Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulling the trigger! (Amazing community!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow! I really cannot say enough about the community on this site.. SO patient, so responsive. I truly appreciate the input each and every one of you gave me on my last couple posts.

To recap, had been considering a CPO or used 75D X for a little while now. Asked a lot of questions, got a lot of responses, all taken deeply into consideration. (Really considered a P model, but just cannot see spending that for the purpose of this vehicle at this time.)

With that, have tracked down a model I am working to close on now.

11/17 build date.
7k miles
Premium Upgrades Package (Have heard amazing things about the Ultra High Fidelity.)
(5 passenger setup.) Was really seeking the six seat, but meh. (Love the buckets in the 2nd row.)

So the next question. Have an electrician coming out tomorrow to quote me on install.. For the record, have a detached garage in a '40's style bungalo downtown Orlando. Hoping no real issues in an install, but I know anything is possible.

So I know I am asking about a NEMA 14-50 outlet correct? Any other thoughts, recommendations while I have the electrician here?

Last edited:
Recently bought and took delivery of a 2018 X 75D. I put in a HPWC. I know it’s a bit pricey but I like the fact that the car and charger coordinate the charging and it has its own cable so I can just leave the mobile one in the car.

Just to clarify on the air conditioning; the 5 seater has air for the second row but it is all based by the front, there are not separate controls (temp, fan speed) for the second row. The only control the second row passengers have is for the vents.

I have the 5 seat and love it--Folds flat with tons of storage. There is no 3rd row so AC there is moot. There are ac vents for second row and no complaints from passengers. You will love it. 11/17 build means you have AP 2.5--basically everything the present models have. I would be on it like a dog on a bone. Good price? Some inventory models are heavily discounted. And you get $7500 tax credit.

Yes its a 14-50, altho my electrian who was very nice installed a "dryer outlet" 14-50 and had to return to switch the plug for an "RV" 14-50. I paid a total of 400$ but i had him touch up some other things around the house as well. And as mentioned, it is quite handy to be able to keep the mobile charger in the car, and a wall charger at home (500-550$) however if you travel near supercharger network you dont need to. Personally i have never needed mine, but im also waiting on a free wall charger from refferral, so i havent needed to buy the wall charger or i would have for convienance.

Welcome to the Tesla family!

You'd be better off buying a NEMA 14-50 outlet and 50A breaker yourself and asking the electrician to install it. Telling them to do it from scratch, if you tell them its for a tesla they'll subconsciously quote you more, and they might install it on a 40A breaker only (which is still to code) or worse just install a 14-30 dryer outlet instead.

Reactions: P85_DA
Side note.. Reading the 5 seat does not have rear air? Can this be confirmed?

Do a thread search and you will find complaints of poor second row HVAC with the 5 seat option. There's a guy right now on the UK forum having issues. The 6 and 7 seaters have a dedicated rear HVAC setup with better flow rates through the vents and separate rear temperature and fan settings. I'm not sure if the 5-seater has that ability, but it definitely has less rear HVAC hardware. It was the main reason we chose the 7-seater in the end.

So I know I am asking about a NEMA 14-50 outlet correct? Any other thoughts, recommendations while I have the electrician here?

If u are going to run cable that far u may as well run THWN as that’s rated for in conduit wet conditions ..I would wire it for a sub panel or HPWC provided ur main panel can handle ..if they quote u on running Romex type wire to a detached garage in most cities it’s not code

As @Peteski says,

In the 5 seat config, the second row passengers get air only from the vents between the front bucket seats. The vents on the B-pillar exist only for decorative purposes.

In the 6 and 7 seat config, vents on the B and C pillar get airflow. It is a big big thing to keep in mind and gets lost in all the text Tesla have on their site.

Reactions: Peteski
Do a thread search and you will find complaints of poor second row HVAC with the 5 seat option. There's a guy right now on the UK forum having issues. The 6 and 7 seaters have a dedicated rear HVAC setup with better flow rates through the vents and separate rear temperature and fan settings. I'm not sure if the 5-seater has that ability, but it definitely has less rear HVAC hardware. It was the main reason we chose the 7-seater in the end.
I have a 5 seater and a 6 seater. I have fan settings for the rear seats in the 6 seater. There is no rear fan settings for the second row of the 5 seater. We have to turn the front fan up higher to get adequate air flow to the second row in the 5 seater. The 5 seater has vents, but I just do not feel you get enough air.

Reactions: Peteski
Here is a couple tips on the electrical hook up. Ensure the electrician installs a 50amp breaker using a minimum of 6 gauge wiring. Depending on your mobile charger, you will either pull 40 or 32 amps, Gen1 or Gen2 respectively. Don't be afraid to question him on that. If you go with a Wall Connector, consider a 100amp breaker with the appropriate gauge wiring, I believe 2 gauge. The Wall Connector can support max amps that will require 100amp breaker. If you go lower than the max amperage with the Wall Connector ensure you set it properly as to not draw more than the rated breaker and wiring. The electrician may not know how to set the Wall Connector up correctly. You may need to help him utilizing the instructions that come with it.

I was only able to add a 30amp circuit at my house (100 amp sub-panel shared with heat pump!). That permits 24 amp continuous charging. I had to get a matching plug for the universal charger to match the 30amp circuit. Tesla says you get 14 miles range per hour at 30 amps. I find that to be more than adequate.

50 amps would be nice, but it doesn't seem like a necessity. By all means if your old house wiring will support it, have the electrician install it. But if your panels are already loaded up, don't be afraid to back down to a lower amperage. Your car comes with the biggest (14-50) and smallest adapter (120V), but here are the others:

Model S/X/3 Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

If you show this to your electrician, he will know what receptacle to install for the available current and how to ground it.