Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchase an used 2020 Model X long range plus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Folks,

I have two main question today.

1. I am in debate of buying a used 2020 model X long range plus with 60k milage or a new model Y performance for 70k.
2. is it worth paying 70k for a used 2020 model X long range plus with 60k mils on it. (reason for high milage, family live middle of no where, any travel to town will be around 40miles+ one way.) it can still charge up to 280-300 when charged at 80%.

They are around the same price and same range but I dunno is it worth paying 70k for a used model X

Model X Spec: 6 seat, long range plus, no FDS, basic package, drive and battery warranty expire in 2028
Pros: Bigger car, more comfy for my family of 4, might need to buy 4 years extended warranty for 6300$( not sure if is worth it)
cons: look dated on the inside, high milage and no more 50k warranty

Model Y performance: will switch out the rim to 19 inch so it can get around 320 range
Newer tech, big enough for family of 4, under warranty
Cons: same size as my other Mini suv(2020NX) high in price for a Model Y

Please help me or vote on if I should go for the Y or the X

I have a 2022 MYP and just purchased a family members 2019 Raven X long range.
If you don't need the space, the Y is a much better car. Yeah, the X is going to be more comfortable for longer distance driving, but everything about its interior feels outdated and the MCU is SO slow compared to the Ryzen powered unit on the Model Y, it's also slower than my 3 which was still intel. One thing not often mentioned is how bad the headlights are on the X. Not sure why but they are worse than my Model 3 (2018) and definitely worse than the new matrix lights on the Y.

One of the biggest concerns I have for the X is the longevity. The car is so complicated and everything is so expensive to fix. I was fortunate enough to take ownership before the warranty was up and have the extended warranty purchased. I honestly don't think I will keep the x after the warranty is up. My 3 was basically perfect up until it was totalled at 97k and I have no reason to believe the Y won't be just as reliable. The X has too many "fancy" moving parts that are just prone for failure IMHO.

If it wasn't for the deal I got from my family member I would not have even considered buying a used X.

I have a 2022 MYP and just purchased a family members 2019 Raven X long range.
If you don't need the space, the Y is a much better car. Yeah, the X is going to be more comfortable for longer distance driving, but everything about its interior feels outdated and the MCU is SO slow compared to the Ryzen powered unit on the Model Y, it's also slower than my 3 which was still intel. One thing not often mentioned is how bad the headlights are on the X. Not sure why but they are worse than my Model 3 (2018) and definitely worse than the new matrix lights on the Y.

One of the biggest concerns I have for the X is the longevity. The car is so complicated and everything is so expensive to fix. I was fortunate enough to take ownership before the warranty was up and have the extended warranty purchased. I honestly don't think I will keep the x after the warranty is up. My 3 was basically perfect up until it was totalled at 97k and I have no reason to believe the Y won't be just as reliable. The X has too many "fancy" moving parts that are just prone for failure IMHO.

If it wasn't for the deal I got from my family member I would not have even considered buying a used X.
but would you consider 70k for a 60k milage model X a deal?

I bought our X75D at a bad time it seems (late August '22) and everything going wrong is out of warranty. $70k for a 2017 MX (34k miles) seems to have been a bad investment and we will have to live with it as it's turned out to be impossible to sell. I'm not going to eat another $20k to sell the thing.

At least the one you have listed is much newer and with much better range. The range on ours is about 150 miles and I'm a very conservative driver, ugh.

The only good thing is that I didn't buy the 2019 MX from CarMax for $93k (before tax) that they were selling at the same time. I thought $70k was a good deal in comparison... sigh

Reactions: Lorl61
One of the biggest concerns I have for the X is the longevity. The car is so complicated and everything is so expensive to fix... The X has too many "fancy" moving parts that are just prone for failure IMHO.
The Falcon Wing Doors alone are an albatross at best. They are fun for party tricks, but beyond that I really, really wish the MX had regular rear doors... and it's kinda hard to put a roof rack on an MX, lol.

I have owned both cars. The Model Y is more practical but the ride is harsher (perhaps less so with the new suspension). I have 19" wheels on my MYP and it does help, also makes the steering more direct.
The LRP Xs are rock solid build wise as are the FWDs and the ride is silky smooth. Really depends on your use cases. For me: I prefer the X but have to admit the Y is more useful in most day-to-day situations if you have to haul stuff or fold seats.

I have owned both cars. The Model Y is more practical but the ride is harsher (perhaps less so with the new suspension). I have 19" wheels on my MYP and it does help, also makes the steering more direct.
The LRP Xs are rock solid build wise as are the FWDs and the ride is silky smooth. Really depends on your use cases. For me: I prefer the X but have to admit the Y is more useful in most day-to-day situations if you have to haul stuff or fold seats.
Is the LRP X FWDs and not AWD?

Like asking if a Sports car or a Pickup Truck is better.

Model Y is the volume leader. A pretty normal car (taking EV out of it) with a nimble, but firm ride. Does everything pretty well, but they are everywhere.

Model X (especially Raven) is a more upscale car, with sophisticated air suspension. Large for a city car, but right at home in the suburbs or countryside.

Both are very reliable, and have waiting lines to purchase new.

5 minute ride in each of them will tell most buyers which is the car for them.

Most owners will claim the car they purchased will be the "better car"

The new and used car markets are in transition right now. Difficult to tell which will hold their value best.
Nice thing about buying used is that you can look for a "deal".

I’m tracking used model x raven performance or lr as well. Prices are plummeting but my 2022 myp is also losing considerable value. I could have sold mine for $75K in may easily. Now it’s $65k on a good day but the x is down $15k-$20k easily. I paid $65k plus $1k for tow so not much of a loss yet for me.

I think all cars are going down but the y will be less. More expensive cars have more to lose.

I’m holding out for a really good deal. Like a smoking deal.

You can buy model s plaids in the upper $90’s now. Hang tight boys. There will be better deals to have. Next .5% rate hike coming soon won’t help the market at all.

Reactions: vishnumrao
Couple of things to consider. (I have a 2022 MYP)

MYP you can use your phone as a key. X requires a fob
No matrix lights on X, which are incredible. (I used to do retrofits back in the day so well versed in lighting)
Older and slower chip in X than newer Ryzen
Y Is always fast, no need to warm the battery for ludicrous

Y is a rougher ride, by a lot. You cant compete with air suspension on the X.
Smaller than X.
Interior quality is a lot worse than X
No gauge cluster

As far as interior quietness. My 22Yp is decently quiet. I drove a 2018 X today and it was quite loud. It had crappy tires. X should be quieter....

I cant decide if I want to go for a 2020 Raven Performance or not. I would want one with under 30,000 miles in the upper $70's. Auction prices are about there but retail you can find in the low to mid $80's. If the market keeps going down like this then it should be there in a month or two. Mid $70's might be attainable by Spring or maybe sooner.

Is there any online tracker that monitors prices and puts out some sort of a graph or something like that?

I think there is pricing variations in all Tesla vehicles, as some seem to have EAP or FSD in them but many do not. But sometimes people are listing no EAP , no FSD vehicles for same price as the EAP, FSD enabled vehicles.

Couple of things to consider. (I have a 2022 MYP)

MYP you can use your phone as a key. X requires a fob
No matrix lights on X, which are incredible. (I used to do retrofits back in the day so well versed in lighting)
Older and slower chip in X than newer Ryzen
Y Is always fast, no need to warm the battery for ludicrous

Y is a rougher ride, by a lot. You cant compete with air suspension on the X.
Smaller than X.
Interior quality is a lot worse than X
No gauge cluster

As far as interior quietness. My 22Yp is decently quiet. I drove a 2018 X today and it was quite loud. It had crappy tires. X should be quieter....

I cant decide if I want to go for a 2020 Raven Performance or not. I would want one with under 30,000 miles in the upper $70's. Auction prices are about there but retail you can find in the low to mid $80's. If the market keeps going down like this then it should be there in a month or two. Mid $70's might be attainable by Spring or maybe sooner.

Same with the X

I bought our X75D at a bad time it seems (late August '22) and everything going wrong is out of warranty. $70k for a 2017 MX (34k miles) seems to have been a bad investment and we will have to live with it as it's turned out to be impossible to sell. I'm not going to eat another $20k to sell the thing.

At least the one you have listed is much newer and with much better range. The range on ours is about 150 miles and I'm a very conservative driver, ugh.

The only good thing is that I didn't buy the 2019 MX from CarMax for $93k (before tax) that they were selling at the same time. I thought $70k was a good deal in comparison... sigh

Did you buy an aftermarket warranty?

I used to have a 2020 Model X Long Range Plus.
Was given a model 3 loaner while my X was in getting half shafts done. (Def look this up - its an X thing)
Was really surprised to enjoy driving the 3 a LOT and going back to my X felt like an old man car (Comfy/floaty/old)
So now I have a 2022 Y performance & it’s great - almost as fun to drive as the 3 and still lots of room for kids & all the stuff.

Though I do miss the X’s HUGE windshield & the automatic opening/closing driver door & if you need a 3rd row it’s easy to access thanks to the FWDoors plus quite roomy in 6 seater configuration.
ps I had zero issues with the FWDoors & had kids in/out constantly.

If you can - test drive each & you’ll know right away which you prefer. They are very different styles.