Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchase vs high mileage psuedo lease?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone. I had an order for a MYP and ended up having issues with Tesla actually getting the car (I'm annoyed about that part, but it's not relevant here). I was able to get the following:

2022 MYP with 4,000 miles per month, free Supercharging. I give it back after 12k miles, they give me a new one. The cost- $1200, plus $100 additional optional coverage, plus $200 for the 4k miles, which is $1600 with tax, plus $100 for full coverage insurance. I'm paying $1700. I can do this for a few months and leave, there are no long term requirements. I don't need to pay for tires or any repairs.

I drive 50k a year, with a Prius Prime. We have two Priuses and a number of other cars, so this is purely a want. I don't "need" this Tesla.

Financing a similar MYP would cost $1270/month plus $100/month insurance, so $1370. I would go through the warranty in a year and in two years for the battery. I would pay for 4k in electricity, however much that would cost, figure $1600 total?

Is paying $1700 insane based on the above conditions? I also will have the option of buying the car after 12k miles. It's like a mortgage payment. The money itself isn't an issue, so it's more would buying it outright or paying this $1700 make more sense considering my crazy usage? Originally, I had planned on driving the MYP 15k miles/yr and the Prius the rest, but I really love the MYP and don't want to drive the Prius.

Here's how I see it:
Benefits:
New car, not my problem if something goes wrong, they will give me another one, I don't need to deal with Tesla service, new one every 12k miles, I don't need to worry about battery degradation with Supercharging, no missing out on improvements, I don't pay for tires or anything breaking.

Negatives- I will not own the car.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I would purchase the PMY and drive it into the ground. Aside from tires, wiper blades you will not be spending any money on maintenance unless you need to replace the windshield or other glass. The drive train and battery are warrantied for 8 years / 120k miles. The 4 years/50k mile basic warranty covers everything else. You should be able to drive the PMY assuming 50k miles per year for 5 years or longer.

I'm trying to figure out how these numbers make any sense.

I pay less than $800/ month for my Model Y LR.

Paying $1600/ month for a car is insane to me, doubly so for a lease. Is your credit truly horrible?

My credit is perfect. The car is 70k plus tax. Interest rates are 3% from Tesla.

A lease according to Tesla is $1068 plus $1700 due at signing, for 15k per year. I drive 48k per year. A loan would be $1269/month at 3%.

So, $1269 plus paying for electric for 4k/month, which I'm thinking would be $1500. And, I would need to pay $1600 every 25k miles, so $3200 per year on tires. That's $1777 assuming no other maintenance. And, assuming the battery and drive units would go until 250k miles over five years.

(Or, I give Tesla 75k, which I wouldn't want to take from investments and would rather get a 3% loan)

Last edited:
It's 0.11 kwh at home. I would rarely Supercharge (especially if it was my car that I purchased). There are also discounts for using off-peak power.
Is the $0.11 per kWh inclusive of any power distribution charges, taxes and environmental fees? I always take the total amount of my utility bill's current charges and divide this by the total kWh used to come up with my cost per kWh.

Electricity Rates in the United States (December 2021) – Electric Choice

I would do the lease if you are going to drive the car to the ground. Tire cost will be significant and you need to change every 20-25k miles, that’s means you might go through 2 sets every year. Not to mention the steeper depreciation you are incurring with high mileage MYP. With lease you always get a new car, why not.

Hey everyone. I had an order for a MYP and ended up having issues with Tesla actually getting the car (I'm annoyed about that part, but it's not relevant here). I was able to get the following:

2022 MYP with 4,000 miles per month, free Supercharging. I give it back after 12k miles, they give me a new one. The cost- $1200, plus $100 additional optional coverage, plus $200 for the 4k miles, which is $1600 with tax, plus $100 for full coverage insurance. I'm paying $1700. I can do this for a few months and leave, there are no long term requirements. I don't need to pay for tires or any repairs.

I drive 50k a year, with a Prius Prime. We have two Priuses and a number of other cars, so this is purely a want. I don't "need" this Tesla.

Financing a similar MYP would cost $1270/month plus $100/month insurance, so $1370. I would go through the warranty in a year and in two years for the battery. I would pay for 4k in electricity, however much that would cost, figure $1600 total?

Is paying $1700 insane based on the above conditions? I also will have the option of buying the car after 12k miles. It's like a mortgage payment. The money itself isn't an issue, so it's more would buying it outright or paying this $1700 make more sense considering my crazy usage? Originally, I had planned on driving the MYP 15k miles/yr and the Prius the rest, but I really love the MYP and don't want to drive the Prius.

Here's how I see it:
Benefits:
New car, not my problem if something goes wrong, they will give me another one, I don't need to deal with Tesla service, new one every 12k miles, I don't need to worry about battery degradation with Supercharging, no missing out on improvements, I don't pay for tires or anything breaking.

Negatives- I will not own the car.

Thanks.
I wish 1700 was a mortgage payment... I pay 2600 for rent...