Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pumping up our tyres

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

How are most of you keeping your tyres at the correct pressure?

Do you drive into a servo?

Do you have a compressor at home?

If you have a compressor is it 12 votls or 240 volts?

I am inclined to get a 240 volt compressor, just thought I would ask.

Cheers
Greg

Hi Greg
I have pumped up at my local BP, though I also buy coffees there so I'm still a customer in some way. I've got a 240V compressor that I've used most, and a 12V compressor I've bought to take with us on trips.
Sorry that doesn't narrow it down at all...
Geoff

Hi

How are most of you keeping your tyres at the correct pressure?

Do you drive into a servo?

Do you have a compressor at home?

If you have a compressor is it 12 votls or 240 volts?

I am inclined to get a 240 volt compressor, just thought I would ask.

Cheers
Greg
Hi, I have a 240v compressor but I use it for many other things (air tools, sand blasting etc.). It runs from the solar battery so I don't feel guilty.

If all you wanted to do was keep the tires up then a 12v one would be more than fine. ...or you could even go mega green and do it with a high capacity bike floor pump. I have done this in the past - just not from flat!

I bought a manual foot pump from SCA when I noticed pressures dropped from 41 to 38/37 after 3 months of driving.
Looked at 12v plug in and rechargeable options.
Foot pump was $30. Not that hard to use.
Gauge may be a little bit out but I have a digital gauge to double check.
All tyres showing 41 for the past week.
Good exercise as well.

I use a 240v compressor. You only need a small one (less than $200). When I built the house I put an air line through to the garage, pool (pool toys) and bike store, so the compressor is in a sound proof room with the pool pump and vacuum system. Nice and quiet in the garage, and activated via the house app on my phone. I only check tyres when the sun gives me solar power. I also use a retractable reel located between the cars. This makes it extremely convenient, and it swings around to my bench for any air tool work.
I dont go to servo’s anymore, and keep a never used 12v tyre repair kit in the frunk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vostok
Did use a 240V compressor but that is now part of the ash pile that was my workshop (still waiting for the cleanup crew). Will get another when the insurance comes through. Also have a 12V and use servos.
Another question is which pressure reading do you trust, the car's sensors or a good quality gauge (definitely not servo gauges).

I have my tyres pumped to 50 psi. Ride is a bit firmer and definitely more efficient.

I only have the Tesla tyre repair kit in the boot which has a 12V compressor. It is fine for pumping tyres up - not slow despite what you might read on the net. It's bl**dy noisy though.

I picked up a Milwaukie tyre inflator today and gave it a go when I got home. Bloody impressive, and I think it will live in the car when we go on road trips.

$129 from Sydney Tools. It uses a different battery size though, so I ended up spending a bit more to get an appropriate sized battery to use it. Works on normal charger.

Genuine Michelin branded foot pump, needs about 40 pumps per psi and comes with free leg exercises :cool: I also bought this digital tyre pressure gauge from a recommendation from someone on TMC but it has no branding on it. The best thing about it is the leak down button so you can pump up to just over your target pressure then use the leak down button to get it exactly right.
upload_2020-4-14_17-51-59.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Hungry Mile
Genuine Michelin branded foot pump, needs about 40 pumps per psi and comes with free leg exercises :cool: I also bought this digital tyre pressure gauge from a recommendation from someone on TMC but it has no branding on it. The best thing about it is the leak down button so you can pump up to just over your target pressure then use the leak down button to get it exactly right.
View attachment 532171
My tyre pressure was down 4psi on the weekend, so after 160 pumps (per tyre) I wouldnt be aiming for an extra one just to leak it out

• Informative
Reactions: Hovean