Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PUP Tow - some suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I had a 200mile roundtrip today towing the smallest U-haul trailer, and learned a few things to share with others:

- Fully charged to 277 miles before heading out. I got down to around 50 miles remaining after 150 miles which was surprisingly bad doing a steady 65mph. First 100 miles was with an empty trailer and the whole route was completely flat. The load added about another 200lbs.

- Really can't get into a regular Supercharger location. I passed a few regular stalls where the trailer would be hanging out into the roadway alot. I got lucky as the Supercharger I used was completely empty and I was able to pull up across 4 of the dozen stalls.

- The panel covering the tow is a $%#% to get off. Luckily I'd done this before and cut a bunch of the tabs off which makes it much easier.

- You'll need a circular-to-4 pin flat adapter for the lights hookup.

- A regular size 2in hitch receiver doesn't protrude very far from the trim on the car. Was OK but if you're buying a receiver I'd suggest getting an extended length version to provide better clearance when turning.

- The safety chains are a %$#% to install. The U-Haul guy was on the floor for a while cursing and ended up looping them over the beam as they were too big to go through the tow holes either side of the hitch. Also the chains then rest on the bumper trim. I wrapped a cloth round them to stop the trim getting scuffed during the trip.

- Towing was completely fine. No drama and the car handled great. I set the cruise (autosteer is disabled) and pulled up the rear camera which gives a perfect view of the trailer all the time.

Hope this helps someone

20201215_124442.jpg
20201215_140557.jpg

Thank you for posting! There isn't a ton of data out there about towing and most I've seen are with the LR model. So, every little bit of new data helps! I'll have an MYP before the end of the year and I'll be towing dirt bikes in a 6x12 enclosed, single axle utility trailer. Very interested to figure out the range with my setup.

I tow a NuCamp Tab 320 Outback Version. I have done a 500+ miles trip in some headwinds from Reno NV to Santa Barbara, CA. Basically even at 60 mph it cuts my range by 50%. Other than the range hit, I barely notice the trailer is there. During the trip there was only one time I had to unhook the trailer to charge and that was in Reno. All the other times I was able to use the head-in, the pull though, or black several chargers side ways.

IMG_4199.jpeg
IMG_4164.jpeg

IMG_5490.jpg
IMG_5491.jpg
IMG_5492.jpg

Here is my tow setup.

I needed an adjustable ball height, depending on what I am pulling/towing and I also needed 1-7/8" and 2" balls so I have the flip/flop ball mount.

The MYP is also on the UPP 1" moderate drop springs, so I'm probably about 2" lower than a LR MY - but I have no evidence for that yet.

The attached picts show the draw bar height - and then also my ball height.

Reactions: SeattleSteve
@Strikezone-38, I did the same w/ a receiver extension as well, but then my drag/safety chains didn't reach... and I didn't like having two hitch pins and a super loose connection, so I had a local shop modify my draw bar set up.

Also - if you use a receiver extender - that also changes the load capacity on the tongue as you already mentioned above.