Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchase vs high mileage psuedo lease?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assume it's $27,000 for Supercharging and maintenance, like he paid. I wouldn't have any of that. I'm more concerned about the MS stories I have seen with the multiple drive units and batteries. His story is a n=1 sample size. There have been many model y horror stories here.
The Model Y is based on the Model 3, not the Model S. Excluding the Supercharging costs the other charging and maintenance costs, costs for repairs over 200k mile were minimal.

I would do the lease if you are going to drive the car to the ground. Tire cost will be significant and you need to change every 20-25k miles, that’s means you might go through 2 sets every year.
I drive > 30k miles a year, and replace my tires usually every 25-30k miles. The DWS06 tires I get have a 50k mile warranty, so I always get them prorated, that means everytime I get tires, I always get them for basically half off. It all depends on how you drive, and what you expect out of your tires... No way would I want to drive around on the OEM tires all the time. I'd rather drive on the tires that I like.

The other thing to consider is unrepairable flats... If you buy the tires yourself, you can get certs at Discount Tire, and the tire will be replaced for free if its unrepairable... If you lease, while you get new tires everytime you swap out cars, you will need to pay for the tire if you have an unrepairable flat... And you can't just get certs, becuase when you swap cars, you'll have to get certs again, which makes it that much more expensive...