Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Punctured tire repair, tire out of stock - advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trip McNealy: " I summoned Roadside Assistance to come to my house this morning to pick it up and take it to my Tesla to the local Service Center."

I read this to mean that he sent his wheel/tire to the SC, not the car? Am I wrong?

No, I sent the whole car. I [embarrassingly] don't have jack stands at my house (nor do neighbors) otherwise I would have jacked up my car and took the tire to a Mavis Tire or STS to attempt repair of the tire BUT judging by the puncture size and location I knew the tire would probably be unrepairable. So before getting roadside I went online to check inventory and not a single shop had the stock Goodyear so I figured my car is relatively new so just take advantage of Tesla's services at that point.

As @Pianewman said, if you take it to America’s Tires, Discount Tire Warehouse or any of the chain tire places, they plug for free. If you took it to a mom & pop tire center it would be $20-$25 max.
Tesla SC, just like any other car brand’s service center charges top dollar for labor. If they’re going to waste their time plugging tires, they’re going to make it with their time.

I was simply pointing out that they don't ONLY replace tires.

And my local Discount Tire does not plug and patch for free. They charge $59.

For those that have to replace just one tire due to a puncture, I've had pretty good luck getting onesie used tires from eBay. You can get the exact brand and size and even get the exact tread depth that the other side has (usually for a pretty good price). Then you'll end up with a matched pair. fyi, the new Tesla software will throw an alarm if the tread on your tires are mismatched side to side - that's why you want to match the tread depth if you can. Then take the "new tire" from eBay and your wheel with the punctured tire to a local tire store and have them mount and balance the new tire for a few bucks...

Reactions: Trip McNealy
There has been a Tesla price increase for the Tesla Model 3/Model Y tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) bluetooth sensor. Tesla has increased the unit price for the TPMS sensor by ~27%. The old unit price was $75, now $95 US per sensor.

There has been a Tesla price increase for the Tesla Model 3/Model Y tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) bluetooth sensor. Tesla has increased the unit price for the TPMS sensor by ~27%. The old unit price was $75, now $95 US per sensor.
I know nothing so I ask
Do we have to use TPMS (bluetooth) sensor from Tesla?
Do we know if Costco tire center would have "similar" thing? I use TPMS from Costco for my Lexus 2015 CT200h and 2007 RAV4, unless the one from Tesla is designed to only talk to Tesla software, which could be the case

I know nothing so I ask
Do we have to use TPMS (bluetooth) sensor from Tesla?
Do we know if Costco tire center would have "similar" thing? I use TPMS from Costco for my Lexus 2015 CT200h and 2007 RAV4, unless the one from Tesla is designed to only talk to Tesla software, which could be the case
Tesla is the only source of the TPMS sensors for the Tesla Model 3, Model Y. Some online tire suppliers such as Tirerack.com stock, sell the Tesla TPMS sensors.

Tsportline sells OEM compatible TPMS sensors...cheaper on eBAY
for TPMS I probably would not trust buying from fleaBay, granted I buy a lot of thing from eBay but "fake" items can't hurt me like golf clubs, tennis grips, mubflaps etc... I would not buy from Amazon either, fake items from Amazon as well, OK but not for essential items

I would be surprised if Costco won't eventually carry this for Tesla because they carry items for all makes and models.
On the side note: I am ready to order 4 Michelin CC2 for my 2015 Lexus CT200h , wonderful car getting 42 mpg . CC2 will be my 'pilot" program for future MYLR when I need them, BUT I have to get the car first hahahahaha

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
for TPMS I probably would not trust buying from fleaBay, granted I buy a lot of thing from eBay but "fake" items can't hurt me like golf clubs, tennis grips, mubflaps etc... I would not buy from Amazon either, fake items from Amazon as well, OK but not for essential items

I would be surprised if Costco won't eventually carry this for Tesla because they carry items for all makes and models.
On the side note: I am ready to order 4 Michelin CC2 for my 2015 Lexus CT200h , wonderful car getting 42 mpg . CC2 will be my 'pilot" program for future MYLR when I need them, BUT I have to get the car first hahahahaha
They’re not fake items, they’re sold by Tsportline on eBay. If you trust them with your wheels, I’m sure their TPMS can’t be any more dangerous.

They’re not fake items, they’re sold by Tsportline on eBay. If you trust them with your wheels, I’m sure their TPMS can’t be any more dangerous.
If U trust TPMS from fleaBay then more power to U

Why not buy directly from Tsportline to be sure?
I would buy directly from Tesla for a $60K car which replace every 10 yrs?
or I would buy from Costco if they have those for Tesla

If U trust TPMS from fleaBay then more power to U

Why not buy directly from Tsportline to be sure?
I would buy directly from Tesla for a $60K car which replace every 10 yrs?
or I would buy from Costco if they have those for Tesla
You are buying directly from Tsportline, just via their eBay listing instead of their website.
Companies have .com stores and eBay stores. A lot of time the eBay store prices are cheaper than their .com prices.
Either way you buy, it’s still coming from the same reputable company.