

Driving Directions
    • Sales & Service01895 714 009
    • Roadside Assistance0800 756 9960
    • 0162 845 0660
    • Sales Hours
      Monday - Friday 08:30 - 18:00
      Saturday 09.00 - 17.00
      Sunday Closed

• 38 Intu Midsummer Place Shopping Centre

MK9 3BB Milton Keynes

United Kingdom

Driving Directions
    • Sales+44 (0)1908 044 210
    • Roadside Assistance0800 756 9960
    • 0162 845 0660

Reactions: ThomRhodes
Out of curiosity, do you know the link to the UK Tesla shop?
Sounds like you might mean the online store, UK localization? That would be tesla.com; look for the little flag at the very bottom of the page. If it's anything other than the Union Jack, click on it and change it.

Just had a message from a friend saying MX price had dropped in the UK, putting all the new inventory stock 90D’s to bed for me...
What do you mean by that? If the price on new cars has dropped, the price for inventory cars should have dropped as well. Have a look at teslainventory.com. Same thing here; only the flag is at the top right this time [you also might have to change it twice – on my computer, the first time doesn't stick]. There's still a bunch of X90D's on there, starting at £90k.

EDIT: How about this one? It even still has Free Unlimited Supercharging tied to the car.
It also has AP2 hardware; but at that price comes without the software. That would be another £4,700. BUT you can have the 22" wheels switched for the standard 20" ones before delivery, and save £5,200 that way. Voila – enhanced autopilot activated, another £500 saved (btw, the referral discount also works on inventory cars), and, unlike the 22" ones, the 20" wheels don't scratch at the mere sight of a curb.

Last edited: