Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchased 60kwh model s, received 40kwh!!! Upgrade help???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I now have 2hrs to decide on whether Im going to keep a 2013 Metallic Blue Model S 40, 7k Miles w/Pano roof. Cost was $52k, great freaking car but it's not the s 60 I thought I purchased. The auction has given me a window to make a decision and I'm not sure as to how to go about this being that the cars in great condition and I received it at such a low price. Is it worth taking the risk of giving it back and possibly not finding one for this price with such low miles in a S60. Your opinions and thoughts are greatly appreciated.
You might find the CPO thread handy for evaluating pricing:
Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

I would return it. By the time you add 11K to get to 60kWh and 2K for Supercharging, you're at 65K. That's close to the price of a 70, minus the incentives you would get for a new car. Depends where you live of course.

Besides I just hate to see a cheater prosper.

If it will be of a lot of use to you as a 40 - keep it. If you need the range of a 60 take 'em to court or cut your losses. My reasoning: In a couple of years I think there will be so very few 40's still out there that Tesla may just eventually unlock them bit by bit or after a certain number of years for free. Or you can get a new, better, cheaper upgraded battery new, and get well compensated for the 40 battery (which is really a 60 that has been babied by the extra large buffer zones).

You literally have the same thoughts as I do. I believe at some point they will eventually unlock the 40's. But then again there's no security in speculation so that's why I'm so torn on this decision. Thank you for your reply

Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

I now have 2hrs to decide on whether Im going to keep a 2013 Metallic Blue Model S 40, 7k Miles w/Pano roof. Cost was $52k, great freaking car but it's not the s 60 I thought I purchased. The auction has given me a window to make a decision and I'm not sure as to how to go about this being that the cars in great condition and I received it at such a low price. Is it worth taking the risk of giving it back and possibly not finding one for this price with such low miles in a S60. Your opinions and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Return it and get a CPO

I'd give turn it in and take your money back; it'll always bug you if you keep it. As others have noted you can do really well with a CPO car for similar amounts or not much more and you won't have the unlock fees.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Who would think that a dealer would do this? Dealers are supposed to protect the consumer, that's why states like Texas do not allow Tesla to sell cars directly to consumers.

Seriously, did you do any research or inspection of this car? If you thought it was a 60, the range on the battery would show there was something seriously wrong with this "60".

That car is not worth 52k. Get a brand new 70s for 60k ish depending on your states incentives. You'll get 75 percent more range, supercharging, better build, auto pilot upgradeability, and much much more.