Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing a used MYP while I wait, thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m in line for an MYLR that’ll probably be delivered some time next year. By looking at the spreadsheet here in the forum with average time to delivery plus the September delivery thread, I’m guessing the car doesn’t come before mid-January.

I have a colleague that is selling an MYP, Black/White, 5 seat. 10k miles and in good shape. He’s asking $59k.

Yes, there are sales tax to deal with and give Uncle Sam his fair share, but I was wondering what everyone thought with that asking price and whether I’d be getting away to recouping most of that if I put the car up for sale come February after I pick up the MYLR.

For me, I have my Chevy Bolt repurchase that GM should be buying back next week, so we’ll be out of a car. I was thinking that might be a decent placeholder for now.

I wouldn’t need to finance it (fortunately), and I was thinking with the wait times only getting longer and a used EV credit possibly coming into play next year, I wanted to see if I am just delirious or if the idea makes sense.

Thanks in advance

What about selling it in the private market? Haven’t sold a car for more than $20k, not sure if it’s much tougher at the $60k range in the private market

I think Tesla offered my friend $55k when he went to pick up the Plaid

What about selling it in the private market? Haven’t sold a car for more than $20k, not sure if it’s much tougher at the $60k range in the private market

I think Tesla offered my friend $55k when he went to pick up the Plaid

I loosely heard (against just internet talk) that it is not easy to sell cars over $50K privately (except for collector cars I'm sure). Tesla offers the lowest for their OWN cars... lol. Check other threads. Often by $5K-10K.

I think your friend is giving you a great deal. Carvana typically pays you $4-5K less than they sell it for (from my experience of submitting cars to sell). i.e a used MYP is selling for $71K

I suspect you could get low-60s but of course with the tax credit in 2022 that might take a $5K-8K hit.

Reactions: eMahle