Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchase process when using cashier's check to pay for vehicle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i am more convinced after reading posts here as well as the videos mentioned in this thread.

question - who should I ask the bank to make the cashier’s check to? Just “Tesla” or is there ”Inc.” or “Corp.” I have to add?
My sales advisor (whatever they call them) said to make it out to "Tesla Inc.". But when I went to the credit union to have the cashier check printed, they made it out to "Tesla". Sales advisor said that was fine, and they did accept the check at pick up time with no problem.

At my credit union, we just to go any teller to get a cashier's check. You'll tell them to make it payable to "Tesla Inc".

Reactions: julit0
One more question if you don’t mind ( I searched though not very extensively):

If I have a trade-in, I assume I have my bank draw up a cashier’s check with the amount deducting the trade-in amount quoted by Tesla, correct?

For example, if the total amount of the car is $67k and the trade-in is $20k, the cashier’s check should be $47k?

Also I understand from reading various post I should request for trade-in “after” I have an assigned VIN, right?

Thanks again.

I bought my first Model S with CASH. It was fun watching the Tesla guy sitting at his desk counting out "...20 thousand 200, 20 thousand 300, twenty thou...." Whatever, it made my day, and the folks at Tesla still remember it. Money is money. For variety, I wrote a check for my last Model 3.

Anecdotal, but: I picked mine up in Indiana May '21, I did not hand over the check until I was done reviewing the vehicle. They did not ask me to do so, either. They did ask me to hurry up with my review, though. Once complete, I did sign documentation and handed over the check.

I suppose if you wanted to be "maliciously compliant" you could take a picture of your cashier's check and purposefully leave out the routing numbers or black them out post process.

They seriously told you to hurry up with your review? I would be angry enough (depending on the advisor) to just walk and lose the non-refundable order fee at that point. $60k+ purchase and hurry up? Seriously?

In Michigan we can't do that on the day of delivery, had to be prepaid ahead of time. I opted for a wire transfer because the Tesla sales advisor made it sound like the car was on its way. Turns out it it was sitting somewhere (Chicago or Ohio) for a few weeks. I should have cancelled the M3LR order, lost the $250 deposit, and waited until now to order a 2023 M3P for $2,000 less. Haha.