Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Punctured tire repair, tire out of stock - advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night I had a massive 1/4"D x 3"L screw puncture my rear passenger tire (stock 20" Goodyears) on my MY LR. I was able to make it home safely before the tire deflated all the way. It was bordering the "unrepairable" shoulder zone of the tire and so to play it uber-safe I summoned Roadside Assistance to come to my house this morning to pick it up and take it to my Tesla to the local Service Center.

Long story short, the SC texted in the app and said they do not have the 20" Goodyears in stock and will install a loaner wheel if they determine the existing tire cannot be repaired. They suggested sourcing a new tire from Tirerack and drop shipping it to the SC as the tires are currently backordered.

Now for the advice: My vehicle has 3,450 miles on it so far and just this one tire. It sounds like regardless of outcome, I will need to replace the tire. Should I attempt the Tirerack route or other website in your experiences that will have the Goodyears? Or should I bite a larger bullet and order two tires (to replace both rears) with a better all-season tire such as the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+ ? I am soon undergoing a big out of state move so I do not want to spend heaps of $$ on a full set of tires.

PS - when replacing the tire (whether with another Goodyear or another brand) do I need to order new TPMS or will they reuse the TPMS from the old tire(s)?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Supply chain issues are real, and hitting every industry.
Tire Rack is independent, but owned by the same company that owns Discount Tire/Tire America. That said, I just learned this morning that their warehouse stock isn't shared info. (TR showed "out of stock" until July 7 for a set of tires I wanted, Discount Tire sourced a set of 4 to be delivered next week.)

Based on the above, I'd contact both TR and your local DT, find out if the tire is in fact unavailable.

That said, if the tire isn't repairable, at 3500 miles, w/o any excess wear, I'd just replace the damaged tire with another Goodyear. If you decide to replace both tires (same axle), you'll hear all sorts of opinions about what tires are recommended. ;)

I hope your tire can be safely repaired.

Reactions: gaswalla
Usually the last place you want to take a flat tire to is a Tesla SC. They replace, not repair tires. You could just order a tire online from Tire Rack or even Amazon. Then just take the flat off the MY and take it and the new tire to a local tire shop to get the old removed and the new mounted and balanced. This will be less stressful and a lot cheaper than dealing with Tesla service. This holds true for any car brand.

Tire rack looks to have the OEM Goodyears in stock (Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 M+S) and there are two models - one at $245 and other identical at $325. All ratings identical but the latter states it has “T0 Tesla” and “Soundtech” features…. I assume that’s the foam lining inside.

Any reason to HAVE TO get the more expensive version or will having one tire without foam lining while the rest are, be an issue?

Tire rack looks to have the OEM Goodyears in stock (Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 M+S) and there are two models - one at $245 and other identical at $325. All ratings identical but the latter states it has “T0 Tesla” and “Soundtech” features…. I assume that’s the foam lining inside.

Any reason to HAVE TO get the more expensive version or will having one tire without foam lining while the rest are, be an issue?

Personally, I wouldn't pay the difference just to get the foam.

Also, the foam turns tires into "Tesla tires" that "can't be repaired and have to be replaced". Our local Pep Boys told me that. It was a simple nail in the middle of the tread and I only had 470 miles on the car. It's all about the foam ....

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Trip McNealy
Personally, I wouldn't pay the difference just to get the foam.

Also, the foam turns tires into "Tesla tires" that "can't be repaired and have to be replaced". Our local Pep Boys told me that. It was a simple nail in the middle of the tread and I only had 470 miles on the car. It's all about the foam ....
Pep Boys was being lazy. They can cut out the piece of foam where the patch goes and glue it back. But agree, don't pay extra for the foam tires.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Well, turns out Tesla service is pretty awesome. Everything turned out to be covered (I guess maybe they felt a little bad with the nasty puncture) and I even got Uber credits to use to pick up my car at the SC.

They put a loaner wheel/tire on and are ordering the stock Goodyear F1 tire for me which turns out to be in-line with the pricing on Tirerack more or less. ETA is anywhere from a few days to a week or more depending on the shipments and this supply chain fiasco. My 20" Induction rim is tagged with my car/info and when the new tire comes in they will mount and balance it like new. The service rep even hinted at Mobile Service may be able to come out and swap the wheels at my house when everything is ready. Not sure why they didn't give me that option today but regardless, that'll be cool in the end.

Thanks all so far for the info on tires/foam/all that jazz. Definitely when ALL tires are getting worn I'll go for Michelin's next probably.

Trip McNealy: " I summoned Roadside Assistance to come to my house this morning to pick it up and take it to my Tesla to the local Service Center."

I read this to mean that he sent his wheel/tire to the SC, not the car? Am I wrong?

Trip McNealy: " I summoned Roadside Assistance to come to my house this morning to pick it up and take it to my Tesla to the local Service Center."

I read this to mean that he sent his wheel/tire to the SC, not the car? Am I wrong?
Good catch, I just assumed when you call roadside to have something picked up and taken to the service center, it was the car since the OP didn't feel safe driving it. Does that mean the car car is just sitting on a jack or jack stand?
If you have a jackstand, even more reason to have just had a new tire delivered to your house and just had it mounted/balanced at a local tire shop.

Usually the last place you want to take a flat tire to is a Tesla SC. They replace, not repair tires. You could just order a tire online from Tire Rack or even Amazon. Then just take the flat off the MY and take it and the new tire to a local tire shop to get the old removed and the new mounted and balanced. This will be less stressful and a lot cheaper than dealing with Tesla service. This holds true for any car brand.

This is not always true. I've had two punctures on two different tires already, and both times went to the Service Center in Owings Mills MD. Both times, I just showed up, without an appointment, also.

In the first one, it was not repairable, in the shoulder. They put on a new tire, and only charged me $279 total, for the tire, the mounting, and the Balancing. If you check the price of the Tesla rated tire on Tire Rack, you'll see I got a great deal from the Service Center.

The 2nd WAS repairable, and they did a patch and plug for $85. Haven't had an issue with it since, about 7 months.

Both times, my wait was less than an hour.

I guess it matters WHICH SC you go to...

^^^Yes. Discount Tire would have patched and plugged for $0. Add that to the $279...HAHA!

I prefer to reduce the workload at the SC by taking all tire/alignment issues elsewhere. At least where I am (DFW region), the ServiceCenters have more work than they can handle.

We have been Costco members for a long time. Costco carries mostly Michelin and Bridgestone tires but I always go with Michelin brand because of its thicker wall. I found that if we buy "enough" stuff at Costco the rebates from Costco and Costco Visa more than pay for our membership. Costco tire store in DE open on Sunday (most likely everywhere else) so it's convenient, Beside, return policy at Costco is excellent

• Love
Reactions: Trip McNealy
This is not always true. I've had two punctures on two different tires already, and both times went to the Service Center in Owings Mills MD. Both times, I just showed up, without an appointment, also.

In the first one, it was not repairable, in the shoulder. They put on a new tire, and only charged me $279 total, for the tire, the mounting, and the Balancing. If you check the price of the Tesla rated tire on Tire Rack, you'll see I got a great deal from the Service Center.

The 2nd WAS repairable, and they did a patch and plug for $85. Haven't had an issue with it since, about 7 months.

Both times, my wait was less than an hour.

I guess it matters WHICH SC you go to...
As @Pianewman said, if you take it to America’s Tires, Discount Tire Warehouse or any of the chain tire places, they plug for free. If you took it to a mom & pop tire center it would be $20-$25 max.
Tesla SC, just like any other car brand’s service center charges top dollar for labor. If they’re going to waste their time plugging tires, they’re going to make it with their time.