Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchase process when using cashier's check to pay for vehicle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks. What's the purchase process when you want to pay with cashier's check instead of giving them access to your accounts?

Also, is there a thread that explains the delivery day process? I may be misunderstanding the videos I've watched, but it appears to me that you have to pay for the car and 'accept delivery' via the app before you're allowed to get into and examine the vehicle for defects. Am I getting that all wrong? Did any of you get to inspect the car before handing over the money?

Makes me nervous thinking about handing over $60K for something I've not had a chance to inspect.

Having your car open for inspection may not be possible at the busiest times. They will take care of all the paperwork and payment prior to providing you with the keys if you have touchless delivery.

Many have reported they have been able to gain access to their individual cars prior to it being purchased, but you can't 100% count on it.

Tesla has been frustrated by some that have rejected their cars for relatively minor imperfections.

There are tons of fake Cashiers Checks floating around. Easy to make a convincing Cashiers Check on a laser or inkjet printer. They will need to confirm good funds prior to you driving off.

Hey folks. What's the purchase process when you want to pay with cashier's check instead of giving them access to your accounts?

Also, is there a thread that explains the delivery day process? I may be misunderstanding the videos I've watched, but it appears to me that you have to pay for the car and 'accept delivery' via the app before you're allowed to get into and examine the vehicle for defects. Am I getting that all wrong? Did any of you get to inspect the car before handing over the money?

Makes me nervous thinking about handing over $60K for something I've not had a chance to inspect.

This depends on whether you are in a location (state) that allows tesla direct sales. If so, you can pay with a cashiers check and take it with you on delivery day. When you select "cash", they are not expecting you to show up with a metal briefcase with stacks of bills inside (lol.. making a joke of course but they are not expecting actual cash).

If you dont live in a state that allows direct tesla sales, that is different and you will need to pay first, and they deliver the car to you to get around "no direct sales" in those states.

Contact your delivery advisor for more details.

OP, I took delivery of my M3 SR+ a little over a month ago in Atlanta, GA. I was surprised about how little info Tesla had about the delivery process. I opted for the "Paid in Full" option and got awesome financing through my local bank. The bank issued a check that I gave to them. The reps gave me access to the car prior to handing over the check to start my inspection. I was not issued my temp plate until I went inside to officially "pay." Depending on your state, make sure you include all taxes. I purchased out of state so I only paid the vehicle value and handled taxes and registration in my home state. The check ended up being more than the final bill since I forgot to deduct the $250 reservation fee. The refund credit was issued back to my card on file with Tesla about 3 weeks later. Hope this helps!

OP, I took delivery of my M3 SR+ a little over a month ago in Atlanta, GA. I was surprised about how little info Tesla had about the delivery process. I opted for the "Paid in Full" option and got awesome financing through my local bank. The bank issued a check that I gave to them. The reps gave me access to the car prior to handing over the check to start my inspection. I was not issued my temp plate until I went inside to officially "pay." Depending on your state, make sure you include all taxes. I purchased out of state so I only paid the vehicle value and handled taxes and registration in my home state. The check ended up being more than the final bill since I forgot to deduct the $250 reservation fee. The refund credit was issued back to my card on file with Tesla about 3 weeks later. Hope this helps!
That helps a lot.
I never give direct access to my checking/savings account. Too many stories over the years of wrong or duplicate amounts being withdrawn, recurring payments you cant stop, etc., and then the never ending saga of trying to get your money back.

I hadn't thought about people who dont finance through Telsa, they obviously would be handing over a check from their bank/lender. I guess the videos I've seen all have people who pre-pay electronically and whiz bam boom in two clicks on the phone and they own a car they have never seen.

I'll have to search for more delivery day videos.

Thanks

Reactions: 45thParallel
Having your car open for inspection may not be possible at the busiest times. They will take care of all the paperwork and payment prior to providing you with the keys if you have touchless delivery.

Many have reported they have been able to gain access to their individual cars prior to it being purchased, but you can't 100% count on it.

Tesla has been frustrated by some that have rejected their cars for relatively minor imperfections.

There are tons of fake Cashiers Checks floating around. Easy to make a convincing Cashiers Check on a laser or inkjet printer. They will need to confirm good funds prior to you driving off.
None of this is true.

People reject vehicles for all manner of reasons. I hardly think the majority of people are doing it for “minor imperfections”. And even if they are, so what? The vehicles should be pristine upon delivery. I literally lol’d at “Tesla has been frustrated”. What about the buyers’ frustration?!

Paying with a cashiers check involves you handing them the check and driving off. There is no verification process performed.

None of this is true.

People reject vehicles for all manner of reasons. I hardly think the majority of people are doing it for “minor imperfections”. And even if they are, so what? The vehicles should be pristine upon delivery. I literally lol’d at “Tesla has been frustrated”. What about the buyers’ frustration?!

Paying with a cashiers check involves you handing them the check and driving off. There is no verification process performed.
I can confirm this is true. All the 3 times I've purchased a Tesla with a cashier's check, I simply just hand it over while completing my paperwork. There is no "confirm good funds before you drive off".

Reactions: NJEV-Don
Tesla wants me to send them a copy of the cashier check to their email before the pick up? did anyone have the same experience? this is in CA
Nope. Don't do it. I made videos Specifically for that reason so nobody potentially gets double charged for the car ever again. haha

You can also tell them you are not going to accept delivery until you inspect the car. THey are going to say no. Just say well my friend did it at another location without any issues. After I say that, they usually say ok, and open the car for you. I've tried it twice at the irvine parking center location.

See the screen shot from Tesla delivery. I will pick M3 up at the Fremont factory
I just picked my MYP on Sunday (1/30), paid via Cashier's Check. They never asked me to send them a copy of it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220203-203756.png
    Screenshot_20220203-203756.png
    208.5 KB · Views: 1,886
Did they allow you to inspect the car before handing over the check?
Anecdotal, but: I picked mine up in Indiana May '21, I did not hand over the check until I was done reviewing the vehicle. They did not ask me to do so, either. They did ask me to hurry up with my review, though. Once complete, I did sign documentation and handed over the check.

I suppose if you wanted to be "maliciously compliant" you could take a picture of your cashier's check and purposefully leave out the routing numbers or black them out post process.

Anecdotal, but: I picked mine up in Indiana May '21, I did not hand over the check until I was done reviewing the vehicle. They did not ask me to do so, either. They did ask me to hurry up with my review, though. Once complete, I did sign documentation and handed over the check.

I suppose if you wanted to be "maliciously compliant" you could take a picture of your cashier's check and purposefully leave out the routing numbers or black them out post process.
Thanks. I sent them an image of the cashier check with account # blocked.

Reactions: comanchepilot
I had a home delivery in CA (for my M3P) last week and the delivery driver let us inspect the inside of the car prior to accepting it in the app. We took our time inspecting the car, and he even told his Uber driver to wait a bit. The delivery driver also didn't ask for the cashier's check until the very end (and I was not asked to provide a copy ahead of time). After inspecting the car, I handed over the cashier's check and the delivery driver reviewed it and then had me accept the car in the app.