Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulsing/clicking felt in accelerator and brake pedal multiple times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While driving today in cold, yucky rain I noticed several times that I felt what seemed to be some sort of feedback through the pedals, almost like how on some cars you can feel the ABS system test itself when you first start off. In my case it happened seemingly most often after starting off from a stop light at 10-20mph.

My car did update to 2021.4.3 last night, however I don’t know if it’s related to this or not. I’ve got nearly 36,000 miles on my P3D+ and not once have I ever felt these pulses through the pedals while driving. No warnings are illuminated so I don’t know if it’s indicative of a problem or not. Figured I would ask the audience at large if any of you folks have experienced this or not.

Also, not sure if this is related, but while I was turning into a shopping center at the end of my drive (200 miles after setting off this AM), I heard some other strange sound for about 3 seconds. To me it sounded similar to when the car activates the traction control system when you have wheel slip. Almost sounds like something faintly metallic recoiling.

While driving today in cold, yucky rain I noticed several times that I felt what seemed to be some sort of feedback through the pedals, almost like how on some cars you can feel the ABS system test itself when you first start off. In my case it happened seemingly most often after starting off from a stop light at 10-20mph.

My car did update to 2021.4.3 last night, however I don’t know if it’s related to this or not. I’ve got nearly 36,000 miles on my P3D+ and not once have I ever felt these pulses through the pedals while driving. No warnings are illuminated so I don’t know if it’s indicative of a problem or not. Figured I would ask the audience at large if any of you folks have experienced this or not.

Also, not sure if this is related, but while I was turning into a shopping center at the end of my drive (200 miles after setting off this AM), I heard some other strange sound for about 3 seconds. To me it sounded similar to when the car activates the traction control system when you have wheel slip. Almost sounds like something faintly metallic recoiling.

Driving on thick clean ice for several days I can attest to hearing and feeling traction control sounds when trying to accelerate or turn. My AWD M3 is the only vehicle I trust in this weather conditions. If there is any chance the roads are icy or slippery, I think you can experience a normal behavior of your car's traction control system. Slow down.

I wondered if this was it. I looked up “brake disc wiping” which is what VW/Audi calls it, but limited info abounds. It did it again today in the rain once or twice.
Well, it makes sense to read owners manual.
Let me quote few important things you don't know about Tesla brakes.

Brake Disc Wiping
To ensure your brakes remain responsive in cold and wet weather Model 3 is equipped with brake disc wiping. When cold and wet weather is detected, this feature repeatedly applies an imperceptible amount of brake force to clear away water from the surface of the brake discs.

Hydraulic Fade Compensation
Your vehicle is also equipped with hydraulic fade compensation. This feature assists in monitoring brake system pressure and ABS activity for instances of lower brake performance. If lower brake performance is detected (for example, as a result of brake fade, or cold or wet conditions), you may feel the brake pedal pull away from your foot, detect some noise, and notice as strong increase in vehicle braking. Continue to press the brake pedal without releasing or "pumping" them — brake as you normally would.

Hydraulic Boost Compensation
Model 3 is equipped with a brake booster that provides a mechanical advantage that effectively activates the brakes when the brake pedal is pressed. Hydraulic boost compensation provides mechanical assist in the event of a brake booster failure. If a brake booster failure is detected, the brake pedal may feel harder to press and you may hear some noise when you press the brake pedal. To stop the vehicle, apply adequate steady force on the brake pedal without releasing or "pumping" them. Exercise caution while driving and maintain a safe distance as brake pedal responsiveness and braking performance may be degraded.

Emergency Braking
In emergency situations, if the brakes are not functioning properly, press and hold the Park button on the drive stalk to bring the vehicle to a stop. Do not use this method to stop the vehicle unless absolutely necessary.

Last edited: