Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulsing / High Pitch Whine at 20-30mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This pulsing/high pitched whine is killing me. I know there have been other posts on here with similar complaints. Does anyone else have this sound? (Brown1428 and rorrim, similar?) Consistent at 20-30mph, worse at 28mph. It’s tough to tell if it’s from the front or back. I’ve been told once it’s normal but have another service appt on Oct 27 for review again. The sound is definitely not present on my AWD Model 3.

I’m already at 38 total days of service visits including 3 mobile service. At least my A/C works now. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Thanks for listening. Its gone after 30mph or either drowned out enough by road noise that I can’t hear it.

I saw on another post that you were able to get Tesla to buy back your Model Y and provide a new one? I have had many of the same issues you experienced and also took delivery early during COVID where there appears to be a significant higher number of quality issues with the Model Y just ramping up production at that time (been in the shop > 30 days at this point). The biggest issue I experienced was the high pitched motor whine. I was able to get Tesla to finally replace the rear motor (they determined it was the rear after doing some extensive testing). It fixed the problem I was having initially, but now I'm starting to hear whining noises again (at higher speeds than previously)...I have a couple of questions for you based on your experience:

(1) With your new Model Y, do you hear any motor whine at all? I know once you hear it, you will always hear it unless it's completely gone. :)

(2) How did you go about getting the buy back? Did you work it through Service or through Sales? Just looking for some advice if I need to go that route at this point.

Thanks and appreciate any guidance you can provide!

I am having similar issues. High pitch beeping sound at about 63km/hr, all the way to about 73, then drowned, but still there. I went to 2 different SC and they both told me that is normal motor noise and did nothing. I'll probably complain again after the winter and see. I'm located in Toronto Canada. MY took delivery on September 26, now with 2670km. Any recommendations on doing some extra sound proofing to reduce the beeping for the time being.