Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pump Running While Connected to Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gotcha. Thanks for the reply. I guess in my case, there might be something else as well. In my couple of attempts, after unplugging the vehicle, the pumps stayed on till the battery level reaches 80, then they go silent.
What did you set the charge to? If close to 80% then prob nothing else going on. Try charging to 90% and see how it behaves.

Gotcha. Thanks for the reply. I guess in my case, there might be something else as well. In my couple of attempts, after unplugging the vehicle, the pumps stayed on till the battery level reaches 80, then they go silent.

On the 85 packs, does not matter if you are plugged in or not. 77-79%, all four cooling pumps run at 100% per SMT. They don't slow down, or allow the car to sleep, until approx 73% Soc

I’m not sure I follow what you’re saying, but my understanding is it will do exactly what you describe. The battery coolant is circulated continuously any time SOC is above ~80%.
What I meant was I didn’t think it KEPT running until it got down to 80%, ie if I set it to 100% and didn’t drive, it’ll run the pump until I it gets back down to 80%. I knew it ran for a while, but if charging is done, it wouldn’t continue until the magic 80%. Easy experiment next time I charge.

Set charge limit to 90% last night. Woke up this morning and battery was at 86% and pump still running. Disconnected the HPWC and went to have breakfast. Checking car now and it’s still at 86%. Pump is not on, so for me, either 86% is the number or 4%/charge cable disconnect stops the cooling. That is, if I charge to 95%, Will the pump stop at 91%?
Either way, no biggie, just data points. I’ll continue to leave my limit at 75% for daily use.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
So, an interesting update to this...

My car's 8 year warranty expired close to the end of May. Soon after, there was a firmware update. That's nothing unusual, right?

Wrong. My first supercharging session after the update (haven't supercharged in several months) showed charging rates up to where they were prior to Tesla nerfing my supercharging a couple years ago.

Anyone want to tell me that's a coincidence? I'd say it's unlikely they magically 'found' a way to safely charge this pack just as my warranty expired. More likely, now that they aren't on the hook for keeping the battery healthy until the end of warranty, they just don't care. I've complained several times to Service (NEVER had even an acknowledgement of my emails), so who wants to bet that put me on the list to get me off their back?

This has only ramped me up more...

I haven't changed the daily charge rate to something above 75% since the update. I'll have to do that and see if the pumps are now off too.

So, an interesting update to this...

My car's 8 year warranty expired close to the end of May. Soon after, there was a firmware update. That's nothing unusual, right?

Wrong. My first supercharging session after the update (haven't supercharged in several months) showed charging rates up to where they were prior to Tesla nerfing my supercharging a couple years ago.

Anyone want to tell me that's a coincidence? I'd say it's unlikely they magically 'found' a way to safely charge this pack just as my warranty expired. More likely, now that they aren't on the hook for keeping the battery healthy until the end of warranty, they just don't care. I've complained several times to Service (NEVER had even an acknowledgement of my emails), so who wants to bet that put me on the list to get me off their back?

This has only ramped me up more...

I haven't changed the daily charge rate to something above 75% since the update. I'll have to do that and see if the pumps are now off too.

That is interesting. My December 2014 build continues to be slow, all the time. We just took a couple thousand mile trip and the super charging was a lot slower than we would like most of the time. It would only occasionally even get to 100 let alone over it. And then only for seconds. Mostly I charged around CHAdeMO speeds - 50 kW. Still, I love the car I love driving it.