Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulsating at low speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up a Long Range Plus a few weeks ago. This is in addition to my Model 3 Performance that I've been very happy with. Unfortunately, we're off to a rough start with some quality issues on the X. It has a born on date of 2/20/20, so it's pretty new off the assembly line. I've already had it in for service twice, with some unresolved concerns.

When decelerating at a very low speed, (from 3 to 0 mph) the vehicle shakes a little. On my initial service visit, they thought the rear drive unit was bad and were supposed to order a replacement. However, when I brought back in for the second visit to replace the rear drive unit, they said this is a 'known issue' and that a future firmware update will correct it. They also mentioned the that rear drive units on the X have been 'revised' very recently and are now supposed to be stronger. I just looked in the parts catalog, but didn't see any new revisions for the rear drive unit.

Does anyone else with a recently delivered Long Range Plus experience this pulsating shake at low speeds when you're coming to a stop using regen? None of the demo units that we test drove had this behavior, though maybe they had one of the older drive units?

Other issues I'm working through:
  • The drivers front door never auto opened from day one. They replaced the antenna and Body Control module and now it seems to be working fine.
  • The front camera is very blurry on the bottom half of the sentry videos. They claim this is 'normal' for the X, because the location of the camera picks up the bottom of the camera housing. I don't have another X to compare against, but the image from the front camera on my Model 3 is crystal clear.
  • They have to replace my center console due to a small chunk of flock (black fabric) missing. Looks like it was damaged during installation at the factory.

• Informative
Reactions: Hebert
I have the same issue, i get this wierd clunk thats shakes the rear end on slow speeds when decelerating at low speeds or tapping the accelerator. Feels like a loose motor mount. They replaced my drive unit, axels, and tires and kept the car for 3 weeks while testing and working with fremont engineers. In the end it was the same and said to wait for future fix as it now a known issue. The temporary resolution is to not use the hold function and use roll or creep to lessen the clunk. They also mentioned the rear motor of the raven was an updated design to my surprise, since all i read about was the update to the front motor.

The clunk happend so often that i never used hold mode again which sucks bc one pedal driving was great and we never had an issue like this on our previous non raven P100D X and Model 3 long range.

Yesterday I updated the X after getting it back from service to 2020.8.2 with the stronger regen and tried turning hold mode back on, and it was a lot less clunk frequency than before. So i think the issue is regen braking blending into the caliper braking and maybe software can fix it or maybe an issue with the caliper and a loose brake pad? Not sure but it feels like it’s something within those 2 braking system.

• Helpful
Reactions: Coldones
I have the same issue, i get this wierd clunk thats shakes the rear end on slow speeds when decelerating at low speeds or tapping the accelerator. Feels like a loose motor mount. They replaced my drive unit, axels, and tires and kept the car for 3 weeks while testing and working with fremont engineers. In the end it was the same and said to wait for future fix as it now a known issue. The temporary resolution is to not use the hold function and use roll or creep to lessen the clunk. They also mentioned the rear motor of the raven was an updated design to my surprise, since all i read about was the update to the front motor.

The clunk happend so often that i never used hold mode again which sucks bc one pedal driving was great and we never had an issue like this on our previous non raven P100D X and Model 3 long range.

Yesterday I updated the X after getting it back from service to 2020.8.2 with the stronger regen and tried turning hold mode back on, and it was a lot less clunk frequency than before. So i think the issue is regen braking blending into the caliper braking and maybe software can fix it or maybe an issue with the caliper and a loose brake pad? Not sure but it feels like it’s something within those 2 braking system.

Thanks for the reply. I'm surprised that this isn't a broader topic on these forums. I would assume if it's "known issue" that all new deliveries of Long Range Plus X's would be experiencing the same. Could be that some people who don't previously own a Tesla think it's just normal.

Service told me they are starting to see more of it for the X for the rear end. On the S they said they see this issue on the front end

Glad to hear not everyone has this issue, and some might not even notice bc its their first X and think its normal ? I owned a previous non raven X plus the loaner X while my X was in the shop, and none of them had this wierd clunking at low speed. If you floor it or accelerate smooth and firm, no issue. If you tap on it while in traffic or trying to park, it clunks since those are low speed scenarios

Have you tried creep mode to see if that reduces the shaking/clunking? Curious if that works for you too?

Last edited:
Service told me they are starting to see more of it for the X for the rear end. On the S they said they see this issue on the front end

Glad to hear not everyone has this issue, and some might not even notice bc its their first X and think its normal ? I owned a previous non raven X plus the loaner X while my X was in the shop, and none of them had this wierd clunking at low speed. If you floor it or accelerate smooth and firm, no issue. If you tap on it while in traffic or trying to park, it clunks since those are low speed scenarios

Have you tried creep mode to see if that reduces the shaking/clunking? Curious if that works for you too?

Using creep mode mitigates the shaking when coming to a stop. However, I still feel it when accelerating at slow speeds. It's extremely noticeable when driving on an incline that adds additional resistance to the motor, such as backing into my garage.

Yeah the Hold mode on the 3 is smooth, you do hear a slight mechanical caliper click but it’s very faint and don’t hear it with the radio on.

Update to 2020.8.2 seems to have help, my guess is it’s something in the regen braking aggressiveness since the update has help it. And if it is software related, even better since that can be fixed without going back to Tesla

My LR+ has always had more driveline snatch and low speed pulsing than my other EVs. However, most EVs have some. Maybe all.
I'm not going to worry about it unless the level of it increases, which would indicate that some component is decaying.

Bumping this up to see if any new LR+ owners are experiencing this pulsating when decelerating from 3 to 0 mph. I'm still trying to determine if this is unique to my Model X or if it impacts all new LR+ builds after 2/20.

My '21 does this, I added it to my list of items at the first "fix the stuff the factory should have caught" service visit and am told it's normal operation. It's pretty repeatable at 2mph, the slower the stop, the more noticeable it is, so, for instance, if I need to slow for a yellow turning to red and use full regen all the way down to stop at the line, it's pretty much nonexistent. But creeping along looking at christmas lights at a drive-through display, it's every time the car stops.

My '21 does this, I added it to my list of items at the first "fix the stuff the factory should have caught" service visit and am told it's normal operation. It's pretty repeatable at 2mph, the slower the stop, the more noticeable it is, so, for instance, if I need to slow for a yellow turning to red and use full regen all the way down to stop at the line, it's pretty much nonexistent. But creeping along looking at christmas lights at a drive-through display, it's every time the car stops.

Not all Model X's are experiencing this pulsation. I test drove two other 2020 LR+ demos and they were perfectly smooth. Neither of them experienced any pulsation at low speed.

My LR+ is 9 months old and I reported this issue to the service center the day after picking it up. It was the first one they every came across that shook like that at low speed. They unplugged the rear motor and the pulsation went away. After talking with engineering, they told me it would be corrected in a future firmware update. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on that update. I have a hunch it's never going to happen.

• Informative
Reactions: MXLRplus
I currently have this on my 2015 model S P85D. It just started happening. It mostly happens on an incline when I slow from 3-0 or if I reverse slowly. I made an appointment at the SC and emailed an advisor and all the sudden it’s gone away.

It’s a major clunk/rattle at the rear end and then the car shakes. At first I thought I curbed a wheel and I was so mad at myself. Then it kept happening. I’m crossing my fingers it will be gone for good!

The front camera is very blurry on the bottom half of the sentry videos. They claim this is 'normal' for the X, because the location of the camera picks up the bottom of the camera housing. I don't have another X to compare against.

No, it's not normal. I think because the camera module is not pressed against the windshield, it allows air to get in and out and accumulates dust. The solution is to clean the windshield under the front cameras cover right in front of the cameras. Here are pictures of my front camera before and after cleaning. As you can see, before cleaning, license plates of the car that's 20 feet away was not readable but became clear after I cleaned the windshield.

Before:
upload_2021-1-14_9-22-55.png

After:
upload_2021-1-14_9-23-22.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Art VandeIay
Bumping this up to see if any new LR+ owners are experiencing this pulsating when decelerating from 3 to 0 mph. I'm still trying to determine if this is unique to my Model X or if it impacts all new LR+ builds after 2/20.
2020 MX RAVEN and getting front struts done next week. But now little or no front shudder-but very noticeable shack or wobble side to side at low speeds. Big O checked tire balances--all good; all rims true; so just transmission. Started after software transmission update or drove in LOW suspension for a month. Any one else have this low speed wobble?