Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing a used Model 3 Need to make the drive home and use superchargers

jimtelsa

Mar 31, 2013
Simi Valley
Buying a used Model 3 and need to make a long drive home using superchargers

How can I do this till I have the car in my name

Can the current owner add me as a driver for the ap?

i wont have the registration changed for a day or so and not sure if I can charge at superchargers

thoughts?

Krobbler

May 16, 2021
Michigan
I just did this on my new to me my19 LR.
You do not need registration to transfer ownership. They accept a bill of sale as long as it states vin, your name, and address. I purchased from a non tesla dealer so the original owner was already removed and marked it on the website as sold.

Once I uploaded the bill of sale, ID, and CC info it has you rename the car following prompts on the tesla site. I was approved and ready to supercharge in 5 min. People in the past have said this took days to weeks to finalize. Per tesla customer support they streamlined the internal process to make it easier.

jimtelsa

Mar 31, 2013
Simi Valley
Just an update

The owner allowed me to supercharge on his account to get me home

once I got home I got an Email that stated the new car was added to my account

I logged out and back in with the ap and there it was

Online I was able to add an additional driver

I guess the previous owner took care of this?

Have not asked yet but pretty cool

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC