TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pump (some sort of movie)

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by SwedishAdvocate, Jul 16, 2014.

1. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

#1 SwedishAdvocate, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

Elon/Model S on screen @ ~1:48.

Pump (2014) - IMDb

2. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

Awesome. This goes along with the book I'm reading right now 'Internal Combustion'. Can't wait.

3. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

Judging from the trailer... is that like judging a book by it's cover?.... anyway, I think I'll like about ~5% of that movie... Biofuels are FUD; they don't scale. Solar PV Scales => EVs scale. Corn-based ethanol was one of the biggest boondoggles in history...

This shows promise but it's too early to tell...
    http://www.jouleunlimited.com

4. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

Yeah, I'm hoping it's not too focused on other fuels. Hopefully since Elon is actually in it, the movie will focus more on EVs.

5. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

I'm in favor of the bigger picture, which is fuel diversification. All of the issues brought up on this thread are true. Corn ethanol is a major boondoggle, and obviously, natural gas has its own political and environmental baggage. Ultimately, electricity is the MOST diverse fuel, because you can make it from just about anything.

6. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Technically, electricity isn't a fuel, it's a "secondary source." But that's good news, because there are lots of ways to make it, including ways that are still doodles on napkins. There's only one way to make gasoline....

7. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

So in that sense, it's like hydrogen, which is considered an energy carrier. It's somewhat counter-intuitive that a secondary source would be more efficient that a primary one, but considering the thermal inefficiency of ICE engines (about 20-30%, I believe) it seems to be the case.

8. roblab

roblab Active Member

When I think about that, it seems that electricity in a battery is stored fuel, and liquified fossil remains are stored fuel. The original source would be solar or geothermal in case of fossils, but it's still stored fuel. And it was stored secondarily in plants and other animals.

Electricity is generally used as it's made. That seems to be the main difference. Putting newly converted energy into storage is different. Using wood for heat, or coal, to make steam to run a piston was using stored energy. The source is still the sun.

So storing the sun's energy in a battery, or using stored energy in a gas car, or storing fossil solar or newly arrived solar as hydrogen-- they're all secondary.

9. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

So this is out now and it has a pretty good score. It's not in too many locations in my area, so will probably have to wait until itunes or something.

TOMATOMETER

67%
    Average Rating: 6.5/10
    Reviews Counted: 12
    Fresh: 8 | Rotten: 4

AUDIENCE SCORE

91% liked it

User Ratings: 287

10. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

#10 ggies07, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    You can rent this on iTunes now for $3.99. Elon has a small interview in this as well. I also learned about the China culture and how the girls look for a male who has a car already. They call BMW - Be My Wife. hahaha.

Edit: I like the first part about the oil industry and how the world is addicted to it and how we need to get off of it, but I don't like how the second part is all about diversifying fuels for the American people and letting them decide. I'm a firm believer in electric transportation tied to solar for our future and so just switching to a different liquid does not help our situation.