Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchased Demo Car From Out of State ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just placed a deposit on a demo/loaner/inventory Model S that is out of state and may take 2-3 weeks for delivery. Since the deposit was made three days ago, the car was driven an additional 300 miles beyond what was quoted. I took a screen shot of the vehicle when it was offered to me and the purchase agreement just arrived with the extra 300 miles. I suppose I can ask for another $300 credit on the car - but what's to stop someone from putting another 1,000 or more miles on the car before it's delivered? The salesman said that once I placed the order, the car is "removed" from inventory but that is apparently not the case. Has anyone had this experience or can offer any advice? The "adjustment" (discount) was substantial: 2018 Model S with all options offered at $12k discount with 5,000 miles. Thank you!

I wouldn't worry about. Someone probably had it out as a loaner when you placed your deposit. They are taken out of service when the car is returned to the service center. We bought ours from NJ when we live in Atlanta. We flew up and drove it down to save on the $2k delivery. The savings paid for a nice road trip.

I wouldn't worry about. Someone probably had it out as a loaner when you placed your deposit. They are taken out of service when the car is returned to the service center. We bought ours from NJ when we live in Atlanta. We flew up and drove it down to save on the $2k delivery. The savings paid for a nice road trip.

I should have done the same thing. I placed an order on an inventory car on June 30. Still have not received it yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: evpulse
Please tell me why you dont go get it when you buy it?
There is no way i would trust Tesla shop. There have been a hundred post on here about buying a CPO. Not one good word. And folks have not been allowed to even see their cars till they pay and title is notorized. Loanrrs and demo cars are junk when they are presented. Read the post. Some real horror stories. Cars delivered damaged.
I made a deal in Atlanta, flew up with blank bank check. Looked at it, drove it, paid for it.
Oh, sorry, from private dealer. Since i paid cash on the spot, i got one hell of a deal. You cant price deal with Tesla.
Please read all the post on here.

Took two months for me to get my inventory car. Was not a smooth process. Car was delivered with 6700 or so miles, sold as "new" inventory. Had a lot of wear for a "new" car with 6k miles. The discount was insane, so it was fine, but Tesla "new inventory" with 5k+ miles is closer to a good used car than a brand new car. Of course, brand new teslas are also delivered with defects, so part of it is making sacrifices to drive these cars.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
There is no way i would trust Tesla shop. There have been a hundred post on here about buying a CPO. Not one good word. And folks have not been allowed to even see their cars till they pay and title is notorized. Loanrrs and demo cars are junk when they are presented. Read the post. Some real horror stories. Cars delivered damaged.
I made a deal in Atlanta, flew up with blank bank check. Looked at it, drove it, paid for it.
Oh, sorry, from private dealer. Since i paid cash on the spot, i got one hell of a deal. You cant price deal with Tesla.

I absolutely will go pick up the car and give it a full once over before completing the purchase. It's not paid for yet. The car is in Colorado and I am in Nevada. I'll wait until the car arrives here before deciding to complete the purchase. My biggest concern is: How much wear and tear should be acceptable on a dealer owned car?

Reactions: neroden
Thanks, Lasttoy! I'm not buying the car until it has been delivered to my dealer and then inspected. I would never buy a car sight unseen. My biggest concern is about how much wear and tear I should expect on a dealer owned car that has been driven 7,000 miles already. They already promised me new tires and wheels - but what do I do if there are minor chips or scratches - or worn seats? Should that be considered reasonable even though it's a "new" car?

Took two months for me to get my inventory car. Was not a smooth process. Car was delivered with 6700 or so miles, sold as "new" inventory. Had a lot of wear for a "new" car with 6k miles. The discount was insane, so it was fine, but Tesla "new inventory" with 5k+ miles is closer to a good used car than a brand new car. Of course, brand new teslas are also delivered with defects, so part of it is making sacrifices to drive these cars.
How much "wear" is acceptable on a 6,000 mile car? If this car arrives with minor dings, scratches or chips, would you find that acceptable? What if the seats are scuffed or torn or the carpet stained? I'm really starting to second guess my purchase even though I am saving $12,000......

How much are people getting inventory X75Ds for? Do they count for the tax credit?
You will qualify for the tax credit because an inventory car has not been registered yet. You are technically the first owner. As long as you complete the sale before the end of the year, you will receive the $7,500 tax credit - for any loaner/demo/inventory car. The unwritten formula is: $5,000 discount plus $1.00 per mile the car has already been driven. So an X75D with 10,000 miles on it should be entitled to a $15,000 discount. Ask your dealer if he has any available. He can search the country for cars that meet your specs.

UPDATE: I took delivery of my demo car last week and was mostly satisfied. Although the car had very minor nicks and blemishes, which I sort of expected with 5,000 miles on it, I was very pleased with the delivery. I noted the car was driven an additional 400 miles AFTER I purchased the demo car and was told they would not compensate me further unless the car was driven 1,000 miles or more beyond the recorded mileage at the time of purchase. Another strange policy: I was denied the opportunity to visually inspect the car or test drive the car before signing the loan papers. So, when the delivery agent left to gather some paperwork, I searched out the vehicle and did a quick examination before the agent returned. She was very miffed with me but there's no way I'm paying 100k for a car sight unseen. I signed the papers and became the proud owner of a new (5,000 miles) Tesla Model S 100D!

I would highly recommend purchasing a demo car if you have the opportunity. The savings was substantial and you get the added "luxury" of knowing any defects or problems with the car would have been identified during the demo rides and corrected before selling the vehicle. My particular car had two small windshield chips and a blemished headlight that Tesla pointed out to me during my walk around. The promised, in writing, to replace both components at my convenience. And, since I'm the first registered owner, I'm entitled to the federal EV tax credit.

Save yourself some money and seek out demo or inventory cars if they are available!

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and tmarcc