Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchase FSD or hope for an Enhanced AP offering in 2021?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hell all,

New to the forum. Just placed an order for a new MY AWD LR. I didn’t opt for the FSD option due to the hefty price. Do you all think that Tesla might offer another limited time enhanced Autopilot option? I honestly think that would meet my needs more than the full FSD.

By the way, I did a few initial searches on this topic and didn’t see any posts that were recent. Don’t yell at me please:)

I personally am either waiting for EAP again or the subscription for FSD so that I can have it only when I would use it the most. Both options are much more affordable than outright purchasing FSD. There is also a chance (but this is just a guess on my part) that as FSD becomes more robust, they’ll include more features into the basic Auto Pilot.

[QUOTE="Afgdrummer, post: 5158373, member: 150136"...Do you all think that Tesla might offer another limited time enhanced Autopilot option?...[/QUOTE]

Lots of things could be possible but if we are not in Tesla's leadership team, I doubt there's not much we can find out about future promotions, offers and discounts.

Reactions: MattM24
My opinion only, I am not part of the Tesla leadership team. I don't think enhanced auto pilot will return. Much more likely is the subscription model (monthly payments) for FSD. Exception would be Tesla being close to some magical financial goal that a few million would allow them to achieve. If so, then EAP at $2k would make it easy for them to achieve that goal. Otherwise I think they will push towards the recurring revenue stream of monthly payments for FSD. Elon has mentioned that software is the key to continued profitability.

Reactions: ChadS
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Looks like several of us are in the same boat with regards to hoping Tesla offers EAP next year.

I tested the beta features of FSD and it was pretty cool but quickly became kind of scary. I’m sure they will continue to improve hence why it’s in beta.

It all depends on where you drive and how often you'd use FSD.
While I did get FSD, I rarely use it around town. I have issues with how it rushes up to stop signs and lights.
I'd prefer more coasting up to the lights since the car definitely know it's coming up soon.
I was out driving this evening and it does well at nights which can be a benefit on dark roads.
I did think this evening, that why it is fairly safe, it doesn't drive like a human would.
Then, naturally I saw another car run through a red light which I then thought, maybe that is a good thing.
It's nice on the highways but these days, not a lot of chances to hit the open roads.
When we can start doing road trips, I think that is when you would be most likely to use it.
If you can get FSD on a monthly subscription and turn it on or off depending on needs, then subscription might be a great value.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
If you want the latest and greatest while at the same time will keep the car for 10 years, then go for FSD. BUT, if you intend to upgrade and move on to a different car while hoping FSD will retain its value in resale market, then it's best to wait for EAP or subscription. FSD is NOT that popular or a must have feature in the used car market, buyers won't pay a premium for FSD so you'll likely lose a big chunk of 10k in resale.
Another thing to consider, FSD will likely go down in price IF Tesla intends to get into the Robo Taxi business. For people to wanting to share their car to join the robo taxi fleet, Tesla will need to entice people with a lower price instead of pushing people away. Now if Robo Taxi is just a pipe dream, then Elon Musk may keep his word and continue to raise FSD price. In the end, the single biggest question is how long do you plan to keep the car?

Reactions: ralfpeter
It all depends on where you drive and how often you'd use FSD.
While I did get FSD, I rarely use it around town. I have issues with how it rushes up to stop signs and lights.
I'd prefer more coasting up to the lights since the car definitely know it's coming up soon.
I was out driving this evening and it does well at nights which can be a benefit on dark roads.
I did think this evening, that why it is fairly safe, it doesn't drive like a human would.
Then, naturally I saw another car run through a red light which I then thought, maybe that is a good thing.
It's nice on the highways but these days, not a lot of chances to hit the open roads.
When we can start doing road trips, I think that is when you would be most likely to use it.
If you can get FSD on a monthly subscription and turn it on or off depending on needs, then subscription might be a great value.

great points.

If you want the latest and greatest while at the same time will keep the car for 10 years, then go for FSD. BUT, if you intend to upgrade and move on to a different car while hoping FSD will retain its value in resale market, then it's best to wait for EAP or subscription. FSD is NOT that popular or a must have feature in the used car market, buyers won't pay a premium for FSD so you'll likely lose a big chunk of 10k in resale.
Another thing to consider, FSD will likely go down in price IF Tesla intends to get into the Robo Taxi business. For people to wanting to share their car to join the robo taxi fleet, Tesla will need to entice people with a lower price instead of pushing people away. Now if Robo Taxi is just a pipe dream, then Elon Musk may keep his word and continue to raise FSD price. In the end, the single biggest question is how long do you plan to keep the car?

Makes sense. I plan to keep this car for a while. Not sure I would ever get into the robo taxi stuff.