Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchased 60kwh model s, received 40kwh!!! Upgrade help???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently I purchased a 60kwh model S through my clients who own a car dealership. They purchased it via OVE. When we received the vehicle it was actually a 40kwh model S instead of the advertised 60kwh. Through a number of circumstances we're stuck with the vehicle. I love everything about the vehicle except for the mileage. Does anyone know of a more reasonable way of getting the full 60kwh capabilities? I called Tesla and they told me the upgrade would be $11k regardless of my unfortunate situation. Please help with recommendations if possible. I'm in the Dallas, Tx area

Recently I purchased a 60kwh model S through my clients who own a car dealership. They purchased it via OVE. When we received the vehicle it was actually a 40kwh model S instead of the advertised 60kwh. Through a number of circumstances we're stuck with the vehicle. I love everything about the vehicle except for the mileage. Does anyone know of a more reasonable way of getting the full 60kwh capabilities? I called Tesla and they told me the upgrade would be $11k regardless of my unfortunate situation. Please help with recommendations if possible. I'm in the Dallas, Tx area

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation. No, there is no other way to do it. Paying the $10K upgrade is your only option.

I would spend $5K on a lawsuit instead if there is anything in the papers stating that the car is an S60.

I wish you nothing but a good luck!

Yes, this is easy to fix.

The problem will be if you ASSUMED it was a 60, or somebody verbally told you it was a 60, and nothing is written down that it is a 60.

If you have it in writing that it is a 60, then send a letter to the dealer explaining that the car is indeed a 40, and that they can either:

1) take the car back
2) pay Tesla $10,000 to have the car properly upgraded to match the written description of the car

Give them ten days to respond (write that in the letter... you have ten days to respond). Send the letter "signature required".

On the tenth day, call them, and ask if they're going to respond.

If you get no response, or the response is that they won't fix it or allow a return of the car, then get legal help.

the car was purchased via OVE which is the car dealerships auction site they use. My understanding is rules of purchase apply differently here. They apply credit back but won't pay for the upgrade.

- - - Updated - - -

My friends/associates run the dealership and they purchased it through a dealer on;y auction site that all pre-owned dealers purchase through. It was falsely advertised on that listing. We are trying to resolve it but it's not looking like a win for us

- - - Updated - - -

no there wasn't a emblem indicating which model it is, either that's a trait of the 2013 S 40's or the previous owner had it removed.

OVE aka Manheim is a dealer only portal. Everything on there is as-is where-is and auction style. There is an inspection period and it is up to the buyer to ensure that the vehicle has properly been inspected. Unlikely there is any recourse here except reselling the car or paying for the unlock.

OVE aka Manheim is a dealer only portal. Everything on there is as-is where-is and auction style. There is an inspection period and it is up to the buyer to ensure that the vehicle has properly been inspected. Unlikely there is any recourse here except reselling the car or paying for the unlock.

OVE (Mannheim) has an arbitration process that will unwind the deal if necessary. I believe there is a 14 day time limit to make a claim and a small compensation from seller to buyer if the claim is successful. OP could probably get his money back plus a few hundred bucks but has no leverage to get the $10k.

the car was purchased via OVE which is the car dealerships auction site they use. My understanding is rules of purchase apply differently here. They apply credit back but won't pay for the upgrade.

- - - Updated - - -

My friends/associates run the dealership and they purchased it through a dealer on;y auction site that all pre-owned dealers purchase through. It was falsely advertised on that listing. We are trying to resolve it but it's not looking like a win for us

- - - Updated - - -

no there wasn't a emblem indicating which model it is, either that's a trait of the 2013 S 40's or the previous owner had it removed.
I have a 2013 85. Back then they did not add emblems.

I just got off the phone with my friend who purchased the car for me, the situation is now either return the vehicle to the auction or take the small inconvenience fee the auction offered and keep the car. My concern is that I won't be able to find another 2013 model s w/pano roof with only 7k miles on it for $52k like this one. I have 2hrs now to make a decision. This is frustrating

To answer the actual question you asked, which no one else has, NO there is no alternate/back-door/hack way of getting the car to 60kWh. The only way is to pony up the bucks to Tesla for it.

Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 2013 85. Back then they did not add emblems.

Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

I now have 2hrs to decide on whether Im going to keep a 2013 Metallic Blue Model S 40, 7k Miles w/Pano roof. Cost was $52k, great freaking car but it's not the s 60 I thought I purchased. The auction has given me a window to make a decision and I'm not sure as to how to go about this being that the cars in great condition and I received it at such a low price. Is it worth taking the risk of giving it back and possibly not finding one for this price with such low miles in a S60. Your opinions and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

OVE (Mannheim) has an arbitration process that will unwind the deal if necessary. I believe there is a 14 day time limit to make a claim and a small compensation from seller to buyer if the claim is successful. OP could probably get his money back plus a few hundred bucks but has no leverage to get the $10k.

Is the OP the purchasing dealer or just a consumer that purchased through a dealer?

I now have 2hrs to decide on whether Im going to keep a 2013 Metallic Blue Model S 40, 7k Miles w/Pano roof. Cost was $52k, great freaking car but it's not the s 60 I thought I purchased. The auction has given me a window to make a decision and I'm not sure as to how to go about this being that the cars in great condition and I received it at such a low price. Is it worth taking the risk of giving it back and possibly not finding one for this price with such low miles in a S60. Your opinions and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Have you thought about CPO?

http://ev-cpo.com/

Right now there's an S60 for $59k

If it will be of a lot of use to you as a 40 - keep it. If you need the range of a 60 take 'em to court or cut your losses. My reasoning: In a couple of years I think there will be so very few 40's still out there that Tesla may just eventually unlock them bit by bit or after a certain number of years for free. Or you can get a new, better, cheaper upgraded battery new, and get well compensated for the 40 battery (which is really a 60 that has been babied by the extra large buffer zones).