TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Punctured tire

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by nleggatt, Dec 27, 2014.

1. nleggatt

nleggatt Member

So I have winter tires on an apparently have a slow but steady leak on my tire... Not sure where/what from but I don't see any obvious objects punctures in the tire

Questions

A) can these winter tires be patched (I'm on a standard 60 and whatever winter tires the tesla comes with

B) can I just replace the two back tires or do I have to replace them all??

2. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

Caveat: These are MY answers to your questions. Others will definitely NOT agree and that is their right.

Answer A: It depends on where the leak is occurring. One cannot (I probably should say "should not") plug/patch a leak that exists too close to the sidewall of a tire. I personally have driven thousands of additional miles on a plugged tire, even those I have personally plugged with a kit.

Answer B: In my opinion this largely depends on current wear. Obviously if your car has only 1,000 miles you can replace a single tire and not a pair. (Assuming you are replacing with the same make/model tire). If, however you are at a greater mileage--let's say plus/minus 20K--you would want to replace the pair (at a minimum).

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Chipper has it right. Because tire manufacturers no longer supply sidewall patches, only the tread area can be patched. If the tires are substantially worn, it's best to replace all four (keeping the others for spares).

Although modern plugs will seal a tire just fine, if you don't demount the tire and inspect for damage to the interior, you may be in for an unpleasant surprise later on. I's very common for an object that penetrates the tread to scratch the interior sidewall. Eventually this will cause the carcass cords to weaken. So plug the tire to get you going but at the first opportunity have the tire demounted and inspected because a sudden deflation a few months later is not anyone's idea of fun.

Note that some places will only plug the tire without demounting and inspecting. Just say "Thank you", and go somewhere else to get a proper inspection done.

4. patn

patn Member

I had a slow leak recently from the tire valve stem recently. That was an easy fix (it can be removed and replaced).

You can find the leak by applying some soapy water to the tire.

Pat

5. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

On high speed rated tires, most shops will NOT patch or plug the tire.
    That said, I did have a high speed tire hot patched on the inside for a small puncture in the tread area.
    This was done with an oval patch after the tire was unmounted, and the inside area was roughed up with a rasp.
    Then adhesive was applied and ignited and the patch was installed after the flames were blown out.
    A large oval lead weight was applied for a few minutes to the patch inside the tire.

Tire was remounted and rebalanced after a tank test at high PSI.

Tire was sound and eventually replaced due to normal wear.
    This was on a Supra Twin Turbo.

6. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

tire patch - (noun): A device used to get you to the next shop that can replace your tire. Synonym: tire plug

7. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

Take a change on tires when we can go the speeds we can? NOT. Take it to a reputable tire shop and have it fixed correctly and legally. Don't mess with this risk. The consequences are too great. Plug or replace per discussion. Sidewall or tread. Just do it right.

8. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Interesting, I have a very slow leak on a tire as well, and after unmounting and going over it with soapy water as well I think I also have a valve-stem leak in the OEM 19" rims...

9. tga

tga Active Member

I have no qualms about running a tire with an (inside) patch until the tread wears out.

I know several people with patches on the inside of their Hoosier race tires, who routinely exceed 175mph on them. I figure, if it's good enough for their race tires, it's good enough for my street tires.

10. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

#10 Gizmotoy, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    That's pretty frightening. Technically a patched tire is only good for highway speeds. They lose their speed rating once it's been patched. I had to swap out my damaged tire for a new one when I hit Laguna Seca a few months ago. I can't imagine having a blowout at 175mph if the plug fails (and with the tires nice and hot, it just might). *shudders*

For typical usage in a daily-driven car, and inside patch should be just fine.

11. tga

tga Active Member

Yeah, I thought it was odd when I first heard it. Personally, I wouldn't take a chance with a track tire; I've seen enough bent sheet metal (and bent a little myself) to know better.

But to the original point, on a street tire on a daily driver, no issues on my end.