TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Purchasing a Model S from local dealer...what are they selling?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by flankspeed8, Sep 5, 2016.

1. flankspeed8

flankspeed8 Member

Greetings-

I saw that an area dealer is advertising a "2014 Model S Performance" listed at $61999.00. Here is the listing:
    Cars.com

It is rare to find a Tesla on a dealer lot, let alone a Ford dealer.

I went by to test drive today expecting a P85 but the badging did not indicate the P nor did the information console. The dealer had no Monroney sticker. It has the tech package but that is all that I can confirm.

Apparently the history of the car is that it was a purchase not a trade in from someone who was moving out of country. For numerous reasons, including the fact that there is an accident on the Autocheck I told the sales guy that I thought it was way overpriced. He of course disagreed trying to tell me things about the car that I already knew.

Is there anyway to get a replacement Monroney directly from Tesla? Can I send them the vin and ask them to tell me about it? I told the sales guy that it is kind of hard to make an offer not knowing exactly what it had.

From what I could tell it has the single charger, active suspension and Next Gen seats that did not seem to be leather. The build date is April 2014 which means no AP.

What are your initial thoughts? Walk away or try and deal. He said that they could easily send it to auction in California but I doubt it as that market is far more competitive than here in MN. I think that I would be better buying a new or inventory but I was hoping to try and snag a deal.

The VIN is 5YJSA1H16EFP43571

2. Off Shore

Off Shore Member

Feed the VIN to http://teslatap.com/vin-decoder and you'll get some more information, though maybe not all you want. I think your final thought has merit, FWIW. Good luck!

3. Footer

Footer Member

4. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

This has happened before. Dealers don't know beans about the car. If console doesn't say P85x it is not performance. That price is very high, particularly for car with accident. Look vs CPO consolidator and private sales on this site. I think you can find much better deal.

Most expensive options are obvious: tech pkg, air suspension, pano roof, 21" wheels, hi fi (look for sub woofer passenger rear), next gen seats.

5. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Don't buy a used Tesla from a dealer. Period.

• Like x 1
  6. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

As you've found on listing on Cars.com, Autotrader, etc. that 99% are not listed correctly. Either not knowing the difference or intentionally trying to inflate the asking price in hopes an uniformed buyer will take the hook.

Unless it was an absolute slam dunk and smoking deal, I would never buy a Tesla from a traditional dealer. There is no such thing as non-leather next gen seats. Those are the multi-pattern textile seats. It's just a plain 85 battery, no pano roof, no parking sensors. It has the tech package as you can tell by the chrome bars by the fog lights. If it has the suspension tab on the center screen, it has the air suspension. Doubt it has the high fidelity sound, but could check for the subwoofer in the back. Not many other option choices than that.

My opinion, mid-$50s at best. No chance at extended warranty so only about 25K more miles on the bumper to bumper. CPO is much better option.

• Helpful x 1
  7. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

RUN away - if you're looking for a deal with no warranty but low chance of any issues buy one of @Ingineer 's cars when he rotates his fleet. Otherwise stick with buying a car with warranty and no issues private party or CPO Route.

Contact a pre-owned advisor as well - the web site doesn't list everything and there are usually better deals to be had.

• Like x 2
  8. jelloslug

jelloslug Member

Yea, that is a stripped down 85 with almost no options. You can do much better than that from the CPO section.

9. flankspeed8

flankspeed8 Member

Add another DP to the dealers are shysters metric. Even after proving to them that it is not a P85 they lowered the price by about 2k but still falsely list it as a P85. I emailed the guy and wished him luck in unloading it but that I am not interested.