Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchased FSD what is next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

Last night I've pulled the trigger and purchased FSD trough mobile app, in next minute car has restarted all systems and under the software tab now I can see Full self-driving capability instead of EAP.

my car is a 12/16 MX AP2 computer with MCU1

So what is the next step for me? Will tesla contact me or I have to make an appointment myself?
Also, I have coming appointment next week for the MCU1 upgrade to MCU2.

Hello everyone,

Last night I've pulled the trigger and purchased FSD trough mobile app, in next minute car has restarted all systems and under the software tab now I can see Full self-driving capability instead of EAP.

my car is a 12/16 MX AP2 computer with MCU1

So what is the next step for me? Will tesla contact me or I have to make an appointment myself?
Also, I have coming appointment next week for the MCU1 upgrade to MCU2.

You should contact Tesla to request the FSD computer. Use the Tesla app to modify your service appointment. They should be able to do it at the same as the MCU2 upgrade.

You should contact Tesla to request the FSD computer. Use the Tesla app to modify your service appointment. They should be able to do it at the same as the MCU2 upgrade.
I spoke to Tesla support yesterday to ask questions regarding the MCU upgrade and I have asked them if they will be able to make AP computer upgrade the same day as the MCU upgrade and that lady told me they won't be able since it takes Tesla 2-3 weeks after purchasing FSD to proceed with something (she did not dive into details) but I forgot to ask what I just asked here how to get that AP computer :)))

I spoke to Tesla support yesterday to ask questions regarding the MCU upgrade and I have asked them if they will be able to make AP computer upgrade the same day as the MCU upgrade and that lady told me they won't be able since it takes Tesla 2-3 weeks after purchasing FSD to proceed with something (she did not dive into details) but I forgot to ask what I just asked here how to get that AP computer :)))

Just schedule another appointment in a couple weeks for the FSD computer upgrade.

Reactions: Mandarin
Just schedule another appointment in a couple weeks for the FSD computer upgrade.
Thank you!

I just called to Tesla support (gosh it's a pain to contact them) and today another lady told me my local SC will contact me when all parts will be ready :D Seems like a better call will be to ask my Service adviser next week when I'll drop the car for MCU upgrade.

Thank you!

I just called to Tesla support (gosh it's a pain to contact them) and today another lady told me my local SC will contact me when all parts will be ready :D Seems like a better call will be to ask my Service adviser next week when I'll drop the car for MCU upgrade.

Thats what I would do. to answer the other question, I think it takes a bit of time (couple weeks) for the system to flag your vin as eligible for the update to the FSD computer. It may not happen right away.

As to "why" that is , purely speculation on my part, but I would guess it has something to do with ensuring that people dont buy the upgrade, rush through and get the hardware, then try to reverse charges etc. Sounds silly, I know, but some would absolutely do that. Easier to just flag it a couple weeks to a month later.

Thats what I would do. to answer the other question, I think it takes a bit of time (couple weeks) for the system to flag your vin as eligible for the update to the FSD computer. It may not happen right away.

As to "why" that is , purely speculation on my part, but I would guess it has something to do with ensuring that people dont buy the upgrade, rush through and get the hardware, then try to reverse charges etc. Sounds silly, I know, but some would absolutely do that. Easier to just flag it a couple weeks to a month later.
Good point but tesla notify you that after 48 hours after purchase you will not be able to get a refund :) Anyway, I need to wait for now :)

Good point but tesla notify you that after 48 hours after purchase you will not be able to get a refund :) Anyway, I need to wait for now :)

Yeah, they didnt even used to have a 48 hour refund, it used to be final, but that didnt stop people from filing chargebacks with their credit cards, etc. You should be good, but you will likely have to do it in 2 appointments. I would recommend setting yourself a reminder to contact them roughly 3 weeks from now or so (via scheduling the upgrade to FSD computer in the app).

If you wait for them to contact you, it may take longer than that. Tesla doesnt have the best history in reaching out when they owe you something (spoken as someone who was owed a spoiler, badge, referral wheels, and HW3 computer for my 2018 Model 3P). I got all those things, but after reading about people getting them here, and waiting and waiting, I started scheduling appointments for the stuff.

Some got cancelled, but I ended up getting it all eventually (lol).

to hijack the thread a little, I've got an MY and didn't get FSD because it would have cost me a $5k NJ rebate. Once I get that, I'm thinking of upgrading. The sales guy told me all the hardware was there and it would just update the software if I paid the $8K. Anyone know if that is true/false or what?

thx

...Anyone know if that is true/false or what?...

Since Model Y didn't come out until around March 2020, I would say that is true according to the calendar of production.

All Fremont Tesla car productions coming out after March/April 2019 should have MCU2 and HW3 and all you need after that period is to pay up and the software would take care of the problem.

to hijack the thread a little, I've got an MY and didn't get FSD because it would have cost me a $5k NJ rebate. Once I get that, I'm thinking of upgrading. The sales guy told me all the hardware was there and it would just update the software if I paid the $8K. Anyone know if that is true/false or what?

thx
Your car is definitely has all up to date hardware and nothing needs to be upgraded besides software

Thank you!

I thought that MCU2 upgrade included the HW3 upgrade a matter of necessity? Has that changed? There are many posts in this forum where people reported receiving the HW3 upgrade together with the MCU2 upgrade (even though they did not purchase FSD).

• Funny
Reactions: namikun
Thank you. So, that means it’s possible to get MCU2 installed without a mandatory HW3 upgrade then. I guess some folks either got lucky or were joking when they claimed they got HW3 installed during the MCU upgrade for free without ordering FSD.

Okay, I just got my car back from the MCU upgrade which I scheduled a 3 days before I have purchased FSD. My SC has installed AP HW3.0 the same day with a new MCU2 and Cluster display.

If you are still thinking to upgrade to MCU2 just schedule an appointment right now, this thing is just unbelievable better and faster than the old MCU.

Worth every penny.

Mcu2 $2500+tax
FSD upgrade $5000+tax