Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing a Used Model X - Timeline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I would share my experiences with purchasing a used 2016 Model X from tesla.com.

A bit of background, we already own a 2018 M3 LR with everything expect FSD, we were one the first in line locally (Bay Area) and have a 20K VIN. That process took just over 800 days and was very frustrating and exciting! We also are getting ready to install Solarglass within a couple months with 3 Powerwalls. We are all in Tesla.

The MX is perfect for our family and while I realize I am buying used with AP1 and MCU1 and I am ok with that. I never use Smart Summon and rarely use NOA on the M3 as well as Cuphead and all that other stuff. Not having some of the Sentry features is a bummer but I am sure I will find some great posts by fellow Tesla owners on how to address that. Plus I figure we can drive this MX and then sell it in about 3+ years when the warranty expires and use that $ towards a Cybertruck, New MX, or the MY if it looks appealing.

6-seater was a requirement as well as white interior so a new one with comparable features a few thousand short of $100K before incentives and I really did not want to spend that much on a second car so a nicely used MX is way more desirable. Yes, a unicorn would be cool too but I am not waiting around for that to happen.

11/27 - After quite a lot of searching over the past few months I found a Silver Metallic 2016 MX 90D with about 44K miles and fully loaded (Premium, Subzero, HiFi, 22" wheels, Carbon Fiber Decor, Ultra White, and 6-seater). AP1. 24K VIN, Price $69,200 with 4yr/50K. No scratches or wear, clean car. I actually requested a callback on this MX from Tesla and the sales rep (who actually grew up down the street from where I live!) was super cool and very responsive and helped me along the way. I placed the $100 order fee and was quickly provided the car details on my tesla.com account page and filled out all the necessary info. Pictures of the MX are here. Immediately my account page has the car loaded and I can start filling out required information.

11/28 - Thanksgiving and assuming Tesla is closed

11/29 - No word yet from Tesla on delivery but the account page has the order agreement as well as a MVPA that errors out when clicked on. I am assuming that is an automated thing and an employee needs to publish that document once delivery is set? I can also pay for the car using ACH but I prefer to pay via Cashiers Check so in case I have to refuse delivery it won't be an issue. I'm also assuming Tesla is closed due to day after Thanksgiving.

11/30 - No update yet probably due to it being a Saturday.

I will add more here as I get more info, but I thought I would share because I think it is helpful to get information from many others when working with Tesla. I am very excited to get this car but also realize that working with Tesla is hit and miss so I am trying to keep my mind open as much as possible and keep realistic expectations.

Thanks for listening!

Reactions: Akikiki
12/1 - Sunday so no information today
12/2 - I emailed my sales advisor and got his out of office but inquired about using a Cashiers Check at delivery
12/3 - Got an email from the sales advisor that Cashiers Check is ok but also got some disappointing news. Apparently the car had been previously ordered and shipped to North Carolina! I am in the San Francisco Bay Area and the listing originally had my local area indicated. Financing fell through for the previous buyer and their transaction was cancelled, but the car still got shipped because someone forgot to cancel the shipment. So now Tesla is going to pay to have it shipped back to the Bay Area and it looks like I will be waiting for another 2 weeks because of this. Ugh.

12/4 - Busy day today! Got a text message that my delivery is scheduled for this Saturday at the Fremont Delivery Center! Then I emailed my rep and he said that those dates are computer generated and to not expect that actual delivery date considering this situation. Bummer. I will have my Cashiers Check ready to go just in case. Fingers crossed....

New Here. Hello everyone. I got a price quote of $69K for 2016 Model X P90 with 22k miles. This is the original Tesla build sheet
P90d: $115,500
Dual motor all wheel
22" carbon heels: $4500
Black Leather seat: $2500
Carbon fiber Decor: $1000
7 seat: $4000
super charger enabled
autopilot: $2500
72 amp charger upgrade: $1000
Premium interior package: $4500
Ultra fidelity sound: $2500
Subzero weather package: $1000

Total $140,750.

Is this a good deal? Will the super charger transfer (Original buyer from 2016). It hit the market yesterday and I put the deposit right away. Dealer has 3 other people wanting it.

THanks in advance

What is 72 amp charger upgrade:? I am a TESLA newbie trying to learn. The car I put deposit on is with TESLA currently (Dealership sent it to them as they always do for their own inspection) and the following repairs are being done:. Is this something I should be concerned?
*the fender piece on pasg. side rear
* the cupholder sliding cover in front center console
* and replacing loose dr. side rear door open and close switch on b-pillar

12/9 - Just got an email from my delivery advisor that the car will be ready for pickup on Thursday the 12th!

Summary:
Placed the $100 order fee on 11/27
Delivery scheduled for 12/12
15 days total with a Holiday in there. Not too bad.

It's not over until it's over aka in your hands, so good luck.

BTW - are you able to edit the original post to have the full timeline up there?

• Helpful
Reactions: Cbmd81
Picked up the car today! Very happy with our purchase.

Attachments

• IMG_0505.jpeg
    IMG_0505.jpeg
    802.3 KB · Views: 92
Reactions: Akikiki