Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Puncture repair options (Hankook 19”)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

We had a puncture in our model Y yesterday caused by a screw right in the middle of one of the treads. When pumped back up to 42 the tyre was easily losing 3psi every few minutes and you could hear the hiss.

Anyway the AA came and plugged it from the outside as we were 35 minutes from home and it’s held at 50psi since.

I took it to Kwik Fit today but they have said they can’t repair it as it’s already been “repaired” once by the AA!

Is this normal/anybody else’s experience? I’m slightly miffed about it as a new tyre is £250!

Pete

Reactions: UltramarineX
Hi all

We had a puncture in our model Y yesterday caused by a screw right in the middle of one of the treads. When pumped back up to 42 the tyre was easily losing 3psi every few minutes and you could hear the hiss.

Anyway the AA came and plugged it from the outside as we were 35 minutes from home and it’s held at 50psi since.

I took it to Kwik Fit today but they have said they can’t repair it as it’s already been “repaired” once by the AA!

Is this normal/anybody else’s experience? I’m slightly miffed about it as a new tyre is £250!

Pete
If the AA guy took the tyre off the rim and plugged it from the inside then that's likely a permanent repair, if they did it from the outside like with a home kit it can be classed as a more temporary repair but some people are happy to continue with these ones.

I would prefer a permanent inside repair seeing as your MY tyre is going to have many more miles to go on it

If the AA guy took the tyre off the rim and plugged it from the inside then that's likely a permanent repair, if they did it from the outside like with a home kit it can be classed as a more temporary repair but some people are happy to continue with these ones.

I would prefer a permanent inside repair seeing as your MY tyre is going to have many more miles to go on it
Yes it was just an external one, and to be fair to them they’ve said don’t drive more than 100 miles (officially).

I too would prefer a more permanent inside > out fix. I’ll see what my usual local garage (Hawleys in Sheffield) says tomorrow when they open.

Yes it was just an external one, and to be fair to them they’ve said don’t drive more than 100 miles (officially).

I too would prefer a more permanent inside > out fix. I’ll see what my usual local garage (Hawleys in Sheffield) says tomorrow when they open.
What did they say? Am just wondering what kind or repair kit to carry with me in my new MYLR. First car without a spare tyre!!

The reason why some garages won't want to repair an existing puncture is that the rubber plugs and glue should amalgamate with they tyre, meaning you cant just pull them out, you'd have to drill a new hole and cut/sand them off on the inside. If it's done properly the chance of it popping out when you're driving should be near 0, but I guess there's a possibility it may leak, in which case you'd know about it before it was a real issue. I had two in my last rear tyre, as I was due to change it and bought some new tyres ready to go on, but was busy and thought as it wasn't causing an issue..... I ran the tyre for about 10k with the one in (the other was just before I then changed the tyre) when I took the tyre off I checked and I couldn't pull either of them out.
If you can find someone that will carefully remove and repair from the inside, then great, but if it was a case of scrapping the tyre or running with the "temporary" plug in, I'd keep the tyre but make sure I carried a repair kit.
As with anything related to safety, the official line would be don't ask people like me on a forum. Throw it in the bin and put a new tyre on..... But that's not what I did.
Right, I'm off to go poke this sleeping bear I saw with a sharp stick if anyone wants to join me?

tyre gunk probably won't work in a foam lined tyre and you have to be careful re varieties of gunk that they don't destroy your TPMS. Gunks work with particulate matter that has to get through the foam to the hole. Some variations use fibres which over time can ball-up and lead to tyre imbalance. Varieties claim you can wash them out for a proper repair later but talking to my local garage they tell me that for the time it takes to clean a tyre well enough they'll likely charge as much as a new tyre - and they are an economical garage that only charged me a tenner each time they patched my S's tyres.
As you know standard repair from inside is a mushroom bonded to the inner wall after grinding it flat and clean. I'd have thought that so long as an external plug was drilled through you wouldn't have to worry about getting last vestiges out - the inner mushroom and adhesive should still seal?
After four punctures on my car I now drive with the tyre pressure displayed and keep an intermittent eye on them or the earliest warning and carry a pump. Anything more than a slow manageable puncture and the RAC can sort it My days of jacking a car roadside have gone as have the days when I'd consider inching it forwards and the crawling around looking for a hole (rinse /repeat). I carry snacks, drinks and phone entertainment and patience....
I can guarantee that any puncture i'd have to fix would be on busy motorways on the driver's side and i don't wish to be wiped off by a lorry.

The reason why some garages won't want to repair an existing puncture is that the rubber plugs and glue should amalgamate with they tyre, meaning you cant just pull them out, you'd have to drill a new hole and cut/sand them off on the inside. If it's done properly the chance of it popping out when you're driving should be near 0, but I guess there's a possibility it may leak, in which case you'd know about it before it was a real issue. I had two in my last rear tyre, as I was due to change it and bought some new tyres ready to go on, but was busy and thought as it wasn't causing an issue..... I ran the tyre for about 10k with the one in (the other was just before I then changed the tyre) when I took the tyre off I checked and I couldn't pull either of them out.
If you can find someone that will carefully remove and repair from the inside, then great, but if it was a case of scrapping the tyre or running with the "temporary" plug in, I'd keep the tyre but make sure I carried a repair kit.
As with anything related to safety, the official line would be don't ask people like me on a forum. Throw it in the bin and put a new tyre on..... But that's not what I did.
Right, I'm off to go poke this sleeping bear I saw with a sharp stick if anyone wants to join me?

Shop around. I had a local tyre merchant do a proper repair on an tyre that had a temporary fix applied by the AA. The AA guy said it was good for 50 miles but he's driven a lot farther with a plug patch. The tyre shop guy had no problem cutting out the acoustic foam, patching and then regluing the foam. YMMV.

BTW I don't hear much difference between the expensive acoustic and non-acoustic tyres.

Reactions: Toblerone