Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing a Model S Performance from CarMax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All,

I currently have a 2020 Model S Performance with 2k miles on hold at CarMax. I am heading down to purchase this weekend. I have confirmed the original purchase date and service history with a friend at the Tesla Service center, warranty is good until 9/2024. Car looks good and seems that there are no fitment issues on the exterior. On the interior I noticed that the B-Pillar has come loose but I can fix this and have a lot of the Tesla push pins. I actually owned this exact vehicle before but the pandemic spooked me and I sold it :) This would be my 5th Tesla so I know what to expect for the most part.

My questions is around purchasing a used Tesla from CarMax as I have only purchased new previously. Are there any horror stories or anything I should be aware of? Im guessing that the transfer to my account will happen there and a quick log out and log in and I should be golden.

Here is a link to the vehicle: https://www.carmax.com/car/20951629 I know its 100k but not really wanting to shell out 150k for a Plaid and I loved my previous 2020 MS

Any heads up is appreciated

No problem with buying a used Tesla. My first was used and it was perfect.

Any reason why you didn't look to buy from Tesla directly? They currently have a 2021 performance listed with 3k miles for $105k w/FSD included.

Im in California so it would cost 2k to transfer on top of the 105k. The link posted from CarMax also has FSD. The ultimate reason is that the car is black and I live in the High Desert so it would look like crap most of the time even if ceramic coated.

Have you considered the new Long range model S? it is nearly the same acceleration as a 2020 performance (slightly slower 0-60, but 1/4mile trap speed is much higher). the new Long range would be faster at highway speeds.

Only issue would be timing.

Im in California so it would cost 2k to transfer on top of the 105k. The link posted from CarMax also has FSD. The ultimate reason is that the car is black and I live in the High Desert so it would look like crap most of the time even if ceramic coated.
The car in the link you posted does not show FSD, and I would be surprised if Tesla would transfer that to you even if it did have it originally. It has automated cruise control.

Yeah all Teslas have ACC now, FSD not listed - then not present would be my assumption.

As for whether Tesla would transfer FSD if it were there - why not? If it's present then it is a paid for option which would transfer with the car life any other option. In the past Tesla have reportedly blocked some after transfer software upgrades (60-70 battery for example) but I've not heard of that nonsense in a long while.

You must verify that the car has FSD and ludicrous mode included. When I was shopping for my P100D, Vroom was listing P100D's at decent prices but the cars DID NOT include ludicrous mode(this was the only reason why I wanted the car.) The salesperson verified that it was not included and that I could repurchase the option from Tesla directly after I bought it from them. I ended up buying a used '17 P100D directly from Tesla. It took a month of checking the tesla site every day for new inventory. They tend to list the new inventory of used cars after midnight.

The car in the link you posted does not show FSD, and I would be surprised if Tesla would transfer that to you even if it did have it originally. It has automated cruise control.

CarMax does not list FSD you can only see it in the vehicle menu itself, which I confirmed with the CarMax sales rep. They do no acknowledge it for trade in either. All vehicles have Autopilot in 2020

You must verify that the car has FSD and ludicrous mode included. When I was shopping for my P100D, Vroom was listing P100D's at decent prices but the cars DID NOT include ludicrous mode(this was the only reason why I wanted the car.) The salesperson verified that it was not included and that I could repurchase the option from Tesla directly after I bought it from them. I ended up buying a used '17 P100D directly from Tesla. It took a month of checking the tesla site every day for new inventory. They tend to list the new inventory of used cars after midnight.

Yeah, I owned this exact vehicle prior to the pandemic. I will be checking for everything. On difference is that Ludicrous+ was no longer an add on with the 2020 model and was sold with every vehicle. I have seen this happen if the car goes back to tesla or ends up at an auction but if this was transferred/traded to CarMax I'm crossing my fingers.

Have you considered the new Long range model S? it is nearly the same acceleration as a 2020 performance (slightly slower 0-60, but 1/4mile trap speed is much higher). the new Long range would be faster at highway speeds.

Only issue would be timing.

I went to check on my transfer of the 2020 and noticed that there is a 2021 Refresh LR75 miles from me! I set up a test drive first thing in the morning! - https://www.carmax.com/car/21407733

Update: Pics on that link are pretty crappy on that link like an early 2000's cell phone. Crossing fingers this was just someone that wanted to get off of work early. They didnt even put the mats in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1.21GW
Based on history, Id not bank on the FSD remaining with the car. It may for awhile, but unless its private party to private party or Tesla to private party sale? HIGH chance next audit that Tesla does (could be next quarter, or end of this quarter), they will remotely remove your FSD. Has happened to MANY.

So, I'd suggest setting your expectation that FSD will be gone. On a bright side, having had FSD? Its not that great and certainly doesnt do what the CEO of Tesla has stated it would do. (Robo taxi, NYC to LA with no intervention at all by end of 2019, etc)

I just bought a Tesla from CarMax. The transfer was done by the home office and took a few days. As far as FSD goes, I bought another Tesla from a dealer and it maintained the FSD, so I doubt you have to worry about that. Just check with CarMax to verify it was a trade in.

Reactions: derichio02
I actually found a vehicle at from Tesla as well, 2020 MSP with FSD and 21" wheels with only 4k Miles and the extra year warranty. Seems it was purchased right before the cut off for 2021 last October. I'm really between this vehicle and a used 21 MSLR from Carmax. I have my buddy checking the service history now. I am a bit weary of why the vehicle is at Carmax with only 500ish miles. Did they hate the Yoke that much?

Here are the two I am deciding on:

1634328377805.png

1634328458287.png