Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing 1st Tesla

Model S or Model 3

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm new to Tesla. I've been reading and reading and reading. I have 2 cars I'm interested in. My 1st choice is a 2017 Model S P90D with less than 12k miles. It has EA and premium connectivity. I believe those will transfer with the vehicle, right? I looked it up on KBB and I guess the price is good. I'll post a link below.

My 2nd choice is a 2020 Model 3 with less than 10k miles. It has FSD and AB. I think it is a better deal. It is cheaper than the Model S, but man the Model S is stunning.

The boring part...I have a 135 mile roundtrip commute 4 days a week. Which if either of those will be a better choice?
Thanks for any and all input. I'll even read sarcastic and evil comments. I have pretty thick skin. :)

Model S
Used 2017 Tesla Model S P90D for Sale in Pelham AL 35124 Exclusive Auto Wholesale

Model 3
Autotrader - page unavailable

I'm not going to vote, because it really gets down to what's most important to YOU!

If you like the MS look, performance, and size over the newer tech and FSD of the M3, than go for the MS.
If you don't care about hauling stuff or people in the cavernous MS and want the newer tech, then go for the M3. Both will handle a 135 r/t commute no problem.

Too many personal factors to consider in asking internet strangers what they would do. But if you're asking what *I* would do, I'd go for the MS just because I'm partial to the MS. But that's just me. There are A LOT of M3 fans out there, which is totally fine.

Welcome to the family and good luck!

(Note: There are known issues with the P90D battery -- there are three versions V1, V2, V3. Only V3 is reliable. Search for many threads or discussions on 90kWh battery issues to make sure you're getting a v3 battery. You prob do not want V1/V2).

Agree with HLR but want to point out that you can upgrade that gorgeous MS P90D to MCU2 and FSD and it will be more or less equivalent to the M3 technology-wise (for a cost of course). The other thing to consider is that the MS ***might*** have free unlimited supercharging (FUSC); my 2017 MS did.

Also, since you're local, I'll plug triangletesla.org (Raleigh/Durham-area Tesla Owners Club). Maybe we'll meet at a post-COVID event! Best of luck.

This one shows in Norfolk, driving distance from you. not be a bad deal for a P100D

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/ctd/d/chesapeake-2017-tesla-model-p100d-sedan/7279648350.html

and EA or FSD may or may not transfer when you buy from a dealer. Several stories about how weeks or months later when Tesla does an audit, they yank the FSD/EA as it wasnt paid for by current owner.

In those cases, I suggest getting it IN WRITING from the selling dealer, that the EA or FSD conveys for life that you own the car. Gives you something to back yourself up later if it gets yanked.

Reactions: FlyingMech
This one shows in Norfolk, driving distance from you. not be a bad deal for a P100D

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/ctd/d/chesapeake-2017-tesla-model-p100d-sedan/7279648350.html

and EA or FSD may or may not transfer when you buy from a dealer. Several stories about how weeks or months later when Tesla does an audit, they yank the FSD/EA as it wasnt paid for by current owner.

In those cases, I suggest getting it IN WRITING from the selling dealer, that the EA or FSD conveys for life that you own the car. Gives you something to back yourself up later if it gets yanked.

Thanks! $70k is a bit out of my reach. $55k is my limit.

Agree with HLR but want to point out that you can upgrade that gorgeous MS P90D to MCU2 and FSD and it will be more or less equivalent to the M3 technology-wise (for a cost of course). The other thing to consider is that the MS ***might*** have free unlimited supercharging (FUSC); my 2017 MS did.

Also, since you're local, I'll plug triangletesla.org (Raleigh/Durham-area Tesla Owners Club). Maybe we'll meet at a post-COVID event! Best of luck.

Thanks, I will check that out when I become an owner

I'm not going to vote, because it really gets down to what's most important to YOU!

If you like the MS look, performance, and size over the newer tech and FSD of the M3, than go for the MS.
If you don't care about hauling stuff or people in the cavernous MS and want the newer tech, then go for the M3. Both will handle a 135 r/t commute no problem.

Too many personal factors to consider in asking internet strangers what they would do. But if you're asking what *I* would do, I'd go for the MS just because I'm partial to the MS. But that's just me. There are A LOT of M3 fans out there, which is totally fine.

Welcome to the family and good luck!

(Note: There are known issues with the P90D battery -- there are three versions V1, V2, V3. Only V3 is reliable. Search for many threads or discussions on 90kWh battery issues to make sure you're getting a v3 battery. You prob do not want V1/V2).

Is there a way the Seller can tell me what Battery Version is installed? Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated.

GREAT Catch... Thanks for that. How much should that drop the price?

Personally I think the price is good (it’s below KBB). I just didn’t want you to think you were getting something you’re not.

The MCU2 upgrade is $1500 from Tesla and FSD is probably $4-5k? I could be wrong because the FSD price has fluctuated so much. Even if you add those in the total price is still decent IMO. Agree with others to make sure EA is in writing.

Finally, I did more digging and this vehicle was manufactured in May 2017 which means it missed the transferable FUSC cutoff by 1 month. This means it only applied to the original owner. Bummer.

Personally I think the price is good (it’s below KBB). I just didn’t want you to think you were getting something you’re not.

The MCU2 upgrade is $1500 from Tesla and FSD is probably $4-5k? I could be wrong because the FSD price has fluctuated so much. Even if you add those in the total price is still decent IMO. Agree with others to make sure EA is in writing.

Finally, I did more digging and this vehicle was manufactured in May 2017 which means it missed the transferable FUSC cutoff by 1 month. This means it only applied to the original owner. Bummer.

Thanks!! Is there a way I can tell which Battery version is installed? I'm getting leary now to the P90D, but I haven't ruled it out. How is this one? Will this one have AP2?

Autotrader - page unavailable

Last edited:
I guess the FSD capability is high on your list. You probably know this but you could buy a brand new 2021 Model 3 like that one for almost the exact same price, without the FSD.

Because Tesla is such a unique car I'd be hard pressed to buy one used without the maximum amount of factory warranty available.

Reactions: FlyingMech

Would you mind telling me how to find the manufacturer's date? I'd like to do that on a few others I have found.
Thanks

note: Free Unlimited Supercharging tends to be vastly overrated by most, as far as its value. Add to that, TEsla's pay for SC charges are typically almost half of what EV America and the like charge, for their high speed EV charging. By far, for most owners? Charging at home is 90% or more, of where charging occurs. Some say you dont want to excessively use supercharging, as the jury is out on whether or not it degrades battery life.

So dont put excess weight on FUSC

note: Free Unlimited Supercharging tends to be vastly overrated by most, as far as its value. Add to that, TEsla's pay for SC charges are typically almost half of what EV America and the like charge, for their high speed EV charging. By far, for most owners? Charging at home is 90% or more, of where charging occurs. Some say you dont want to excessively use supercharging, as the jury is out on whether or not it degrades battery life.

So dont put excess weight on FUSC
With a 135 mile commute 4 times per week I’d say free supercharging adds quite a bit of value for op.

Reactions: HankLloydRight