Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Punish Customers for Buying New Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it seem fair to remove customers from the full FSD beta when they change to a new vehicle? After being assured by Tesla that this wouldn’t happen, they now say I have to get back in the queue. Seems somewhat antagonistic toward loyal customers.

Punish and antagonize are an interesting choice of words. I don’t think either of those things are intended, and this is more a function of how the program is currently set up.

Unfortunately for people in similar situations, FSD Beta is enabled for the car, not the driver. Fortunately, Tesla is at a point where they’re accepting most people with good safety scores, so you should be back in the program pretty quickly.

Last edited:
It's easier to think of it as an option, or higher trim on a car. There are many cars out there with some basic ADAS systems you can get on higher trims with additional options - like adaptive cruise control with lane keeping. Those stay with the car when you sell it, you can't transfer the ADAS features.

However, if you have a subscription, you can transfer it to a new car - like a subscription to Sirius XM from one car can transfer to another.

…assured by Tesla that this wouldn’t happen…
Where did Tesla ever tell you this? All communication from Tesla I’ve seen regarding FSD beta is exactly the opposite.

We just got another Tesla. We didn’t expect FSD beta to magically appear on it.

We aren’t entitled to it on our first car either. It’s a limited early access program that cars are enrolled into per their discretion. It’s not by driver, nor is it by car purchaser.

Yeah, but having it (FSD Beta) on a car you traded in, paying for FSD on your new car and not having FSD beta transfer over is a crock of $hit, imo. I’m in this boat at the moment. For all the not so great things the beta does, I miss it, and when I had it, I appreciated it. I welcome it back.. some day/month/year.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Yes, many have complained that FSD Capability package isn’t transferable from one car to another. We would love to as well, since we don’t really need FSD beta in the old Tesla but would rather have it in the new one. But oh well it is what it is and I’ll jump through the hoops again to get it on the new car.

Punish and antagonize is an interesting choice of words. I don’t think either of those things are intended, and this is more a function of how the program is currently set up.

Unfortunately for people in similar situations, FSD Beta is enabled for the car, not the driver. Fortunately, Tesla is at a point where they’re accepting most people with good safety scores, so you should be back in the program pretty quickly.
Two Tesla salespeople told me the FSD Beta was attached to my profile and would therefore appear on the new car (for which I also paid for FSD again). To be fair, I don't think some of the salespeople have the correct information. On the prior car, I was actively using full FSD Beta for probably 90% of the time and doing frequent reporting, so I was really into that rhythm. My safety score was 99-100% so doing it again isn't impossible, but as has been pointed out in other places in this forum, working toward a high score is a PITA and unpredictable in terms of when it will result in getting back into the program. But I really do appreciate the knowledgeable comments offered in this thread!

Reactions: pilotSteve
...After being assured by Tesla that this wouldn’t happen...
Where's the link to that assurance?

It doesn't assure that on its webpage:

"What happens to my Safety Score if I sell my vehicle?
If the vehicle ownership changes, the Safety Score data previously collected will not be used for the vehicle under the new owner, nor will it be used for a new Tesla vehicle you purchase."

Reactions: MP3Mike
Where's the link to that assurance?

It doesn't assure that on its webpage:

"What happens to my Safety Score if I sell my vehicle?
If the vehicle ownership changes, the Safety Score data previously collected will not be used for the vehicle under the new owner, nor will it be used for a new Tesla vehicle you purchase."
Very helpful information. I missed that, but no one I spoke to at Tesla could direct me to that documentation, even a support person. Thank you.

I wish there would be less misinformation in Tesla. Their workers need to take a quiz each time there's a new policy that affects customers.
Its the standard operation for someone working in customer service though.
They've been beaten down by so many unrealistic customer expectations that they learn to just tell the Karen/customer what they want to hear.