Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulsating Noise and Solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a MS75, which I took deliver of on March 18, 2017. Today I had my first real glitch. I was driving and I heard what sounded like a pulsating repetitive noise from the front. I don't have a front motor so I was not sure why I had a noise.

After trying to change audio stations, mute audio, turn on wipers and windshield washers (things that could be in the front of the car), I pulled off the freeway. Even when the car was off, and I exited, the "bump -d- bump -d- bump sound continued. I pulled out the USB drive. No change. I selected a song through my iPhone. Sound continued. I changed streaming channels. Slow to change channels but sound continued.

Since I thought I'd be late to an appointment, I went to call my appointment, and once I dialed the phone through bluetooth, the sound stopped. Started again the second I hung up the phone. I was puzzled, but did a reset of the center screen and the noise went away.

Any ideas?

I have a MS75, which I took deliver of on March 18, 2017. Today I had my first real glitch. I was driving and I heard what sounded like a pulsating repetitive noise from the front. I don't have a front motor so I was not sure why I had a noise.

After trying to change audio stations, mute audio, turn on wipers and windshield washers (things that could be in the front of the car), I pulled off the freeway. Even when the car was off, and I exited, the "bump -d- bump -d- bump sound continued. I pulled out the USB drive. No change. I selected a song through my iPhone. Sound continued. I changed streaming channels. Slow to change channels but sound continued.

Since I thought I'd be late to an appointment, I went to call my appointment, and once I dialed the phone through bluetooth, the sound stopped. Started again the second I hung up the phone. I was puzzled, but did a reset of the center screen and the noise went away.

Any ideas?
Was the phone in the cubby? I get GSM interference from time to time (buzzy intermittent audio caused by the phone talking to the tower).

Yep, you have to reset your Navigation Screen just like you did. It happens to me every now and then. For those that don't know, you have to push and hold the two scroll wheels on the steering wheel until the screen goes off, then immediately let go. Seems to be a usual glitch.

Last edited:
I had similar experience a few weeks ago. As I was driving my '16 MX on to a highway, it happened to run through a little rumble strip on the road exactly as the navigation system was giving voice directions. From then on all I could hear was a very high pitch, loud and continuous buzz. Pulled over at the next stop; tried several things without success. Finally, did a reset, just as some of you are saying, and everything was fine after that.

Glad I found this thread! Same thing happened to me last week. I was convinced something had failed or that I had something wrong with my front driver's side tire, but something told me to reboot the MCU and main screen, and indeed, the noise went away.

It really did sound like it was coming from the front wheel well.