Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing from a non Tesla Dealer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found a 2016 S85 with Autopilot for sale buy a used car dealer and not a private party nor CPO.

It has a about 6K miles on it and has the following options from what I can tell:

Premium Upgrade Package
Autopilot convenience features
Enhanced Auto Pilot
Panoramic Sunroof
High Amp charger

I have attached some pictures from the settings screens, but how do I go about confirming these options?

Does it have supercharging? Is it free unlimited?

They are asking under 65k for the car and that seems like a decent price. I have been watching the CPO market as well.

Thanks in advance for your input and opinions.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 124
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 80
I believe with the changes imposed by tesla the supercharging goes with the owner not the car.

Also worth noting you can't buy an extended warranty since it was sold by a 3rd party dealer according to tesla current warranty docs

Can anyone purchase an Extended Service Agreement?
Owners (excluding 3rd party dealers and vehicles purchased from a 3rd party dealer) with Model S or X vehicles subject to the New Vehicle Limited Warranty which are still within the eligible purchase period can purchase the Extended Service Agreement.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
I am aware of the extended warranty, but with only 6k miles on it is that something I would need?

Here is the vin: 5YJSA1E18GF120928

Now dont go an be buying it out from under me....
Lol. I already have a new S 90D so I wouldn't do that. :rolleyes:

I tried looking it up at TeslaInventory.com in the inactive listings but couldn't find any historical data for you since it wasn't originally listed on Tesla's website as new or a CPO (at least not since February 2016).

Is that something that can be retrofitted? Otherwise might just go back to CPO market and get a 2014.
Autopilot can't be retrofitted. Elon said it would be the equivalent of a spinal cord transplant.

As for the fascia, it could be retrofitted. If you search around here, there are posts where at least one owner bought replacement parts from Tesla and refreshed his front end himself.

The nice thing about a CPO is that it will have a new 4 year warranty. A used Tesla will only have the remaining balance...so less than 3 years left on the one mentioned above.

Badging can say anything. My badging says P85 and my MCU says P85 (rooted) but its an s85. Only Tesla knows the VIN configuration for sure via their database. Corporate owner makes me think maybe it was a limo or rental company. I bought mine from a private party limo company, said it was too expensive and never requested. Just an anecdote to chew on.

AP2 cannot be retrofitted. You're getting fit and finish and maybe a facelift here... if you can find a similar CPO car you might be better off in terms of $$. Hard to say.

"Autopilot convenience features" and "Enhanced Auto Pilot" are mutually exclusive.
AFAIK there was no 85's with AP2.

85's were discontinued in 2016, so this is likely a very late 2015 or early 2016 production date - you can check production date on the VIN door sticker.

If you want to confirm the badge, take a picture of the instrument cluster when in park, or the about window on the big screen (tap the Tesla logo). Also, maybe ask for picture of rated range when fully charged.

PUP you can check with a screen capture of the control screen - should have "Ambient Lighting" button

High Amp Charger should show "0/72A" on the charging screen when nothing is plugged in.
Dual charger should show "0/80A".
"0/48" is refresh standard charger (can be upgraded to 72A)
"0/40" us the older standard charger (can be upgraded to 80A).

You can also check for pano, SAS and Winter package on the control screen. UHF you'll need to check on the audio equalized screen.

Do you have access to the car or is this all a remote purchase at this time?

The one recommendation I would make is make the sale subject to inspection by Tesla SC, even if you have to pay out of pocket for it.

• Informative
Reactions: demundus
There are over 400 CPO's listed by Tesla currently which would have new warranties and dozens are way in the $40k to $60k range. I bet you could find something to your liking. Good luck in your search!
Fyi, ev-cpo.com seems to show more cars, at least for inventory (only noticed that recently, when helping a friend Tesla site suggested an inventory vehicle that was not listed on teslainventory, but on ev-cpo it was there). I just took a screenshot of both, asking for inventory cars sorted by price, ev-cpo has more.
evcpoVSteslainv.png

Fyi, ev-cpo.com seems to show more cars, at least for inventory (only noticed that recently, when helping a friend Tesla site suggested an inventory vehicle that was not listed on teslainventory, but on ev-cpo it was there). I just took a screenshot of both, asking for inventory cars sorted by price, ev-cpo has more.
View attachment 228431
Thanks for the info. Flagging @DÆrik .