Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulling trigger soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I have been following this forum for a few years now and I can't thank everyone enough for their contributions. A little about me, I currently drive a 2014 BMW M5 and will soon be transferring lease to another party and (hopefully) getting a TESLA! My current commute is 70 miles per day and I think carpool sticker and no gas (along with autopilot) would be extremely cool. One complexity is that I live in a condo. I finally got our HOA board to approve NEMA 14-50 instillation in my parking spot and I have a electrician over my place working on an estimate as I type. I have a few issues I can really use your help with.

1. 70D vs 85D vs p85D. I know, I know- personal preference, whatever $$$ you want to spend. Hopefully, I will be keeping this car for a while and I want to make the best decision for me. I like fast cars (hence M5). Has anyone regretted not getting 85D after getting 70D? Ideally, I would get the fastest model, but I don't think I can stomach extra $$$$ for a few seconds off 0-60. Plus I HATE 21 inch wheels and will definitely be getting 19s.

2. I think ~200 mile range between charges is fine for my needs. Do I need to get dual chargers? The guy at TESLA store recommends against it. Is getting them somewhat future proofs the car?

3. Residual Value Guarantee. Is there such a thing any more? Or has this gone away since lease was introduced? If its still around, is it worth getting for extra APR? (I can get a loan through Pen Fed at .99% APR).

4. I will try to get an inventory car. Are discounts fixed on those or can one negotiate the price?

5. I like to listen to musk is the car. Is upgraded audio worth it? Does anyone know who makes both version of the audio?

Any other tips?

Thank you guys in advance!

1. There's a lot of threads about the 70D vs. 85D. Here's my reply in one of them:
Nope, love my 70D. Had it a little over a week, over 500 miles driven already :biggrin:.

Lots of threads on this topic, lots of arguing back and forth... for $10k you get an extra 30 miles, faster 0-60, slightly faster supercharging times, and slightly better highway MPGe. Is it worth $10k? That's your call.

Also, 21" wheels aren't mandatory for the P85D (last I checked).

2. You can always get dual chargers later. Dual chargers will not increase the range or give you anything at superchargers. Depending on where you are located, you may or may not have >10kW public charging available. Where I am? I do not. Most of it as at 6.6kw. Charging overnight? A Nema 14-50 would be more than enough.

4. From everything I heard, price is fixed, Tesla does not negotiate.

5. You need to listen to each. IMO, they both are lacking.

Hello everyone,

I have been following this forum for a few years now and I can't thank everyone enough for their contributions. A little about me, I currently drive a 2014 BMW M5 and will soon be transferring lease to another party and (hopefully) getting a TESLA! My current commute is 70 miles per day and I think carpool sticker and no gas (along with autopilot) would be extremely cool. One complexity is that I live in a condo. I finally got our HOA board to approve NEMA 14-50 instillation in my parking spot and I have a electrician over my place working on an estimate as I type. I have a few issues I can really use your help with.

1. 70D vs 85D vs p85D. I know, I know- personal preference, whatever $$$ you want to spend. Hopefully, I will be keeping this car for a while and I want to make the best decision for me. I like fast cars (hence M5). Has anyone regretted not getting 85D after getting 70D? Ideally, I would get the fastest model, but I don't think I can stomach extra $$$$ for a few seconds off 0-60. Plus I HATE 21 inch wheels and will definitely be getting 19s.

2. I think ~200 mile range between charges is fine for my needs. Do I need to get dual chargers? The guy at TESLA store recommends against it. Is getting them somewhat future proofs the car?

3. Residual Value Guarantee. Is there such a thing any more? Or has this gone away since lease was introduced? If its still around, is it worth getting for extra APR? (I can get a loan through Pen Fed at .99% APR).

4. I will try to get an inventory car. Are discounts fixed on those or can one negotiate the price?

5. I like to listen to musk is the car. Is upgraded audio worth it? Does anyone know who makes both version of the audio?

Any other tips?

Thank you guys in advance!

#1 - planner now tops out at 70 MPH???
Good for u re: 21" wheels.
#2 - Dual chargers are not for range, they are for speed at which you can charge.

Dual charger advantages
- You can charge at 58mi/hr, 3-4 hours to a full charge at home.
- Some (very few) public charging stations support 80Amp, over there you will charge quicker.
Dual charger disadvantages
- $2K extra on the car
- Usually $2k or more extra to spend on your home charger installation.

#3 - Not sure
#4 - Fixed
#5 - Audio in Tesla is fairly disappointing. Base audio is terrible. Upgraded audio is meh! I suggest listening to both before spending $2.5K.

Keep in mind the high def audio is in the...em...Ear of the beholder?

I LOVE mine and glad I did it.

I absolutely love my 85D and don't reget not getting the P85D. To each his own. The 70D will still be incredible.

I am sure I am no help
1. I bought the P85D - I tried to rationalize the 85D and even the 70D at first but I lost the argument with myself. Yes, I know the 21" handle worse, wear worse, make more noise but they look good and the P85D rides better than my other cars.
2. Dual charger is great
3. Don't know
4. Fixed
5. It is OK to me. Maybe years of wearing a helmet and ear plugs cancels my input.

You guys are no help lol!

Jokes aside, thank you for your input. So far, I am leaning 85D vs P85D, pano, regular suspension, upgraded audio, premium to get the power lift gate. Hope can rationalize to myself to get 85D, otherwise its poor house for me!

I got my 85D last week and it's plenty quick.

Twin Chargers won't make any difference if you're charging from a NEMA 14-50 outlet. As kuttakamina pointed out there are few charging stations that will offer more than 40A of juice.

I'm satisfied with the standard audio so far. The upgrade just gets you a subwoofer and satellite radio. There are aftermarket sub options.

If you're looking at CPO cars you probably want to look for "Technology Package" instead of "Premium Interior and Lighting" to get the power liftgate. When the 70D was introduced, some options were shuffled around. Much of what used to be Tech is now standard, and the rest (including power liftgate) is in Premium I&L. But if you've been reading the forums for years then you know that already.

I received my Tesla a week and a half ago. So far, it is easily the best purchase I have ever made, couldn't love it any more. Almost surprised how into it I am as wasn't really a car guy. Struggled with some of your same questions myself and went with 85D - it is really fast, better range and another second off 0-60 isn't important to me for the $, definitely get premium sound system, inventory is pretty loaded so you should be able to find something very close to what you like. Dual charger is unnecessary if you are charging overnight and using Superchargers for road trips. Hope that is helpful!

You guys are no help lol!

Jokes aside, thank you for your input. So far, I am leaning 85D vs P85D, pano, regular suspension, upgraded audio, premium to get the power lift gate. Hope can rationalize to myself to get 85D, otherwise its poor house for me!

I went with regular suspension too - wise choice I think.
What about that autopilot thingie? Are you not gonna get that?
Also the insides - get next gen seats if you're not fat .. or rather sit in both and compare .. I thought next gens were definitely better.

The deciding factor for me regarding 70D, 85D, or P85D was range.
I had a whole lot of noise in my head about the three different models. Faster, cheaper, bla bla bla.

Came down to max range. Not that I need it (today), but can you ever have too much range?
So, 85D for me.

In fact, as I was typing this email my DS called. My car left the factory and I will be picking it up Friday at noon!!!!!

Good luck with your decision.

otherwise its poor house for me!

well then, off you go.......:biggrin:

M5 owners have to get a P85D. It's the law! :scared:

Bag air suspension (wish it wasn't required in Jan '13 delivery)
Bag the low-performance, heavy, alignment sensitive, damage prone, rapper style, costly 21's
Twins are rarely used, but oh so nice when they are needed and available
Basic sound = am radio, upgraded sound = fm radio

i would shy away from MC red since matching it is very difficult and with sun fade its downright impossible if you have an "opps"

Sorry, dunno, the CFO handles that "stuff". I am tasked with "no micro scratches" and "find a way to make those pretty 21 turbines last".

Lol, ok :). Is CFO the wife?

Srsly though, I remember a few years ago there was a lot of discussion re making sure to obtain RVG. With so many new models/upgrades coming out in the next few years, wouldn't this still be a good idea?

I am probably not asking my question correctly. I can pay cash for the car. I can get Pen Fed to finance at .99% APR. What I am wondering is is it worth while going through WF or US Bank (I am in CA) to get RVG in case value of the car tanks in 3 years.

Lol, ok :). Is CFO the wife?

But of course (a.k.a. "The Empress").

I do remember talk of getting .99% financing by PenFed back in Jan '13. This "RVG" term you speak

of :confused: is WAAY above my pay grade. I am just a low-tech hired house cleaner/landscaper/equity

investor/auto hack/cook/general handyman :wink:.

btw, if you believe Ron Baron's take on TSLA, why not finance at .99%, purchase TSLA forgoing the opportunity cost?

Last edited: