TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Purchasing a spot on Ebay Question

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Phantom_Frog, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Phantom_Frog

Phantom_Frog Member

Hi,
    I am new to the Model 3 Forum. I am a current Model X owner.

My little brother is in the market for a model 3 and has seen a way to purchase a reservation from someone on ebay.

I know very little about the model 3 process, but is this possible? Has anyone else on this forum purchased a reservation from someone else and actually received the car? What are the pitfalls?

Thank you for your help and input, it is much appreciated. He is eager to join the Tesla family.

2. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

I have a coworker who purchased a spot on ebay and had his car in two weeks. They just changed all the account info to his info.

3. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Member

Yes, it is possible. Since you are a current owner, why don't you make the reservation for him? It may take a couple of weeks, but you'll likely be invited to configure in a short amount of time.

Otherwise, he'll likely have to spend a few hundred dollars for the reservation, and the only benefit of buying the reservation is getting the car a bit sooner.

• Like x 3
  4. Phantom_Frog

Phantom_Frog Member

I would love to buy one for him and get him one in weeks, but I was told from multiple sources at my local Tesla store that they ended the current owner priority program. So I would be put at the back of the line. My gallery advisor told me that they ended this on May 22nd.

• Informative x 2
  5. T-Will

T-Will Member

I think this would be the first I've heard of this. I wonder if Tesla corporate could confirm this?

6. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Member

Interesting. I think it's still worth trying, and seeing what the reservation page states after you submit the payment. It used to mention owner priority. As far as many of us know, the owner priority does not apply to the AWD or Performance 3.

7. Trips

Trips "Boring bonehead questions are not cool. Next?"

I believe the owner priority still applies to the RWD and not the AWD. I would try and order it for him if I were you and transfer into his name.

8. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I can confirm that Tesla doesn't give you any trouble about transferring the reservation. I took over my girlfriend's reservation and there were 0 issues.

9. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

If you're determined to buy someone's reservation, try to look for people on this forum who don't want their reservation(s) anymore. That's what I did. I wanted to buy a reservation so I could save my other reservation and get it sooner, but all eBay listings I saw looked fishy, so I ended up looking for people on this forum asking to buy their reservation and it worked!