Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Punctured tire. $98.00

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

4SUPER9

2022 Model S
Jun 6, 2013
So Cal
I just had Tesla come by my house to fix a small puncture in my tire. There was a simple screw in the tire that I found a few days ago when I saw a slow leak. I've been losing about 2 PSI/day. I took it to a couple of tire shops here in LA, and they refused to patch it because it is a Tesla and has a special foam inside. I have never heard of that. Typically, a patch costs me about $25 to fix.
Well, at least it is done and they came to me.
Is there someone in West LA that repairs Tesla tires?

Yes, most if not all Teslas use tires with acoustic foam attached to the inside of the tire. I don't think there's anything wrong with using tires without the foam nor can a tire not be repaired because of the foam. Perhaps the issue comes up if the customer complains that the patched tire is louder as a result of the foam being removed or compromised.

Call around to ask if various tire shops would patch the tire and/or remove the foam; I'd start with America's Tire.

Depends on the tire shop. Had a foamed tire repaired for $20 at Americas Tire. They used an air tool to grind away the area so the plug would stick. Said they had done a bunch of them and have developed a policy.
Of course, sending a mobile unit out to your location will cost more, but probably worth it.

Reactions: Obsoletion
If you had them COME to you, would you really expect it to cost $25.00?

I wouldn't show up to any service call for less than $100.00
I absolutely agree. $25 would be ridiculously cheap for a house call. I have no issue with paying them this much to come out. Since I had the time and ease to drive and have it done elsewhere, that would have been my preference. I wonder how much Tesla charges if done at their service center?

Service center probably about the same. They charge shop rates.

The independant tire shops offer inexpensive tire repairs and rotations to get people into their service bays. This often results in the sale of a new tire or other billable repairs. Their seems to be a tire store most everywhere, so they compete hard for customers.

Tesla Service centers are usually filled with warranty and customer repairs. No need to induce people to come in for discounted service.

The repair kits are great if the tire is removed from the car. It's a pain to get the punch to go though and you need your full weight behind it. Laying on the ground with the nail facing a small section of open fender is going to be difficult to do.

Is there someone in West LA that repairs Tesla tires?

Xalos Tires
1189 South La Brea Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90019

Not really West LA, but more Mid Wiilshire.
Talk to Jorge, i always take my car there when i have tire issues, and he has patched my tire before if its patchable.
Because of me, he is quite used to Tesla Model S's now.
Make sure you put your car in jack mode for him, as i think he forgets sometimes to do it himself.

American tire, Discount tire, Les Schwab, they all should know how to patch a foam tire. You just have to cut away the foam before patching. Les Schwab always repair my tires for free.

Agreed. The local service center actually suggested I try the local Discount Tire store. I did that (twice) and was delighted when Discount did not charge for the repair either time. They even do rotations and seasonal tire swaps no charge. I asked the manager how they can afford to do that and he said they do loose money doing that but hope folks will buy tires from them (which I now do)..

The repair kits are great if the tire is removed from the car. It's a pain to get the punch to go though and you need your full weight behind it. Laying on the ground with the nail facing a small section of open fender is going to be difficult to do.

You could use Summon to position the tire just where you need it though and the weight of the car will make sure the tire does not go anywhere as you pull...

Still, all I'm saying is it is better to have that option than no option. Always keep that kit and a compressor in the car when I travel.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits