TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

purchasing a roadster out of warranty??

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by quitecar, Sep 11, 2013.

1. quitecar

quitecar Member

Can you purchase a warranty from Tesla?

2. jeremyz

jeremyz Member

There used to be a place on the Roadster section of teslamotors.com where you could buy a 3 year extended warranty (covering everything including battery) for $12,500. I think there was a requirement that you buy within 30 or 90 days of your Roadster going out of warranty. I just tried to find it again, but I couldn't find. I'm not sure if it's disappeared or if I just missed it.

3. shrink

shrink Member

Tesla Service | Tesla Motors

EXTENDED SERVICE AGREEMENT

Tesla’s extended service program covers the repair or replacement of Roadster parts due to defects in materials or workmanship provided by Tesla. Coverage begins on the date your warranty expires, as long as you purchase this service within 30 days of your warranty’s expiration.
    To buy, visit a Tesla Service Center or call (877) 798-3752.

[TR="class: odd views-row-first, bgcolor: transparent"][/TR][TR="class: even, bgcolor: transparent"][/TR][TR="class: odd views-row-last, bgcolor: transparent"][/TR]
    1 yearUp to 12,000 miles$3,000
    2 yearsUp to 24,000 miles$4,000
    3 yearsUp to 36,000 miles$5,000

BATTERY EXTENDED SERVICE AGREEMENT

Tesla’s extended battery service program covers the repair or replacement of Roadster lithium-ion batteries. Coverage begins on the date your warranty expires, as long as you purchase this service within 30 days of your warranty’s expiration.
    To buy, visit a Tesla Service Center or call (877) 798-3752.

[TR="class: odd views-row-first, bgcolor: transparent"][/TR][TR="class: even, bgcolor: transparent"][/TR][TR="class: odd views-row-last, bgcolor: transparent"][/TR]
    1 yearUp to 12,000 miles$3,000
    2 yearsUp to 24,000 miles$5,500
    3 yearsUp to 36,000 miles$7,500

4. bart513

bart513 Member

Jeremy,
    I purchased the extended service agreement (3 years/36,000 miles) for $5000 last month. You have to purchase within 30 days of the expiration of the original warranty. For some reason I don't think that it is available in every state.

5. jbadger

jbadger Roadster #506

What sucks is the fact that there were quite a few Roadsters that were out of warranty by more than 30 days by the time they started offering the extended warranty. Oh well, guess that means I don't have to worry about modifying my car now.

6. bart513

bart513 Member

Great point! Nice to live a worry free life. Also if you drive the car a lot the 36,000 miles can go quickly before the 36 months are up........

7. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

My Roadster has been out of warranty for almost a year, and they STILL don't offer an extended warranty in Washington. (Not that I think I'd want to buy one, at that price with the terms excluding almost everything that can go wrong).

Still, Tesla has said that when (I am starting to wonder if I should say if?) they do offer a warranty here, they will let me know and give me 30 days from when it is offered.

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

All you had to do is ask. They almost certainly would have made an exception, because it was impossible for you to purchase the extended warranty.