Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulls left when engaging autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 30% of the time when I engage autopilot the car immediately pulls to the left. Usually it stays in the lane but it is enough to scare me and any drivers next to me. Sometimes it actually pulls so hard that if my hand is on the wheel it will disengage autopilot from the torque. Does anyone else experience this? I have the latest software. I have FSD and EAP but am not using navigate on autopilot when this happens.

AP has a different opinion than me about where the lane center is. Frankly, it's probably correct. However, I'm careful to not engage when someone's off my left side to prevent startling them with the sudden motion leftward. I got honked at once.

Reactions: KerryOH
My car is doing the same thing now. I just had my front windshield replaced and immediately afterwards it started pulling to the left when on autopilot. My invoice states recalibration. Could this have something to do with it?

My car is doing the same thing now. I just had my front windshield replaced and immediately afterwards it started pulling to the left when on autopilot. My invoice states recalibration. Could this have something to do with it?
Hey daver6640,

I’ve got the same issue with my V60 Volvo. My front windshield got replaced and now the car pulls too left. Do you think it can be recalibrated somehow?

My FSD lane bias seems to depend on the width of the road. It's more centered on more narrow or normal width roads. On wider lanes it's biased to the right. Regardless of road width, FSD lane positioning is steadfast aside from an overzealous lane adjustment when FSD is initially turned on.

And it's easy to tell FSD is driving off-center by viewing the road lines in the side mirrors or seeing the location of the oil patch at the roadway center's or how uncomfortably close the adjacent lane vehicle is.

Last edited:
Hi all mine did this after I hit a bump of asphalt and miss aligned the right rear control arms (and a bent wheel).. even after the service center fixed the bent control arms the car pulled very close to the line tot he point of making FSD un usable.. what did the trick and fixed it fine was I( went into the " safety" menu and in there is a "Recalibrate cameras" it will reset the cameras and autopilot ( and FSD alignment) after you drive around 20 miles or so . taking soem on adn off ramps adn changing lanes gives it an updated look . the second the calibration was complete the car centered adn did not pull . hop e this helps

Reactions: israndy
Perfectly normal, this is a human problem not a car problem. As humans we tend to drive on the right side of the lane because, visually, we think this is the center of the lane. Ever notice when on AP and you pass a car on your right that is looks too close? It isn’t, this is same problem, the car is where it should be but our perception is what is off.

The best way to address this is to first admit you have a problem! 😉 Before you engage AP just move a little to the left in the lane. The more you do it the better you will become at learning where the center really is.

Last edited:
Perfectly normal, this is a human problem not a car problem. As humans we tend to drive on the right side of the lane because, visually, we think this is the center of the lane. Ever notice when on AP and you pass a car on your right that is looks too close? It isn’t, this is same problem, the car is where it should be but our perception is what is off.

The best way to address this is to first admit you have a problem! 😉 Before you engage AP just move a little to the left in the lane. The more you do it the better you will become at learning where the center really is.
There's more to it than that. As I mentioned, there's several ways to demonstrate it's not driving in the center. Also, sometimes it positions correctly in the center of the road. It's a software issue.

Also, the car needs to be taught that driving in the center of the lane is often not ideal.

There's more to it than that. As I mentioned, there's several ways to demonstrate it's not driving in the center. Also, sometimes it positions correctly in the center of the road. It's a software issue.

You can try this:

Controls > Service > Camera Calibration > Clear Calibration.

When the calibration is cleared, Model Y repeats the calibration process.

Where do you think it should drive?
I think the OP is wrong, looking in the mirrors it is likely HIS perception that is off, just look at the car image in the display, it shows the car centered in the lane, if it is not centered in the actual lane then recalibrate. He has the same software I have so it's not a software issue

As to where to drive the one comment I have is PLEASE avoid motorcycles that are lane splitting. They have a right to the road too, I don't need to be in the center of the fast lane, I can hug the shoulder while s/he passes but FSD doesn't do that despite displaying the motorcycle on screen