Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing a Loaner after Trading in Current MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is offering you the same value on your existing vehicle as in their 3-year financing buyback guarantee. In the financing buyback, they guarantee 47% of the car's value after 3 years. Using the equation from earlier in this thread (17% off list plus 1% per month) comes to 53% depreciation over 3 years, or 47% residual value. If Tesla is guaranteeing this number with their financing program, clearly you can do better on your own.

my car was perfect, just had 500 miles on it....

Tesla has also been selling the display cars from show rooms (at least in Denver). The Tesla store in Park Meadows had a white P85 for a long, long time. Then they got a red P85, but only had it for a few weeks before they sold it and got a blue P85 as a replacement. I asked them what happened to the red one, and they told me they had sold it. Personally, I would not really want a loaner or a car that had been in the showroom for any period of time. I used to work retail back in college, so I have seen how many people treat merchandise in stores. Even in the Tesla store, I have seen how many people will let their kids treat a $100K Tesla like a jungle gym, climbing all over it, running into it, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

was easy, had the car in 48 hours and I financed with them ($56k @ 1.9% over 60 months) to get the guaranteed resale value... they offered $81k for my 2012 P85 (5,500 miles and MSRP 101k), but I sold it on eBay for $92k....

Can you give us some details on it? More specifically, let us know the interesting parts -- what surprised you about the process of getting one? Did you trade your previous one in, or was this a new owner purchase for you? How long did the math and paperwork take, etc. Thanks.