Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PUP Without Liftgate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ordered last week, still have time to change:

I'm having trouble justifying 3500 for a few minor cosmetic tweaks and Bioweapon Defense Mode ($750 if they ever release retroactive HEPA for Model S?).

Am I missing something? How much of a difference does the PUP offer? Convince me!

Thanks in advance.

I had this inner argument of whether to get the PUP or not. I decided it wasnt worth it. The only thing I wanted was the trunk opener and it wasnt worth 3500 to me.

I did find an aftermarket kit. Check my signature for the video. I am very happy with it

I also upgraded the interior lights and added the missing puddle lights to my car. The space is there, you just need to cut the leather (less than a minute) to open it up. The lights I used are abstract ocean

I spent about $450 total on the upgrades. I plan on doing the led lights in the door handles soon. Not a big deal for me, just a fun project for me to do.

The led light upgrades and the trunk opener are a must. I assure you! Big difference in lighting and I cant live without that trunk opener.

If you drive in remote places and/or have to park in tight spaces especially in the dark, the cornering lights are very handy guages of your surroudings. Gimmicky for some, but very useful for me. Clean air.......well you dont know what you've got til its gone. And I live on the coast, so May gray and June gloom put the fog lights to work. The extra finishes are OK, but not a must have.

Reactions: croman
I'm stoked for the price drop for the 75, but in a weird way I'm disappointed that the liftgate is standard nowo_O - I wanted the lighting/additional features but I just can't justify $3,500 for a few LED lights and a $750 biodefense/HEPA system.

You can add most of the "missing" lights yourself with Abstract Ocean's bulbs (and upgrade the ones you do get while you're at it). The wiring is in place, you just have to do a little work. Plenty of guides on AO's site and on here.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
You can add most of the "missing" lights yourself with Abstract Ocean's bulbs (and upgrade the ones you do get while you're at it). The wiring is in place, you just have to do a little work. Plenty of guides on AO's site and on here.
I did the upgrades. The lights you get from them are much better than the one Tesla gives. Changed them all out within a few minutes.

I even installed the puddle lights. Used an exacto knife and cut the leather (youll feel the opening underneath the leather). I used a long tool and grabbed the wire thats hanging inside. Each door took less than 5 minutes. The lights did cost me about $100 but they were well worth it. I can actually see inside my trunk when its open!

• Informative
Reactions: DIL and byeLT4
I got the PUP solely for the liftgate (as evidenced by the fact that my previous 2 cars did not have PUP, that was when liftgate was not part of it). The lighted handles are cool, but not worth $3,500. The lights in the trunk suck pretty bad, the trunk with PUP still very dark, so I added $10 worth of LED lights and 30 minutes of work and now it's nice and bright on both cars, one with and without PUP - details in this post, picture below.

TeslaTrunkLights.png

All that said, I have no complaints or refund demands like some people, I knew what I was buying and Tesla delivered on what I paid for (and yes, I didn't buy EAP or FSD so I can say that, ok maybe except for rain sensing wipers ;)). As is now, I would seriously think PUP is with about $1,500, to me at least. If I was buying today, I would skip it, but that's just me, worth is always relative - "worth to whom".

Count me as another who bought PUP for the liftgate. I'm surprised the PUP is still $3500. Wouldn't surprise me if they reduced that price. I wouldn't pay $1000 for it now.

I've never kicked on Bio-defense except to see how to do it. Probably never will.

Personally, I think it would simplify Tesla's life to get rid of Bio-defense, make the PUP lighting standard, and eliminate PUP. I would rather have the bigger frunk anyway. Those with RWD could then have the original frunk which was quite useful.

I was surprised to see PUP stay at $3,500 after the power liftgate went standard. So, I cannot convince you one way or another about the value of PUP, but I can run down quickly what's left of PUP--

HEPA filter: Very nice if you suffer from seasonal allergies. Many folks in my area have had it very bad, this Spring, but I've actually noticed a difference. Now, I care very little about biodefense mode. If it ever has real value to me, I've got bigger problems.

Charcoal filters: Nice. I've noticed a difference when passing through certain areas that are reliably stinky (one particular plant, for sure), but I don't know how much real value there is beyond that.

Turning lights: Really not all that great, but better than nothing.

LED Fog lights: Eh. I do want fog lights, though these are nothing too special.

Interior: The leather is very nice, really. The Alcantera stuff is fine. The lighting is . . . something I wouldn't miss.

Lighted door handles: Cool, but that's about it.

Phone dock: Absolutely worthless if you ever want to do anything with your phone while in the car and have the phone plugged in at the same time.

With the liftgate, I checked PUP without hesitation. Without it, I might still do it while holding my nose, but I might not.

Thanks for all the input!

Today's my last day, and I've been working hard this last week to justify this package. Truth is, I would love the HEPA Filter and the added polish, but I don't think I can bring myself to do it. I was happy to spend the money when the liftgate was included, and I'd be happy now if the package offered just a little more practical benefit. Oh well, maybe I'll cave in the 11th hour.

I love the air filtration and the lights but I'd probably have opted to save the $3500 too. The trunk is really useful but the lights and especially the added safety of adaptive headlights was what made me open my wallet. Since getting it I've discovered how awesome the handle lights, interior lighting and added leather are but $3500 is a big chunk of change.