Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would take some time to read a number of threads on this site before embarking on such a project.
I would also consult your local Tesla Service Centre on the process so you know what you are getting in to.

These cars are somewhat different to "normal" cars in that they are substantially software controlled and in general require links to Tesla for a considerable part of their functionality. Tesla will only accept tdamaged vehicles back on support once they have gone through an extensive (and presuambly not inexpensive) test at a Tesla service centre.
The parts can also be difficult and expensive to obtain, the technical information and service manuals are strictly controlled, though with the internet there are ways to obtain it ofc.

So, in short not impossible, but take care to ensure you know what you are letting yourself in for, lest you end up with an expensive mistake.
Good luck.

I would advise not to do this. A few hints:

- You can't get parts from Tesla if you don't own a Tesla. You can't get new parts from anywhere else. Your damaged car is not yours according to Tesla. You will have to resort to eBay and hope you can find the parts there. As there are lots of revisions done over the years getting the correct part could be difficult.
- If the car is officially totaled/scrapped you might have lost Supercharger access and possibly the onboard SIM is cancelled.
- The car also will no longer receive software updates from Tesla.
- Tesla will not service the car
- You cannot use the App

If you want to restore all this you need Tesla to re-certify the car. This costs approx $4000 USD (according to Rich Rebuilds).

These are all points that you will not see with any other car. If you would repair eg. a damaged Audi any dealer will be more than happy to shake all the money you have out of your pockets. They will happily fix and service anything as long as you pay for it. Tesla will say no thanks.

An Audi does not have an onboard SIM, does not have Superchargers and has no App. You can get parts from literally everywhere, etc, etc.

As Rich Rebuilds has also mentioned: Tesla scrap cars are going over the counter for absurd prices and are most often not worth the money you paid for it. Now I don't know if this is only true for the US or for Europe also, but some of the parts are in big demand, especially the battery pack.

Considering the time and effort and the uncertainty of the repairs I think it is better to buy a good second hand vehicle.

Now to answer your question, in The Netherlands we have sites for buying totalled cars, such as:

"sloopautos" means something like "wrecked car; for parts only"

Tesla sloopauto - Broekhuis
Tesla Sloopauto's overzicht

The UK also seems to have similar sites:

https://www.copart.co.uk/lot/21597427

Please also see:
P100D Salvage in England

Especially the user posting: "My friend with the Model S returned from the local Tesla parts dept having been told they will no longer deal with him - he's been buying small mechanical parts for weeks but it seems the 'Salvage Ban' has caught up with him !". Tesla really does _not_ want you to do this. Now regardless is that is fair or not (I think it is not), it is a fact as of today.

Little side note: it might be worth considering that some of the parts on eBay could very well be taken off stolen cars. Since a stolen Tesla cannot be used on the road (since they call home, rely on Internet, etc) a stolen Tesla will be sold for parts, always.

If you repair and re-certify a Tesla and Tesla finds you've used stolen parts, you could be charged for possession of stolen goods and your car will not be re-certified.