Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchase Extended Warranty or Not???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased my 2018 MS 100D on December 21, 2018. So, if I understand this correctly, I have until May 21, 2019 to purchase the Tesla extended warranty at a $500 savings.

I don't want to throw away money, but I also don't want my MS to turn into a money pit after 50,000 miles. I've been very happy with Tesla service thus far (Atlanta area), and I do plan to keep the car long term.

Do most folks buy the extended warranty, or do they take the risk of significant repairs on their dime (motors, MCU, etc.) after the original 50,000 mile warranty expires???

Your input is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks for your input

By now you should realize that repairs done by Tesla can be costly.

A flat tire would cost about $50 in Tesla but many local tire store would do it for free.

An onboard charger could cost more than $2,000 by Tesla but D-I-Y would cost about $20...

My past 2012 Model S was very reliable and I had 3 repairs done but if I didn't have ESA, I wouldn't willing to do it:

1) Gen1 Mobile Connector: Tesla inspected the contacts and preemptively replaced the kit for fear of fire due to overheat. New kit would cost about $500.

2) Tesla inspected and found my 17" screen started to have bubbles and replaced both the screen and its computer. It's about $4,000 without ESA

3) No heat for cold nights (never snows in my region) so Tesla replaced it. It's about $4,500 without ESA

They did not charge me $200 for each case although it's very clear that there's a $200 deductible for each visit. I am not sure they'll that generous in future.

All the repairs cost about $9,000 which paid out handsomely over the amount that I invested in ESA.

It's just a random case but what happened to me doesn't mean your car could have 3 repairs too!

• Informative
Reactions: arcus
By now you should realize that repairs done by Tesla can be costly.

A flat tire would cost about $50 in Tesla but many local tire store would do it for free.

An onboard charger could cost more than $2,000 by Tesla but D-I-Y would cost about $20...

My past 2012 Model S was very reliable and I had 3 repairs done but if I didn't have ESA, I wouldn't willing to do it:

1) Gen1 Mobile Connector: Tesla inspected the contacts and preemptively replaced the kit for fear of fire due to overheat. New kit would cost about $500.

2) Tesla inspected and found my 17" screen started to have bubbles and replaced both the screen and its computer. It's about $4,000 without ESA

3) No heat for cold nights (never snows in my region) so Tesla replaced it. It's about $4,500 without ESA

They did not charge me $200 for each case although it's very clear that there's a $200 deductible for each visit. I am not sure they'll that generous in future.

All the repairs cost about $9,000 which paid out handsomely over the amount that I invested in ESA.

It's just a random case but what happened to me doesn't mean your car could have 3 repairs too!

Very helpful, thanks!

I purchased my 2018 MS 100D on December 21, 2018. So, if I understand this correctly, I have until May 21, 2019 to purchase the Tesla extended warranty at a $500 savings.

I don't want to throw away money, but I also don't want my MS to turn into a money pit after 50,000 miles. I've been very happy with Tesla service thus far (Atlanta area), and I do plan to keep the car long term.

Do most folks buy the extended warranty, or do they take the risk of significant repairs on their dime (motors, MCU, etc.) after the original 50,000 mile warranty expires???

Your input is greatly appreciated :)
You mentioned motors. They are covered by the 8 years 100,000 mile warranty along with the battery and a few other components. That's not saying the ESA isn't worthwhile but I think I would pass on the $500 and make the decision at the end of the bumper to bumper warranty. A lot can happen between now and then. There is also another player offering an ESA that could be worth considering. I'll be looking into them when the warranty on my December 2016 car reaches end of warranty.

You mentioned motors. They are covered by the 8 years 100,000 mile warranty along with the battery and a few other components. That's not saying the ESA isn't worthwhile but I think I would pass on the $500 and make the decision at the end of the bumper to bumper warranty. A lot can happen between now and then. There is also another player offering an ESA that could be worth considering. I'll be looking into them when the warranty on my December 2016 car reaches end of warranty.

I did not realize the motors are covered by the 100,000 mile 8-yr warranty. Thanks

There was another thread recently on the same subject. I was in the same boat a few months ago, and decided to get it. Still not sure if it will be a good investment or not, and I typically don't buy extended warranties. But I've had some problems already, and get a feeling my ownership experience will not be like my previous Lexus. And maybe I've read too many horror stories on these forums! It just feels like a decent insurance policy against ending up with a money pit. Plus it covers roadside assistance; I think I trust Tesla knowing how to tow / flatbed my car rather than AAA or some other service.

On the downside, there's a lot of stuff it does not cover, like squeaks, rattles, trim, carpet, upholstery, water leaks, and glass. It also does not cover the mobile connector, so maybe that's new as the poster above got his covered. Read it thoroughly before you buy:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...xtended_Service_Agreement_United_States_0.pdf

As a counterpoint, at 77k miles, my out of warranty repair costs have been $0.

Very true!

Statistically, most do not make an Extended Warranty Claim or otherwise, Tesla would go belly up.

That means for those who do not buy an Extended Warranty, the odds are in your favor and only unlucky few who will have to pay a lot for repairs.

Be careful with this. I had the same plan originally. When Tesla says 180 days they mean 180 days not 6 months. Your drop dead date for the discount is actually June 19, 2019 not the 21st. I waited until a couple of days before the discount expiration and was denied. I still haven't purchased it because it makes no difference now until I get to the 4 year mark.

Be careful with this. I had the same plan originally. When Tesla says 180 days they mean 180 days not 6 months. Your drop dead date for the discount is actually June 19, 2019 not the 21st. I waited until a couple of days before the discount expiration and was denied. I still haven't purchased it because it makes no difference now until I get to the 4 year mark.

Wow, good to know! Thanks

There was another thread recently on the same subject. I was in the same boat a few months ago, and decided to get it. Still not sure if it will be a good investment or not, and I typically don't buy extended warranties. But I've had some problems already, and get a feeling my ownership experience will not be like my previous Lexus. And maybe I've read too many horror stories on these forums! It just feels like a decent insurance policy against ending up with a money pit. Plus it covers roadside assistance; I think I trust Tesla knowing how to tow / flatbed my car rather than AAA or some other service.

On the downside, there's a lot of stuff it does not cover, like squeaks, rattles, trim, carpet, upholstery, water leaks, and glass. It also does not cover the mobile connector, so maybe that's new as the poster above got his covered. Read it thoroughly before you buy:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...xtended_Service_Agreement_United_States_0.pdf

Thanks!

I've never bought an extended warranty before (believe they are a waste of money). In the case of my Tesla, I did purchase it (and early to get the discounted price) because:

(a) I keep cars for ~8-10 years
(b) I saw the risk of high cost repairs (computers or whatever) potentially happening when car is out of warranty.

As a result, I bought it and am treating it as insurance against getting hit with a mult-thousand dollar repair bill. That was my the basis for my decision... I also liked the fact that, if I sell the car, I can get a refund on that so I viewed it as a low risk expenditure...

I've never bought an extended warranty before (believe they are a waste of money). In the case of my Tesla, I did purchase it (and early to get the discounted price) because:

(a) I keep cars for ~8-10 years
(b) I saw the risk of high cost repairs (computers or whatever) potentially happening when car is out of warranty.

As a result, I bought it and am treating it as insurance against getting hit with a mult-thousand dollar repair bill. That was my the basis for my decision... I also liked the fact that, if I sell the car, I can get a refund on that so I viewed it as a low risk expenditure...

So, if I sell my car before the extended warranty expires, the extended warranty does not go with the car???

2012 P85 - Got the warranty because car was so new at that point and fear of high cost of repairs. Had a lot of minor fixes early on, nothing major. Since going past std 4 yr warranty and into ESA it has paid for itself. Center screen bubble replacement, fan issue that required entire driver screen to be replaced, and sun roof mechanism replacement. Well worth it but I also got the early adopter price of $2400 for the plan.