Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pumping gas is HARD!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been about 2 years or so since I was at a gas station. However, we'd run out of gas for the snow throwers and so needed to get more for the next storm.
My wife's Prius was finally below 1/2 of a tank. Turns out that if you use the EV for around town and with a pandemic, not going to as many dog agility matches, she'd only driven about 2,000 miles in the last year!

Anyway, so we drove the Prius to the gas station and I got out to fill up the car and the gas can. Do you have any idea how hard it is???

First you got to select the right nozzle.
Then lift it off the post and select the grade of gas you want.
Then you have to remember that you need to go back into the car and open the gas tank cover.
Then you have to actually unscrew the tank cover to you can put in the nozzle.
Once you do all of that, you actually have to stand there and hold the bloody nozzle and maintain your grip so it'll actually pump the gas.

It is exhausting!!!

Then, once that stops, I got the nozzle into the gas can, and filled up that (roughly 2.5 gallons), while bent over (as the can needs to stay on the ground) and hold the silly nozzle. Finally it clicked off.
I put the nozzle back into the proper tray on the pump.
Closed up the gas can and put it in the back of the car and got in. My wife then asked for the receipt!
Forgotten that part.
Got back out of the car, but the pump was no longer wanting to print the receipt, however I noticed that the gas tank cover and tank cover were still sticking out,
Oops, forgot to do that also. This was getting to be a LOT of work. How do people stand for this?
It is exhausting!!!
No chance to stretch and relax for a few minutes.
So happy with my Y choice now!

stone-cold.gif

It's been about 2 years or so since I was at a gas station. However, we'd run out of gas for the snow throwers and so needed to get more for the next storm.
My wife's Prius was finally below 1/2 of a tank. Turns out that if you use the EV for around town and with a pandemic, not going to as many dog agility matches, she'd only driven about 2,000 miles in the last year!

Anyway, so we drove the Prius to the gas station and I got out to fill up the car and the gas can. Do you have any idea how hard it is???

Then you have to remember that you need to go back into the car and open the gas tank cover.
Once you do all of that, you actually have to stand there and hold the bloody nozzle and maintain your grip so it'll actually pump the gas.

It is exhausting!!!

Then, once that stops, I got the nozzle into the gas can, and filled up that (roughly 2.5 gallons), while bent over (as the can needs to stay on the ground) and hold the silly nozzle. Finally it clicked off.
Closed up the gas can and put it in the back of the car and got in. My wife then asked for the receipt!
Forgotten that part.
Got back out of the car, but the pump was no longer wanting to print the receipt, however I noticed that the gas tank cover and tank cover were still sticking out,
Oops, forgot to do that also. This was getting to be a LOT of work. How do people stand for this?
It is exhausting!!!
There’s no mechanism to hold the nozzle trigger at your stations?

It is exhausting!!!

Forgotten that part.
It is exhausting!!!
New Jersey is now the only state where an attendant will do all of that for you. It is illegal to pump your own gas here.

Reactions: 101dals

It is exhausting!!!

Forgotten that part.
It is exhausting!!!
You poor thing! It's a miracle you survived. Might I suggest a visit to your therapist? It may require some effort but this can, in fact, be worked through........and always remember, we are here for you........you are not alone.......

It is exhausting!!!

Forgotten that part.
It is exhausting!!!

If you really think that getting a few gallons of gas is exhausting and hard, i don’t know what to tell you. Just….. good luck .

I had a similar experience driving my wife's 4Runner. Forget the overwhelming trauma of a gas station, that crazy 4Runner was so lazy it wouldn't even get up off of its fat ass to come pick me up. And once I did walk over and get in I had to steer using a steering wheel, what? To stop I had to use a thing called a "brake", and on top of all of that, I had to use a "gas pedal" just to make it move. Can you even imagine? It's a wonder I don't have full-blown PTSD!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Puma2020
I drive most always in EV mode with my Prius Prime, something like 95% of the time. I might not even use a teaspoon of gas for weeks. Two years ago, I went 16 months without filling up. When I do pump that liquid smelly stuff into my car, I write down mileage and other data into a notebook. I've done that with all three Prii that we've owned. Just habit.

So when I knew I had to finally fill the tank, I didn't even remember what buttons to hit to extract the data. I literally had to look it up in the owner's manual. Rather embarrassing.

Gas is hard.

Reactions: Puma2020
Here in Oregon there is a push on to let people pump their own gas. Oregon has been one of 5 states I think, that won't let people pump their own gas..for many many years, for a number of reasons. When we had a oil burner, I was way happy to get it pumped..it used to rain a lot here and I wouldn't stink of gas and I am not lazy. Now people ( lots of them moving here) are in such a big feeeking hurry, they want to pump their own gas. Slow down people, life is short..relax, or go back to L.A. (oops ) mini rant.