Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing a M3 that's only been supercharged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking at buying a Model 3 and I asked the guy how he's been charging it and he said he lives in a condo, so he's only been able to use the Superchargers. It has roughly 7700 miles on it. Should I be concerned about the battery life being degraded any because of this? He said he's mainly just driven it locally and he's never charged it past 80%. I asked if he's noticed any range loss, and he said no, but I'm sure he wouldn't be too truthful if he's wanting to sell it for a good price. With such low miles, I think it would be okay, but I was curious as to other's opinions.

Here’s a few things I would ask for if I was purchasing a used Model 3 - learned from other members on this forum.

1. Ask for a photo of the cars screen showing battery charge percentage and energy screen set at “30miles” and “average range”. This will allow you to calculate and see a snapshot of the battery’s capacity in kWh and compare with others.

2. Ask what rated miles is showing at 80% state of charge - I say 80% since that what the previous owner charges up to....or you can ask the PO to charge to 100% and state the rated miles shown.

#1 is a better indicator of battery capacity. #2 is also an indicator of capacity but it can help determine battery management system calculation drift that can be a result of various factors.

Here’s a few things I would ask for if I was purchasing a used Model 3 - learned from other members on this forum.

1. Ask for a photo of the cars screen showing battery charge percentage and energy screen set at “30miles” and “average range”. This will allow you to calculate and see a snapshot of the battery’s capacity in kWh and compare with others.

2. Ask what rated miles is showing at 80% state of charge - I say 80% since that what the previous owner charges up to....or you can ask the PO to charge to 100% and state the rated miles shown.

#1 is a better indicator of battery capacity. #2 is also an indicator of capacity but it can help determine battery management system calculation drift that can be a result of various factors.

Okay, I have to say #1 is totally foreign to me as to understanding it. I'm guessing if I send that request, he'd know what I'm asking for. But once he gives sends that photo, I would compare that with other people's M3s?

it will be fine. If really worried about it You could always have him ask Tesla to do a battery diagnostic and give to you as proof. I still say it will be fine.

I'm looking at buying a Model 3 and I asked the guy how he's been charging it and he said he lives in a condo, so he's only been able to use the Superchargers. It has roughly 7700 miles on it. Should I be concerned about the battery life being degraded any because of this? He said he's mainly just driven it locally and he's never charged it past 80%. I asked if he's noticed any range loss, and he said no, but I'm sure he wouldn't be too truthful if he's wanting to sell it for a good price. With such low miles, I think it would be okay, but I was curious as to other's opinions.

7700 miles is ~23 full cycles on LR pack, so, if really only ever charged to 80%, very little degradation should result.

Best to organise test drive in any case, during which you can charge to 100%, check range and immediately drive it off to 80% again (letting it sit while full is the worst on battery life).

If I was selling my car there is no way I’d let some stranger unsure they even want it charge to 100% and then drive off 63 miles. Be realistic. Unless buying from Tesla and doing an overnight thing.

Reactions: Reborn
I'm looking at buying a Model 3 and I asked the guy how he's been charging it and he said he lives in a condo,
so he's only been able to use the Superchargers. It has roughly 7700 miles on it.
Should I be concerned about the battery life being degraded any because of this?
He said he's mainly just driven it locally and he's never charged it past 80%.
I asked if he's noticed any range loss, and he said no, but I'm sure he wouldn't be too truthful if he's wanting to sell it for a good price.
With such low miles, I think it would be okay, but I was curious as to other's opinions.
This car has certainly a low mileage, but can you precise the month/year manufacturing date? (See the driver door label information)
Also which Model 3 version (SR, LR, AWD, P), what type of wheels, and body and interior color.
It would be interesting knowing the reason for selling it and what kind of replacement car he will get?

Beside the battery, I would look in detail if there is any wheel curb rash damage, in particular on the right side.
Also I would check the tires using a digital tire tread depth gauge to check if there is any alignment issue.

In fact, getting a alignment checked will be one of the first thing that I would recommend doing.
This is important because some users have reported getting new tires after about 15k miles, while other keep them for 50k miles or more.
I suspect that an incorrect alignment been a possible reason. I tested the alignment when new, and there was a little bit too much toe.

• Informative
Reactions: Cogarch
The guy is selling no doubt because "he lives in a condo, so he's only been able to use the Superchargers". If I were in his place, I might consider selling also.

7,700 miles is so small, the car is basically new. I have had my car less than 6 months and I'm approaching 6,000.

The guy is selling no doubt because "he lives in a condo, so he's only been able to use the Superchargers". If I were in his place, I might consider selling also.

7,700 miles is so small, the car is basically new. I have had my car less than 6 months and I'm approaching 6,000.
I’ve had mine a month and a half and I’m almost where you are plus the miles that were on it from demo usage.

Reactions: user212_nr
This car has certainly a low mileage, but can you precise the month/year manufacturing date? (See the driver door label information)
Also which Model 3 version (SR, LR, AWD, P), what type of wheels, and body and interior color.
It would be interesting knowing the reason for selling it and what kind of replacement car he will get?

Beside the battery, I would look in detail if there is any wheel curb rash damage, in particular on the right side.
Also I would check the tires using a digital tire tread depth gauge to check if there is any alignment issue.

In fact, getting a alignment checked will be one of the first thing that I would recommend doing.
This is important because some users have reported getting new tires after about 15k miles, while other keep them for 50k miles or more.
I suspect that an incorrect alignment been a possible reason. I tested the alignment when new, and there was a little bit too much toe.

At that time I talked to him, he didn't know the exact date, but he said he ordered it December 2018. It's the performance model, which of course has the performance wheels, and is black. And if the alignment is out, I'm totally okay with that. For the price I'm getting it for, I can pay for an alignment.

At that time I talked to him, he didn't know the exact date, but he said he ordered it December 2018.
It's the performance model, which of course has the performance wheels, and is black.
And if the alignment is out, I'm totally okay with that. For the price I'm getting it for, I can pay for an alignment.
Sound great! Especially getting a Performance one look incredible.
Also you seems to have made a good contact with the current owner.
I got my alignment at Big O Tires, with a free six months check.

One think to look at is the 8 years/120k miles battery warranty transfer
Also to use the Supercharger, the previous owner needs to make the transfer,
but I read in some other threads that it can take some time. If you need it immediately,
you might ask to have you own credit card assigned instead or make some arrangement.

About the FSD, do you know if the owner bought it (or got the $2,000 discount last May 2019)?
If so, it should be transferred then but good to check since you should get the upgrade to 3.0.

Reactions: rdross80
I am pretty sure Free Supercharging for the life of the Model 3 Performance car ended in 3rd qtr Sept 2018, so there's no Supercharging to transfer unless I missed something.

...far as I can see nobody in the thread even mentioned anything about the new owner getting free supercharging?

Further- free lifetime on a 3 never transferred to a new owner, even when they offered it on new 3s.

Ownership of the CAR has to transfer to the new owner though in order for Tesla to be able to bill the new owner when he uses a supercharger.